View Single Post
Old 06-07-11, 03:54 AM   #1438
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Thanks very much everyone who made comments on the idea of a U-boat surrendering/being abandoned at sea.

I take the point that one could also roll dice for a similar result, or use SH3Commander's randomising routine, but that is not really the same, is it?

You wait until until you are sunk, and then roll a die (one die, two dice) to see whether you can play again. The problem, as I stated earlier, is that then there is no incentive ever to return to the surface when the position becomes hopeless underwater. You will be sunk either deep or on the surface, you still get to roll your die. So you might as well stay submerged and hope for a miracle.

With a surrender option, you have to be on the surface first. That is an important difference. And if your radio is wrecked, then you cannot signal. That seems realistic to me.

I'm still working on the code.

Concerning hull damage as test:
There has been a lot of debate in the past about how much the crew should know of the boat's damage condition. But, realistically, it would be obvious on the surface, and fairly obvious from the extent of leaks when submerged. Long ago, as one of his first mods, H.sie produced a four-colo(u)r indication of hull-damage, white, yellow, orange. red. This is fitted to NYGM as standard. No reason why users of other mods, including GWX, shouldn't use it too.

@H.sie:
I can do the English translations for you, into naval English.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote