Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 09-10-18, 04:42 PM   #6568
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

TC is not the issue. It just compounds the problem. We recently discovered a dozen stacked RGG in and around Saipan in the US_HarborTraffic file, that had another dozen RGG placed exactly below the first set, with the same exact routing. Fremantle was similar, though not quite as bad. My guess is that the intention was to have "'round the clock coverage" by patrol vessels at 12 hour intervals, running the same routes, and then have the file split into "layers", like most of the other files in the game, with 41a, 42a, 42b, etc. However, it never progressed further than the "copy" stage. This is in stock v1.5 also...

Some of the groups are for different eras of the war, but most aren't. So you have two sets of PC (Patrol Craft, not "Politically Correct") that spawn one on top of the other (bad), compounded by them never terminating, but rather doing endless looping (worse), and being spawned every 200 hours at a 50% rate (really bad - worstest even), which works out to every 8.333 x 2 days, ie: between 16 and 17 days' time, another PC (various ship types) spawn in the same place. You go out on a 60 day patrol, and each of those 12 groups (actually 24 of them, in other words) has spawned 3 or 4 ships for each of the RGG, roughly 40 ships are now occupying the space that two did when you left on patrol... That's the bogging-down we're seeing.

It could well be similar in the Jap_HarborTraffic file (Formosa), though I did split that file, so even if I didn't see them somehow, they don't run for the whole game's time frame. My guess is airplanes there. Imagine though, a Harbor after four years of this, if you never save & quit the game (which starts the process over - I hope!). TC magnifies the slow-down from the game attempting to render six or seven dozen (double-digits) ships instead of just six or seven (single-digit)... This issue is still in our current "working" copy, but we hope to have reduced it even further by the time the actual mix for the Beta comes to you all - along with all sorts of good CapnScurvy changes that are just way-cool (I like the hypen, btw )...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote