View Single Post
Old 06-26-11, 08:53 AM   #1652
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default U-boat Surrender (5)

Quote:
I have played around a bit with the 'Report Contacts' button and it seems it can be quite useful sometimes!

I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to break/remove this feature Have you thought about using instead of the 'Report Contacts' button one of the special maneuver buttons in the chief engineer menu? Breaking these special maneuver buttons does not have such consequences as breaking the 'Report Contacts' button because you can perform all the special maneuvers yourself. I think this would be a much more solid solution than breaking the 'Report Contacts' feature. It would also make sense: You order the Chief Engineer to prepare the special maneuver of sinking the boat and then the radio man sends the message.
Sorry guys, but I'm moving faster than you can make alternative suggestions.

I have now a completely functioning surrender mod (for the second time), this time based around the concept of:
1. Use Report Contacts button (reprogrammed) to notify an intention to abandon ship. SSB has given me a nice shiny new red Report Contacts button to adorn the radio controls.
2. Then send Radio Status Message to BdU. This brings up a dialog box informing the player that the boat is abandoned, and there are 10 minutes in which to self-sink (scuttle) the boat.
3. Then the black screen of death, modified to show how many crew survive and whether you are rescued by Allies or U-boat.

I need only to write the documentation to have completed the mod - after spending some two weeks of daily, multi-hour, work on it. It would be a very expensive mod, if I billed my time. Therefore you can understand that I am very reluctant to start having to look for code intercepts for the Chief Engineer, neither does he have any spare buttons, even if their function can be replicated with key presses.

I find it hard to believe that the Radio Contacts button is useful. No one here knew its purpose, when I asked earlier, which shows how useful it was. I had to discover the function for myself, and I found it worthless in operation. I claim "squatters' rights" for the use of this button, since I discovered its use and its coding, although I shall be happy to find an alternative option if Hsie's wolf-packs mod ever needs it. But that is unlikely to be soon.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote