View Single Post
Old 04-05-18, 08:38 PM   #5870
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Ok, just reloaded a Save from my refuel/rearm at Tulagi. My boat is the USS Grenadier (SS-210); Date is October 20, 1942; Base time is 9:44; Weather is clear; seas moderate. We are running on the surface. I have both radars, SJ-1 Improved and SD-improved. Both radars are ON and showing one air and multiple surface contacts on the F5 display. Boat is 8.0 NM from Tulagi "anchor" symbol. According to the Watch Officer there are no visual targets in sight. What my just completed testing shows is this:

The "T" key turns off the SD radar only; I have to go to the SJ radar to turn it off manually. Using the T key to turn both on, as the note says, does not always turn on both radars. That seems confusing, and I wonder if it is the result of repeat using the T key? Repeating using the T key to turn off the radars (both, according to the message posted) results on only the SD going off; still have to turn off the SJ manually.

I noticed that when I turn them to "ON" via the T key, air contacts show up, but surface contacts do not. If I look at the two screens at the radar station, both screens are dark. Turning on the SJ radar starts the display, but the SD remains dark. If I then turn off the SJ so that both are dark and go to the SD screen, turning it on turns on BOTH SD and SJ (both screens are lit, and targets show up on the F5 display)

It's all functional and controllable as is; it is just that the "T" key does not seem to do what it says it did, at least in this particular situation.

I took some screen shots, but don't know how helpful they will be.

EDIT: Corrected Boat Name and Class!
OK, anything in the Guadalcanal area, first of all, let me warn all of you that The Tokyo Express is entirely too frequent, and entirely too good at dropping depth charges on your boat... like killer superman DD, all high-end gear and crews, and I'm talking in October and November of 1942, trying a couple of cdrsubron7's Missions, from the above post of his... sheesh, more Campaign changes coming...

Anyway torpedobait, CapnScurvy is definitely trying to get the radar to function in a more sensible manner, but the game has short-changed the player in more ways than one with these little bugaboos. The use of the "T" key is supposed to control the SD Radar. The <Ctrl><T> combination is the combo to turn the SJ Radar on and off. We have not attempted yet to keep up with the documentation for the mod. Again, check the keyboard chart in that "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" file.

I am forgetting the whole story at this time, but there is a method to the madness, since SH4 is not like the original Silent Hunter, so anything we do for radar (especially) is a work-a-round. Doing another test mission this evening, and I was getting contact reports, apparently from the radar, for surface ships, even though I only had the SD on, so we'll double-check things again, but it's almost like any little thing you do in the game that the game does not like, will result in some quirk that will show itself before long.

In my case, I had paused the game and started MSI AfterBurner to record another unusual occurrence, and then started getting the radar reports... As far back as I can remember, the game has had some rather strange quirks, and a few of them can be gotten rid of (for a time) by saving the game, exiting the game, then re-starting the game, and loading the save - though a player really shouldn't have to do such, it is what it is...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote