Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 08-10-19, 02:31 PM   #8444
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

As for certain sounds, there are several possible causes:
1. You've added a mod on top of FotRSU. Remove any mods on top.
2. Your sound card and Window's audio settings do not match Silent Hunter's 44.1 kHz - which in Vista with early DRM, if you have UAC set high, might "kill" some audio from playing, because you don't "own" it... You could try to turn the UAC down a notch. XP (especially) and 7 don't care so much about that.
3. You didn't empty the Save folder before you played FotRSU. Remove the mod, delete the save folder, re-apply the mod, play the game, re-set your video and audio, etc. to what you want, exit, play again.
As for the DiveAlarm and other certain sounds, CapnScurvy and I went through all sorts of gyrations in the early days of the mod, testing and tracking down "The Sound". Thanks to one of the beta testers (name escapes me just now) who suggested deleting the creaks sounds. CapnScurvy has always said "when in doubt, emulate Stock". Upon further investigation, and comparing FotRSU files to stock, it was determined that certain looping 3D sounds should only be "mono" audio, and no more than 15 seconds in length, with "clean" entry and exit points to hide the "seam" when it loops. We went through every audio file in the mod, and made them all conform to the "Stock" paradigm. A few months ago, Slyguy3129 found that some of our files were over 15 seconds in length. I could not find where we accidentally re-introduced this 'error', but my guess is about v0.56, but they are in there incorrectly in v0.90 RC3, back to what they were in FOTRS. We have since edited the files again for conformity, and they'll be in the next release. With a proper-lengthed DiveAlarm and Creaks files, other audio does better also, not getting "run over" by the tails of a file that shouldn't be playing still...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote