View Single Post
Old 10-22-23, 08:46 AM   #17
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmastersims View Post
I know I am necroposting, but I likely have figured out why this is happening.

I highly doubt that drive speed matters. I am using an external NVMe drive with about 1000MB/s read/write speeds. The deck gun is still stuck.

The deck gun code probably doesn't work as intended if the game is installed on external drives for some reason. I only copied and pasted my install to an internal SSD. With only FotRSU installed on both external and internal drives, I got the deck gun to work.

So to everybody who is experiencing this problem, only install SH4 with FotRSU on an internal storage device. It is not recommended to use any external storage device whatsoever. This particular part of the game code being unable to function properly while installed on external storage is the most likely cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzi View Post
Is the correct folder and drive for the game registered in the Windows registry?
Approximate location in the registry:
"hklm\software\WOW6432Node\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\GameUpdate"
"hklm\software\WOW6432Node\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\GameUpdate"

Have you tried using symlink for your external hdd?
Console command as administrator: mklink /D с:\games\sh4 X:\sh4
X: this is your external HDD with the NTFS file system.
Besides mazzi's excellent points above, the hard drive issue would be more of one concerning bandwidth, and not so much HD speed. Even a 5400rpm IDE drive supplies enough bandwidth on the ATA interface for the SH4 game. An external drive, with the necessary "interpretation" of the interface, is generally apparently "slower", no matter the interface, but especially USB2 or earlier.

@mazzi: Have you ever tried to use the Windows Path setting for similar reasons? We had put a batch file in an earlier FotRSU to set the player's path, but dropped it due to "user prompting" complications, and fears of trashing someone's computer settings. However, I have noticed "better" performance with the game's FotRSU folder on the path, though I do not know how to "test / compare" the difference between a registry setting from either an install, or use of SH Validator to re-set it, and having the registry point to an original install folder, while the path points to a modded copy of the game...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote