SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Das Boot. Best film ever? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205795)

B4rberblacksheep 07-15-13 04:52 PM

Das Boot. Best film ever?

In response to the article on the homepage I decided to go and take a look at Das Boot. Whenever I see it mentioned I've only ever heard great things about it so I decided to take the plunge and dive right in (sorry). I did watch the English Dub just because it was so late I really wasn't up for reading but one thing really surprised me. The dub feels perfect. When I saw it was dubbed I expected Clint Eastwood level of dubbing but whenever the characters spoke it felt as if they had spoken in English when filmed. It definitely helped with the immersion into the film and the little bubble that you're put into whilst watching.

I don't normally like a film where there are reasonably long segments where nothing is happening but whilst watching Das Boot I found I just didn't care. Granted there where long winded sections but I actually felt that was where the heart of the film lies. Not as I expected in the action but rather in the inaction. The sailors going about their day to day lives aboard a U-Boat added so much to the film that I actually cared when someone died (when I managed to recognise them) and actually felt genuinely nervous if they attempted to hide from a destroyer.

All in all I have to thank Subsim for pointing me at what has almost certainly become my favorite films of all time without a shadow of a doubt. I'd also definitely recommend anyone who hasn't watched it to go and watch it (Even though I probably was the only person on the forums who hadn't XD).

Well that's my two pennys worth, what's yours?

EDIT: If this is in the wrong section apologies

Platapus 07-15-13 05:02 PM

Welcome aboard!

I too like Das Boot. I don't know if I would consider it the best film ever, but it is certainly the best WWII submarine movie that takes place in a type VII. :D

Mittelwaechter 07-15-13 05:08 PM

Welcome aboard, Herr Kaleun.

The best film ever?
We may commonly agree it's the best U-Boot film ever.

There is no best film ever. It all depends on personal taste and genre.

I.e. I like "Night on Earth" by Jim Jarmusch too.

u crank 07-15-13 05:32 PM

Welcome to SubSim B4rberblacksheep.:salute:

It's a good movie and kinda got me interested in submarine sims.

nikimcbee 07-15-13 05:41 PM

WWMD?

What would Midge do?:hmmm::03:

Red October1984 07-15-13 05:45 PM

The original actors did the dubbing in their own voice. That's why it feels so natural.

The thing I don't like is how the words don't match up with the mouth movements....and it's a German movie. I feel it should be watched in it's original language.

Btw, Welcome to Subsim! Happy Hunting! :woot:

Rhodes 07-15-13 05:45 PM

Not according to Midge! :D

Ducimus 07-15-13 05:52 PM

Great submarine flick? Without a doubt.
Great war movie? Most certainly.
Best film ever? Hardly.

What would I say is the best movie ever? I couldn't even begin to attempt a guess. There's just too many good movies to choose from.

nikimcbee 07-15-13 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducimus (Post 2084728)
Great submarine flick? Without a doubt.
Great war movie? Most certainly.
Best film ever? Hardly.

What would I say is the best movie ever? I couldn't even begin to attempt a guess. There's just too many good movies to choose from.

That would be "Run Silent Run Deep.":up:

Red October1984 07-15-13 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikimcbee (Post 2084740)

That's my favorite sub film.

:yeah:

WernherVonTrapp 07-15-13 07:58 PM

Welcome abroad, B4rberblacksheep.:D
I saw Das Boot when it was first released in U.S. theatres with english subtitles.
Definitely a good movie,:up: but not the best.

August 07-15-13 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikimcbee (Post 2084740)

I figured you for "They Were Expendable". :)

Kptlt. Neuerburg 07-15-13 10:35 PM

Das Boot is the best movies on submarine warfare from the Axis point of view and by far one of most historically accurate war films that I've ever seen. Best way to watch it in German with English subtitles, watching the English dub is like watching one of those Japanese movies from the 80's with an English dub it just doesn't work.

And welcome to Subsim B4rberblacksheep.:Kaleun_Salute:

Red October1984 07-15-13 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg (Post 2084810)
Das Boot is the best movies on submarine warfare from the Axis point of view and by far one of most historically accurate war films that I've ever seen. Best way to watch it in German with English subtitles, watching the English dub is like watching one of those Japanese movies from the 80's with an English dub it just doesn't work.

You do realize there are some semi-major inaccuracies? Like the base they originally sail from wasn't under German control at the time the movie takes place in?

But...still...nobody notices that because it's such a good movie.

+1 on the dubbing opinion :yep:

Skybird 07-16-13 05:27 AM

I wouldn't call it the best movie ever, but it is a very good one, and probably the best - most realistic - submarine movie so far.

Too many war movies paint war clean and tidy, and as entertaining popcorn movies.

I recommend to watch Das Boot as the 410 minutes miniseries, of which there are two versions. Second best option is the directors cut. The looser in this "competition" is the commercial first release to the cinemas, it cuts things too short.