Old 11-11-13, 12:49 PM   #620
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Work in progress!

External ballast tanks will be highly sensitive to enemy fire, even on smaller calibers and they wont be repairable at open seas. Even with all external tanks destroyed and flooded, submarine will still have necessary buoyancy to stay on surface, however, underwater operations will be significantly effected, from minor maintaining depth problems to complete inability to perform any kind of underwater operations.

P.S. Plj, the manual really rocks!
I'm afraid I must to give up from external ballast tanks concept.

Leakage into external tanks with the boat surfaced (Table 1).
Leaks into external tanks are not dangerous for the boat. The reserve buoyancy in each case gives enough displacement, which also is not affected by trim change. In the case of flooding all external main ballast tanks, and main ballast and reserve fuel oil tanks, including regulating tanks, regulating and reserve fuel oil tanks, and negative buoyancy tanks, the pressure-proof main ballast tank 3 gives enough displacement of 47.00 m³ with level immersion.
The buoyancy when external tanks are flooded is (values are rounded, regulating tanks, regulating and reserve fuel oil tanks, and negative buoyancy tanks are half full):

This is not possible to simulate in SH5 because we do not have access to manual controls for submarine ballast tank and dive planes. I can simulate extra weigh cause by flooded external ballast tanks but problems will start if you try to dive in these conditions.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote