SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Silent Hunter V Dev Team Interview: Deeper, Kapitän, deeper. (1/19/10) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160292)

ETR3(SS) 01-19-10 10:14 PM

Nothing personal Rhaas but every time someone mentions they have a Mac I think of this.

warning profanity

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant

brett25 01-19-10 10:15 PM

This is likely an economic decision from higher up to keep the costs down to a certain level, and the devs are forced to do what they can within their allotted budget, which was probably cut by corporate. Unfortunately this is a reality in the world today-here is no money around (unless you work for goldman sachs). Im sure that this genre is considered a risk for Ubisoft, and they are balancing risk versus the future sales. However, that said, there would be no excuse if its a poor game, just that they probably needed to make some hard choices to remain withing budget. I will be a loyal customer, as long as they did a good job with what they've done. Modders should not be required to fix a game, just add more content. Its a serious bummer that there will only be type VII, but im hoping that the immersiveness, gameplay and graphics will make up for that lack. Highly detailed VII interior with lots of interaction. Please, please no arcade style gameplay!

jimmie 01-19-10 10:21 PM

The approach is very interesting. So they won't make a "technically correct" but sort of lifeless feeling sim like Il-2 (tho I admire Il-2 much).

The thing is, I kinda worry that with current technological limitations of programming, portraying psychological part of uboat life isn't easy... Say about Das Boot experience. If the crews on boat wearing very clean military clothes to the end and boat is so neat and roomy maybe I wouldn't feel like a part of Das Boot..

But still, I think the approach is very interesting. The other aspect is, we would like to have a solid framework for building "technically correct" sim. I hope modders will be able to add a lot of geeky stuff. For the extending campaign to 1945, I feel it would be very hard work tho. Probably it's not possible: how you add "program" for certain particular advanced weapon in which nothing close is included in the base game...

On the other note, this direction makes sense for console version in mind, I think.
My only disappointment at this moment is the BDU is yet again not interactive and important. Yeah, it's doesn't get too many attention in Das Boot but..

So hardcore simmers will incline to voice commanding and so on more? Will there be a log book in the interface?

jasondef 01-19-10 10:24 PM

Maybe not great, but...

If you'll indulge my humble opinion, it seems every retail release in the Silent Hunter series has always seemed sort of "unfinished" or sort of rushed, and never seems complete or all it should be. Its been the modding community here that has always transformed these titles into a great game, worthy of my time and devotion of countless hours, late into the night.

And it sounds like SHV will continue that tradition, seemingly content with releasing what I can almost call a sort of "beta" build 1.0 of the game, basically just giving a good base of a game and a great start, and then letting the modders sort of "finish" it, and putting the spit and polish that it should've had to begin with.

But perhaps this is the best they can do within their budget, afterall we are a "niche" market, not a mass market for this type of game. So whatever initial offering of SHV they give us on the retail shelf, undoubtedly it will eventually be another awesome title in the SH series, and with next generation graphics! (Not that that's the priority for the sub-simulation experience, but heck I didn't spend way too much buying myself a new computer for Xmas for nothing!)

So despite all the anticipated shortcomings, I'm excited. I'll take it for what it is, and expand upon it with great mods, and I have a feeling I'm in for some long sessions of virtual-claustrophobia in the near future.

Sulikate 01-19-10 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 1240549)
Nothing personal Rhaas but every time someone mentions they have a Mac I think of this.

warning profanity

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant

I laughed :arrgh!:

Back-on-topic 5 cents: I'm really into the first person view and the impossibility of "warping" from station to station. I know many simply do not care for these features, but they've caught my eye.

Reece 01-19-10 10:37 PM

Has Neal or anyone seen an Atlantic storm with U-boat in very rough weather, every snapshot or video the sea is calm, is this Med theater only!:hmmm: Also I have heard thunder but seen no lightning! (SHIV bug) I am even further concerned!!:oops:

Lanzfeld 01-19-10 10:38 PM

Is anyone who has been around since SH-2 or before really suprised?:shifty:

FAIL.:down:

I told you so.:har:

Maybe I'll get it in the fail bin in 3 or 4 months for $5

Greentimbers 01-19-10 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The General (Post 1240295)
Your questions were perfect and the interview was very charming.

Having seen the new trailer and read the Q & A, I for one am very excited and cannot wait for March to come around. With the state of the economy and the news that Ubisoft are delaying some releases, I feel we're all very lucky to be getting a new Silent Hunter of this quality at all. It is obviously gonna be the greatest sub-sim ever made. It saddens me that some members of this community seem to have an unrealistic sense of entitlement, but that's their problem.

Thank you Dan, Alex and the development team for your tremendous hard work :salute:

+1:up:

Cheers

Mopy 01-19-10 10:45 PM

Hmm some interesting choices.

I'm liking the fidelity angle and willing to take the 1943 end in exchange (for now ;)). I can also imagine as there is more going on in the subs, that it'll be harder and more time consuming to add additional types, so I'm willing to accept the VII's (for now).

Birthday on March 3rd, and trying to keep an open mind, I have decided to give a shot and see what happens.

Topo65 01-19-10 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 1240568)
Has Neal or anyone seen an Atlantic storm with U-boat in very rough weather, every snapshot or video the sea is calm, is this Med theater only!:hmmm: Also I have heard thunder but seen no lightning! (SHIV bug) I am even further concerned!!:oops:

+1. Never seen a screen or movie with rough weather and strongs winds in SHV.

Adriatico 01-19-10 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topo65 (Post 1240578)
+1. Never seen a screen or movie with rough weather and strongs winds in SHV.

+1 :nope:
...and no dynamic shadows ...under sunny sky ?:nope:

...still hoping

Lanzfeld 01-19-10 10:59 PM

I wonder if the AI will cheat?

You know....with all the cutbacks and all...

Turbografx 01-19-10 11:03 PM

Interview sounds good to me. I'm very happy about AI subs and the campaign sounds pretty cool. I actually prefer having just oen sub type if it means that one is more accurate/detailed to compensate, makes it more of a real sim.
RPG elements are bleh though, just like in the last games.

@ Mikhayl and Tomi: get ready to port Mikhayl's Type II and Tomi's interior!!!

flugkapitan 01-19-10 11:19 PM

Personally I'm disappointed. I like being able to start the war in a Type II and progress on the larger boats. The campaign/sim ending in May '43 doesn't sit well with me either...

I will certainly hold off on buying it. I guess the only way I would buy it would be if there were mods available extending the campaign/sim past May '43 and the other sub types were available.

Just my .02 worth.

Cheers,
Scott

IronOutlaw 01-19-10 11:19 PM

Grunt

Do we know yet how much grunt our PC's will need to allow SH V to run really effectively?