View Single Post
Old 07-19-10, 05:07 PM   #18
jdkbph
Captain

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
Aye its true. The advancements made over the past couple weeks have been incredible. People just need to be a little more patient though, as some of them are still behind the scenes and need to be perfected.
You know, I really appreciate the efforts made by the talented folks in this community. Most of the mods are very good - as good as we've seen from the professional devs - and some of them far surpass anything we've seen form the professionals.

My concern with SH5 is not about what can be done by modders, but what can't be done. If there are significant issues with SH5 that simply can't be fixed due to lack of access (legally or technically) to the affected files and code, then I would guess most of the modders will be asking themselves "what's the point?".

Some of these significant issues that no one (to my knowledge) has touched yet are:

• Extending the campaign to 1945, which would necessarily require development or activation of the relevant techology, platforms and AI.
  • Building and importing new platforms, such as more merchant types (what do we have now... 4?)
  • Rewriting the campaign to remove the mission, target and tonnage based objectives, and restore the free flowing patrol based campaigns of SH3 and SH4.
  • AI that behaves in a reasonably believable manner.
  • Etc.
If that stuff can't be fixed, I'm never going to play it... no matter how good the water and sky look or how great the latest interface is (with apologies to those working on interfaces and environment).

JD