View Single Post
Old 06-06-20, 06:16 PM   #1227
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebMottel View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the mod. I've been digging into it, I love the immersion but a couple of things have been bugging me, but it may be me missing something.

1. The briefing of the first mission (US) tells me I need to run on 1 engine while on the surface at night. Is there any way to do this? I have tried every menu and tab and can't find this as an option. Maybe this is just some flavour text, but it's bugging me that I may be missing some shortcut or trick.
2. I'm trying to complete the tutorial for the 90 degree realistic attack. However the ship I'm attacking just doesn't appear in the in game identification manual. I've been through every single category (including merchant ships) This has lead me to just turn off "realistic attacks". Am I meant to be consulting a pdf somewhere instead?

These two things I have Googled ad infinitum, so any help would be much appreciated.

Bonus questions, which I mention while I am here but haven't Googled as much:

3. I have never worked out the relationship between the "gameplay settings" and the "difficulty setting" I select when I start a new campaign. Which takes priority? I would assume it would be the "gameplay settings". But then if so, why can't I alter it when in game? This makes no sense. I never have any idea what realism setting I am running. This is true for all Silent Hunter Games.
4. Is there any way to tone down the garish purple blue colour of the sea? I love the twilight and night colours of this mod, but can't get my head around the royal prussian blue of the ocean. I much prefer the more realistic beige/green of the SH5 WOS mod, or even the light cyan of vanilla SH4, although equally cartoony, the hue is more realistic. Is there part of this mod I can disable?

Many thanks.
First point: Most of the early briefings are based upon actual mission orders. It is next to impossible to fulfill most of those kinds of directives, since the Fleet Boats in the game are actually disguised U-Boats, and as such only have two engines joined together as one. You cannot do a forward on one screw and reverse on another to turn faster either (sorry KaleunMarco - terminology again). You also do not have Uncle Lockwood looking over your shoulder to make certain that you dive during daylight hours, and only surface when it's dark. You also do not have Mr Christie making certain that you are using his blessed magnetic pistol. So think of most of that verbiage as "filler", or as "immersion", whichever your case might be, and be governed accordingly...

Second Point: That is one of several ships that have a sil that does not match the actual ship. It is listed as Large Modern Composite, but if you look in the Sea folder of the NKLCS_Nagara, its sil has a different cabin and stack arrangement. DanielCoffey is doing the team a favor by diving into the Recognition Manual and doing new sil files, based upon the 3D image of the ships. Refer to his thread Ship Silhouettes. He did the Nagara in the first set. Now, I linked you to the 2nd post, where he has the download links, but be sure and read from the first post. Very good stuff. When he is finished, we will of course liberally thieve from him, giving proper credit, and make him an honorary member of the society of nutty people...

Bonus Points: Gameplay and Realism have Main Menu settings, and Career Menu settings. The Main Menu is easy enough to see. The Career Settings are accessed by clicking on the radio console to the left in the US Captain's Office, or the file cabinet between the wall map and exit door in the German Captain's Office. The "Realism" selections will enable different Gameplay settings, but there isn't one that satisfies me, so I usually just set what I want as I start a new career. Each career can have its own settings, while the Main Menu controls all Submarine School, Multi-Player, Single Missions and Quick Patrols. As for the ocean color, when comparing to SH5, that is the Atlantic to the Pacific, and similarly with the Stock colors. The Pacific can look "greenish", but usually only during storms, or if in colorful lagoons with green foliage nearby. If you ever go on a boat tour off of Hawaii, it is a rather blue blue... Arguments will persist about how accurate the color of the water is, and it depends upon where you were when you remember how it looked, as well as the time of day and sunlight, or lack thereof. Time permitting, we'll get around to some "tweaks" in that regard, but the ocean color at this time is a low-priority task.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote