View Single Post
Old 10-28-20, 01:50 PM   #2078
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
I'm saying I was overwhelmed with a multitude of "ship sighted" dialog boxes when there were 4 ships to sight. Time compression was at 1 (one) since this occurred right as I loaded the save. If I managed to do something that stalled the amount of "ship sighted" dialog boxes for a bit as the save finished its initial loading, the sonar mouse issue did not manifest itself.
lol - text communication - dontcha just ~love~ it?... The text prompts you are getting though, are they all inside the same 'normal' text box, or is the game generating another separate text box, for each notification? I understand the attempts to avoid something that might corrupt your load.

Now, that is a possibility, but I've been playing this game off and on for over 7 years now and I've been shelling out occasionally for all the time I've been playing and NEVER had this type of corruption before.
The problem with FotRSU is its "footprint" in memory, hence the need for LAA. It is a larger mod than most others, and something that barely caused a "blip" previously will now take out or corrupt several aspects of the game.

I'm gonna try a fresh install using only your recommendation with one caveat, more duds. Playing FOTRS Ultimate without more duds at the start of the war is like playing an arcade shooter version of Silent Service with just some colorful graphics to make it look prettier.
When activated at the start of a mod set-up, and left alone, neither the AI mods nor the dud mods should affect things. I am not as certain about the 399 menu ini mods, nor anything that alters some of the other 'main' files of the mod. Just be certain that your Steam game is NOT in the Program Files folder of Windows, even if it is inside the Steam folder. You can install Steam, and hence its Library folder, in any folder you want. I have mine on the F: drive on the desktop, and the C: drive on the laptop as "\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common"... I just replaced the "Program Files (x86)" portion of the install path with "Games" on the laptop. If you have multiple, usable hard drives or partitions in your computer, you can have a Library folder in each drive. Even after installing into say "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApss \common", you will still find parts of Steam itself in a "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" folder, but the Library folder and SH4 game should not be there... Also, delete the Save folder. Do NOT restore old Saves to it.

Going back to your first statements above, how much RAM do you have in your computer, and / or how many background applets are running in your systray in the lower-right by the clock / calendar on the taskbar? Going low on usable RAM is a problem with the game. Also, one of the idiosyncrasies of loading Saves of this game is the replaying of past events as it loads into memory. This is why if you have a radio station playing, the game has to play the last event played, even if it is from 15 weeks ago, or of the radio messages received sometimes repeating, any encounters with an anti-sub net results in a banshee scream when loading, a torpedo being fired sounds, repaired damage reports repeating, etc. but yours does "sound" to be overly rambunctious...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote