View Single Post
Old 09-15-19, 07:05 AM   #69
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Firstly, for the photos of Y-guns used on Fairmile boats (and frankly all kinds of armament used on them), check out this link:

http://www.rcnfairmiles.com/category...ction/armament

Now, the description under these photos says "Y-gun Mk.III" which seem weird considering source you've posted, but it might be a mistake or different naming used by British/Canadian navies than USN.
Excellent, that's more or less the kind of pictures I was looking for!

The US naming for the different Y-gun models is: 'Depth Charge Projector', followed by the mark number and the lettering 'Y-Gun' in brackets, so the numbering is relative to all the types of DC throwers in US inventory, including Y-guns, K-guns, and a number of experimental DC launching devices that never entered service. It is likely that in commonwealth service the lettering 'Y Gun Mk III' was equivalent to the US Mark 7, i.e. the final mark of Y-Guns. If my speculation is true, from the pictures contained in your link we must conclude that the different Y-gun marks had similar external appearance, and probably similar performances as far as can be simulated in a videogame.

On a side note, the model shown below is my rendition of a Y-gun that, for my own fun, yesterday I have drafted on the base of pictures pictures, drawings and sizes found in the OP that I had linked earlier here.

If you think it can be used, I will finish it and I will gladly share it with you together with various DC barrel meshes that I had modelled in the past.

Quote:
From photos I've found, initial 1940 Fairmiles didn't seem to carry Y-guns at all. Oldest photo I came across that clearly shows Y-gun on deck is a boat launched in 1942, and photo itself might be from even later time. It's pure speculation, but my working theory is that as Y-guns were replaced in front line ships by K-guns during the war, the surplus Y-guns filling the stocks might have been gradually bolted onto coastal vessels like Fairmile. That's why my plan was to make Y-gun available from late 1941 and before that have it only carry DC chutes.
Sorry, I had not noticed that the Y-gun was a mid-war refit for Fairmiles. That considered, your speculation is perfectly plausible though it is likely that by the time K-guns entered service and Farmiles started being retrofitted with surplus Y-guns from bigger ASW vessels, older Y-gun marks had been scrapped and the most common type still in service was the Mark 7 (i.e. Mk III in Commonwealth service).

Quote:
- Trying to add obj_Funnel controller invariably gives me CTD. So no luck adding funnel smoke for now.
You are probably trying to attach obj_Funnel controller to an empty node. That controller must be attached to a node/bone with a 3D model, otherwise it will crash the game

Quote:
- Blowing up fuel tank causes weird effect: ship is "blinking" several times (disappearing for a split second), then texture changes into incomprehensible mess with many parts transparent and others showing black "damaged" mask and a second later ship disappears.
Dat unit textures going haywire in SH5 once the said units are damaged, is a well known problem. Try reading again the [TEC] thread that I pointed to you many times, starting from post #170 for possible fixes (make sure to read several posts after that, as finding a proper fix was a gradual process). I don't know if the suggested fixes will also iron out the "blinking" problem though, this is the first time I hear about it...

Quote:
- I noticed Y-gun to have "ASW Weapon" zone type in damage editor, does it mean weapons can be made destructible? That would be cool (imagining desperate player forced to surface and then managing to blow up DC rack with a flak gun )
Yes, you should check that the zone type you have mentioned as is 'Destructible' property set to 'Yes', in which case that equipment can be smashed out by a well aimed shell or bomb. If you assign a damage boxes to sub-parts (such as the second Y-gun arm), with some luck they can be ripped apart from the main equipment model. During my tests, it emerged that only damage boxes are required. Collision spheres on small equipment would redundant, as they would be entirely covered by the collision spheres of the main unit.

Quote:
- Water spray at bow and stern appears and disappears seemingly at random when ship goes at high speed.
Height of the bow spray node relative to the water line might play a role. Have a look into PT boat's bow spray, and try using similar settings on your unit
gap is offline   Reply With Quote