View Single Post
Old 06-27-17, 10:03 AM   #18
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
I think the TA is modelled as a chain of sensors, perhaps the more sensible in the latter part of it and perhaps not, I never bothered. OTOH when it's true that streaming 1/3 of it serves almost as well as streaming the whole would be an hint in this direction. If so, when the TA is say 1/3 below the layer and 2/3 above, in the reality I would mostly get signal from below (by say 90%?). If so yes, one better knows where the tail of is TA is
AFAIK, the towed is just a sensor at the end of a cable. There are no sensors along the cable itself. The goal is to get the sensor as far as possible from the streaming object. That distance is about 1/4 to 1/3 deployment for US subs. Beyond that, it's diminishing returns, unless you're close to some surface clutter or something where extra length means more depth of the sensor away from wave action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post

I am curious to know if the TA going under the layer is actually modeled correctly or not?

I have a feeling that in the sim, the TA is actually just a straight rigid wire that pivots around the end of your frigate.

In the DW manual it states in the FFG TA section that even if the TA wire appears bent and is at XYZ depth, it is not being modeled in the sim.

I'm not really sure what's going on, this might require some multiplayer or custom mission sleuthing to figure out?
It is modeled correctly, at least for subs. I've watched my towed dip beneath the layer and see all surface contacts drop off, for example. Doesn't the FFG output the array depth?

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote