SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Silent Hunter V Dev Team Interview: Deeper, Kapitän, deeper. (1/19/10) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160292)

msxyz 01-20-10 04:09 AM

I wonder if the differences between the various evolutionary steps of type VII will also be visible in interiors (realistically different machinery, electronic equipment, etc) or if they will use same interior for all the types.

Reece 01-20-10 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elanaiba (Post 1240807)
GOOD GOD!

No wonder I visit hospitals so often :)

Yes, there's random in the game.

Yes, you can choose your patrol area, we can't put walls in the middle of the Atlantic.

Excellent! That is a big relief!!:yep:

Danji 01-20-10 04:20 AM

I think most of you don't know how difficult it is to add new features mid-project, especially when the list of features in SH5 is so long. Not to mention the graphics assets, animations , FX and so on. And all in such a short time with a small team. I think it would take a whole decade with a large team and unlimited funding to make the sub simulator we all want. And that's if anyone would take up the challange.

BulSoldier 01-20-10 04:23 AM

Not necesarily.The problem is that they gone wild with eyecandy and the simulation part got cut.Thats how i see it.

Danji 01-20-10 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulSoldier (Post 1240815)
Not necesarily.The problem is that they gone wild with eyecandy and the simulation part got cut.Thats how i see it.

Hear that elanaiba? We made eyecandy. GIEF US CANDY!!! But not the ones that made you visit the hospital often.

danlisa 01-20-10 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danji (Post 1240814)
I think most of you don't know how difficult it is to add new features mid-project, especially when the list of features in SH5 is so long. Not to mention the graphics assets, animations , FX and so on. And all in such a short time with a small team. I think it would take a whole decade with a large team and unlimited funding to make the sub simulator we all want. And that's if anyone would take up the challange.

Exactly. Neal made mention of it in another thread but you Devs, just as much as us, have wishes of how a SH title should be etc but, should we say, external forces decide to go another direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danji (Post 1240820)
Hear that elanaiba? We made eyecandy. GIEF US CANDY!!! But not the ones that made you visit the hospital often.

:rotfl2: Just like SH4 and SH3. It's always about the eyecandy.

I'm going to give you guys the benefit of the doubt, in as much I know you will do your best to provide an accurate portrayal of a VII simulation inside of the constraints placed upon you.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to miss my Sea Cows.:cry:

I-25 01-20-10 04:46 AM

Its the soup's fault :doh:

so much effort went into the soup that the programmers had to leave out the other boats and the rest of the war....:rotfl2:

but seriously i don't like one bit what they said ill be sure to wait till the dust settles before deciding to buy or not

i had high hopes on this but it looks like their gone...:down:

utops 01-20-10 04:49 AM

Operaration Flashpoint:Ubootwaffe
this is my final conclusion after watching new gameplay video and interview
i hope not i hope im fail on this
cheers

TarJak 01-20-10 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elanaiba (Post 1240797)
Let's stop that right there.

The campaign will be much more dynamic (not to mention moddable in a very powerful way) than SH3/4. (BTW those were not dynamic, but random)

People keep turning words around trying to find proof that their greatest fears come true: Scripted Campaign.

Yes, you have a crew. Yes, there's a storyline to it.

But the campaign is dynamic and that's the end of it :) I wouldn't have it any other way.

OK so will I be able to start a campaign on any date, from any historic port/flotilla combination that I choose? Or do I have to create a mod to do so?

kapitan_zur_see 01-20-10 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elanaiba (Post 1240807)
GOOD GOD!

No wonder I visit hospitals so often :)

Yes, there's random in the game.

Yes, you can choose your patrol area, we can't put walls in the middle of the Atlantic.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Now you understand why not answering PLAINLY rather than being vague like it's almost always been so far, is not a good thing :03: that's how it should have been in the first place! As not doing so, people will be confused and will raise concerns!!

Down to very first question about the campaign, you should have answered:

Don't worry
1. Some randomness as before so no fear of scripts in this matter
2. Some story line but STILL an open sandbox, you're not forced to follow a path, so it's not some kind of mission based campaign
3.Very modders friendly

And about 80% of concerns would have stopped right from the beggining!!! :arrgh!:

So please Dan, wherever possible, please do answer to us in plain english :up: No vague answers that do raise more questions than it answer

Quote:

OK so will I be able to start a campaign on any date, from any historic port/flotilla combination that I choose? Or do I have to create a mod to do so?
Now that is intersting to know... Or you can't because it would implies messing up that storyline thing? Because that's where the story line direction could implies some worries...
That being said, I can't say i'm not kind about the evolution undertaken for SH5. As much as i'm a big fan of realism, I always thought SH was a game and as such, lacked soul and epicness. People who knows my previous posts on the SH mods and my own works do know I often been focused as to try to bring a more "movie-like" kind of experience, because IMO the atmosphere makes the game far more enjoyable and immersive. It must not feels only technical ,so to speak, with a crew never reacting to whatever happens, with no animations etc... Heck, I was even trying back in SH4 to crack the animation system to bring some crew running in the control room whereved I ordered a crash dive for example

elanaiba 01-20-10 05:02 AM

Yeah, and then somebody on UBI boards will say "they are answering questions on subsim!". If I go there somebody here will gringe. And then marketing will have my head.

And I do have to build a game in the meantime.

The thing that bugs me is that we haven't released any scripted campaign so far, yet people fear it. They take apart what we say looking for hints at something evil :D

Re: Tarjak:

To get access to ANY historic port flotilla that you choose, you have to mod it. You will have several starting points that we have chosen, but those are easily modable too.

spiksy 01-20-10 09:08 AM

Damm everything seems to be excelent except one thing

WHY ONLY VII U-BOATS WHY????????? **** I HATE THAT OLD IRON TRASH CAN

I MISS MY FATBOY IXD2 AND SUPER COOL XXI

****! MODDERS YOU HAVE GOT A JOB TO DO !!!!

Myxale 01-20-10 09:16 AM

Oh my!

Feel like a kicked puppy!!!:-?
:shifty:

Wolfehunter 01-20-10 09:20 AM

Great article neal thanks,

If you get a chance next time please ask him if they plan to make an expansion for the second part of the war.

Since SH5 end's in 43. I understand why there limiting the Uboat war's. I'm sure the seas will get ugly in the end of 43 hehehe...:salute:

But I have faith the modding crew will crack the end date... :D

WH

Gerd Priess 01-20-10 09:25 AM

Edited and infraction given -- NS