View Single Post
Old 06-19-20, 11:40 AM   #1344
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Klum View Post
When in the war do fleetboats get that blue skin for which they became so well known? I played a campaign through to 1943, but the tambor I was using for that campaign never got the new skin, and instead remained black-skinned with the early war conning tower the whole way through. Bug?
Not a bug. The new skin begins on 19430101, but there have to have several pieces in place. You do have to come back in to port after 19430101, and go back afterwards, and even still, it might take a time or two, depending upon which base you're at. Just because the game shows something starting on 19430101 does not mean it will. The conning towers are strange beasts. A person has to have enough points to "qualify" for an upgrade, which only come based on date. The first change can happen sometime after May of 1942, but you are either offered a submarine upgrade first, and if a submarine is not available to upgrade to, then a conning tower upgrade is offered - but only if you have enough points to "qualify". The points awarded are the difficult part to manage in FotRSU, and we are still adjusting the parts for "balance".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
Just curious... When I submerge at dawn in my Tambor class boat I find that I'm starting to get CO2 warnings about noon. That's maybe 6-8 hours tops.

I do have more than the standard 60 man crew. I know that in Real life it would make a difference but do you know if it does in the game?

The real world Tambor is reported as being able to go 48 hours at 2 knots submerged. And I understood that staying submerged from 12-48 hours was not unusual
No one, of course, breathes "air" on your boat, and as far as we know, they do not model that in the game. The CO2 gauge comes on with just a slight rise in the CO2 level of the game. The only way to really tell how the CO2 is affecting your crew, is to monitor your crew... If they start ignoring your orders, then you have to surface... I have not attempted to find out when that happens in FoTRSU, but unless we did something we don't understand about (very possible), the settings for that should be close to what Stock has. Perhaps someone else can comment about how long they have managed to stay under... ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
I get that, worked in computers for 38 years. BUT.. Why does the game go from a TC of 1024 down to 8. I do understand a pause while the PC (Win 7 64 bit) does it's 'housekeeping' , but not the game change part.
In the game's config, these are the settings that will bring the TC directly to 8x:
RadioReport=8
Particles=8
PrayState=8
The Radio Report is the most common, but some don't change the TC at all, others take you to 1x TC. PrayState is when you are being hunted. Particles are generated, such as a torpedo launch... or smoke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
Hey, neighbor! I feel your pain! Spent a few decades in software development myself. I'm not sure that we'll ever get satisfying answers to all the technical whys and hows. This game was built pre-Vista and has never played nicely with many of Windows features.

Plus it's a bit of a Frankenstein's monster. There are artifacts that appear to have been copied whole-cloth from Silent Hunter III then just never used. Some of it's been repaired over the years with mods (which can easily introduce their own weirdness)

My latest "death" occurred when I plotted a course into Freemantle and came in with Time Compression over 1000. Loaded up a save and ran it again reducing Time compression just before I got close to port... worked just fine. I like to tell myself that TC didn't give some "friendlies" time enough to navigate outta my way.

Of course, there's some confirmation bias. We tend to notice these things more when something goes wrong.
1024 TC means every 1 second is 1024 seconds, or over 17 minutes. A lot can happen in that time frame, such as traveling over 5100 yards if at 9 knots...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote