View Single Post
Old 06-24-19, 07:47 PM   #8284
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have found one of the references that I remember reading of, concerning a US sub being attacked by an IJN DD with torpedoes...

I'm reasonably sure I read another report about one, but I might be remembering one of those WW2 sub movies...
OK, I am surprised that cdrsubron7 did not berate me for not having mentioned Commander Howard Walter 'Hap' Gilmore as having two torpedoes shot at him while patrolling the Aleutians in 1942, when attacking three destroyers. cdrsubron7 may have made a Single Mission for it in "FOTRSUC7AL05_Three Of A Kind"... I am trying to find the Patrol Report for it... be back later.

Wow, I found it kind of quickly:
Confidential
------------
Subject: U.S.S. Growler 0 Report of First War Patrol
----------------------------------------------------

0522 (M)
Vessels are destroyers.

0555-0600
ATTACKS NO.1, NO.2, and NO.3
----------------------------
Conducted attack on three DD's. Fired one torpedo (heavy head) at each of first two. Both hit amidships. Fired two torpedoes (light heads) at last destroyer. First missed; second hit under foremast.

06-00-30 (M)
Third destroyer fired torpedoes from tube nest between stacks.

06-00-35 (M)
Ordered 100 feet.

06-00-50 (M)
Fourth torpedo hit third DD under foremast - heavy flames.

06-01-20 (M)
Torpedoes swished down each side of Growler. Heard on sound and by ear. Swung hard left away from DD's which were emitting explosions. Counted three (3) heavy explosions and 53 lighter ones. Growler rocked considerably. When we fired last torpedo we were about 300 yards directly ahead of first DD and 200 yards on port bow of seconds. Heard screws from third destroyer about two minutes. They stopped and were heard no more. The torpedoes fired at Growler upset observation plans and robbed Growler of initiative in evasion. Had planned to remain at periscope depth to check on patrol vessels and planes. After going deep and due to distrubance of explosions, which prevented good listening, decided to remain deep and retire. Continued toward deep water, increasing depth in case of planes.

I don't know about you guys, but I find this very interesting. Notice that they are at periscope depth during this attack run, and the DD see their 'scope...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-24-19 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Growler
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote