View Single Post
Old 06-13-22, 05:50 PM   #1343
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Can someone explain the naming convention for merchants in Dark Waters/OM. Example K-MF-M P etc. Quite annoying, always disliked it in OM, confusing and does not seem realistic (is it?) . I am trying to decide what to rename things. Japanese ships were easy, just looked up Maru names and tonnages. I believe Allied merchant fleet is too varied and large , will end up with same ships in every convoy.
K=Kingpost, M=Mast, F=Funnel, I forget "P"... It describes the lay-out of the ship, and helps differentiate between similar looking ships. However, you do have to be close enough to tell the difference between a post and a mast... The ONI books were sorted the same way. You had to know the "class" of the ship you were attempting to find first, including its approximate tonnage. That is one reason for the disparity between claimed tonnage, and actual tonnage sunk. Mistaken identity happened all of the time, on both sides, and both sides were constantly changing the looks of their ships, including altering the mast heights and painting funnels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Hmm looking at it now..referring to this section?

How I am reading thos, if sink a neutral ship -1 renown? but then "Wrongship sunk" is -5000 as is end campaign. Now, in two patrols I sunk three neutral ships..two large tankers on last one so high value,. In the the folders, each vessels .cfg their renown value. I wonder if neutral, that becomes negative renown and perhaps enhanced based on figures in this file and once adds up to -5000, ends career.

If you sink a Axis ship, your own side, you get -10 which will end your career, the number as you is (positive) 1 for Allied.

[RENOWN]
RenownReachGridObjCompleted=500
RenownPatrolGridObjCompleted=200
CompletedPatrol=100
NEUTRAL=-1 Renown value times (multiplied by) -1 = the negative value of the ship subtracted from your score ie: 500x(-1)=(-500) aka: 500 points removed from your score.
ALLIED=1
AXIS=-10 Similarly, only 10x the renown removed ie: 500x(-10)=(-5000) or 5000 renown deducted from your score.
WrongShipSunk=-5000
FirstRankRenown=1000
SecondRankRenown=3500
EndCampaign=-5000

Hopefully this will work, I don't like having to make there not be neutral ships per history, but given combat conditions in early war, hitting a neutral is inevitable if they are sailing in a convoy.
When you set the Neutral "modifier" value to 0, it is a 500x0=0 equation... You could set it to 1, and gain full renown, or try 0.5, and maybe get 1/2 the renown... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote