View Single Post
Old 09-30-16, 07:54 AM   #62
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

@RR
You ninjad me. How rude! :P. Of course, it's totally my fault for staying up all night and playing video games instead of sleeping and then trying to put together a detailed and factually accurate post .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
If you subsequently take another stadimeter shot, it will correct the error. But why would you use wrong procedure to introduce the error to begin with?
They both introduce error actually. Your method has the target moving from the wrong position which causes the PK to change the AOB at an incorrect rate, which results in target course error. I honestly don't see that it makes a difference either way. Since the target is closing, a second reading will be more accurate and also allow you to verify your readings so it has an intrinsic value anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
What is easier than picking the wrong column off a chart when under time pressure?
Bah, I almost always know my lead angles like half an hour before I actually launch a torpedo :P. More seriously, I can honestly say that I have never missed a target that way. I don't know how many firing solutions I've worked with tables, but it's probably several hundred or even more so I genuinely think it's a total non-issue.

Edit: Of course, now that I've committed those words to the interwebs, I'm sure that ol' Murphy is going to come along and make damned sure I miss my next shot due to exactly that reason...