View Single Post
Old 02-03-21, 12:42 PM   #2697
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicfire1981 View Post
Ahoi. After a decade of abstinence I wanted to figure out how americans play without map contact updates (i have it on, to double check) and the weird TDC...). It's amazing and earned my deepest respect that you still work on a game which is as old as SH4.

I started reading the whole thread, but am nowhere near completion; I have questions^^
how do you manage without map updates? 4 bearings & stadimeter only? your recognition manual does not even have the ships length, also no RAOFB (as in SH5 wolves of steel)?
I started in an S-Boat (Asiatic Fleet, Beginning of the war) did some sinking and was then called to the "North Watcher" Area, western Java Sea. As I passed Surabaya I was ordered to immediately return to Surabaya to end patrol - in not ignoring that message - did I miss out on some content?

After ending 2nd Patrol in Freemantle (taking some selfies with Enterprise) I reloaded several times as I was hoping to be assigned to coral; but they only had Convoy College (Luzon) or an Agent to Mt. Forgotitsname...
Surprisingly I had enough fuel to go from freemantle to Convoy College, cruised a bit, sunk some junk (literally) and make it back to Brisbane (patrol started 15.04., so I guess I just missed the message to rebase.) Came home somewhere in Juni and received the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal the second time. Got a new boat, the sturgeon, but can't get an SJ radar (which I had in my S-Boat)

Does this sound about right? Or is there something funny with my save for whatever reason?
The US boats did not have an RAOFB. Ship lengths are not in the RecMan, since US boats, going by documentation, did not use "the wire" method. However, MacGregor the Hammer does have them in his Speed Reference Sheet thread. As for a Coral Sea assignment, Brisbane command was not so hot, or prepared for the Battle of the Coral Sea, and only had four S-boats available to send out, and they were too late for the start, and of the four, only one got a shot off at a damaged Okinoshima returning from Tulagi as it was approaching St George's Channel south of Rabaul.I don't remember if there are any assignments there in v1.39, but there are more "Solomons" assignments for the next version, and a person might happen to see 2CA and 3DD on their way out, if they get an assignment early enough, and can get their Speedy Gonzalez S-Boat there in time without breaking it... A Fremantle boat will not be assigned anything remotely close to the Solomon or Coral Seas. Only west and north. As for SJ on the Salmon boats, if you came back after June 1, 1942, the SJ should be part of your new boat. Let us know about that ASAP, if you will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Just one correction to my sequence: When I chose to take the Gato I was in Fremantle. Taking the Gato auto-transferred me to Pearl Harbor. I later requested the transfer to Tulagi, and then to Milne Bay. Note that I was never in Brisbane as a visitor or as an assigned base. Yet the mission out of Milne Bay (that is what showed on the Start Mission screen) actually started out of Brisbane.

So, it is not necessarily dependent on having been stationed in Brisbane, or perhaps even Pearl Harbor. It is definitely in the Tulagi-Milne Bay sequence.
My guess here is that Tulagi is messed-up, but Milne more so. While you didn't transfer to it prior to its being "active", the Flotillas file does have it "active" prior to the base being there, and since SH4 does not use "dates" per se, but rather "time passed", that might further confuse the game, and it is probably thinking that the base is no longer active, as far as the Flotillas file goes. Plus, since Milne is "copied" from Brisbane, some dingbat forgot to change one of the "spawn-in" locations for Milne Bay... sigh. - Both fixed (hopefully) for the next version...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote