SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Silent Hunter V Dev Team Interview: Deeper, Kapitän, deeper. (1/19/10) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160292)

Sailor Steve 01-19-10 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1240506)
And zombies were mentioned?

IT'S OFFICIAL - ZOMBIES ARE IN THE GAME! NEAL SAID SO!
:rotfl2:

Dave Kay 01-19-10 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikhayl (Post 1240040)
Thanks Neal, very good interview, covering pretty much all the important stuff IMO.
I for one am glad that the devs took the courageous way to limit the scope of the game to do their best to make that narrow scope as rich as possible. It's going to be awkward to end in mid '43 but given Dan & Alex answers I trust it will be well done.

And I never went that far in all my SH3 careers anyway, so it might happen that I won't see Black May in SH5 either :D

Also glad that they seem to have taken immersion (as in "you're the captain, you're here) seriously, this is the kind of thing that made old sims so great, the feeling of continuity in the story, between missions.

And **** man, there's ****ing wolfpacks, for real :D

A bit anxious to see the actual thing but it already sounds like a win to me.

Here! Here! I SECOND your motion Mikhayl! (in other words I agree with your opinion)

First off; Profound thanks to Mr. Stevens for his incredible efforts here at Sub-Sim. Without it, where else could we turn for latest news and developments for this, our most passionate past-time?
(Thin pickings I'd venture to say?)

Secondly; This interview is what I would call "... information I can use..." And it's also what I'd call good, honest journalism, at it's best. Could our market-driven media-websites, now-a-days, allow something so informative, bold, and possibly controversial to actually be published? (I haven't seen it anywhere yet, have you?--- please show me)

I might also add; the forth-right answers to Mr. Steven's questions to the Devs, were answered to my satifaction. However controversial those answers may be to some--- I applaud! (nit-picking will get you nowhere, but surely full of NITS)

Not being TOO judgemental at this point. But I say--- the proof is in the pudding... let the chips fall where they may... let the game be released!:woot::salute:

LOS!

TarJak 01-19-10 11:56 PM

Well if I were an Ubisoft exec in charge of the SHV project reading this thread, right about now I'd be feeling nervous.

SnowCajun 01-20-10 12:09 AM

Will there be a Pacific addon later?

Will there be a Pacific war addon later as you did with Silent Hunter IV? I'm more of a fan of the US subs vs Japan. Never the less I can hardly wait for V.

Sailor Steve 01-20-10 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhaas (Post 1240543)
... as a long time player of the Silent Hunter series, heck, I'm chagrined to admit that during a stint in the US Coast Guard I was playing Microprose's Silent Service for months ...... let me ask: is there any chance of a Mac port for the Silent Hunter series? Any chance at all?

... thanks for not laughing me off the forum. :03:

Well, it looks like somebody tried to do just that. I played Silent Service on an Atari 520ST, and did a lot of work on it besides. I noted at the time that the Atari was way ahead of that generation of PCs, and I really wish I could see where they would be now. Unfortunately they kind of sucked at marketing, and pretty much put themselves out of business. The desktop editor I still use was originally created for the Atari, and I still think it's worlds better than anything else I've tried.

That said, I don't see UBI creating a Mac version of any SH, but then I'm not exactly an insider on these things. On the other hand, with people upgrading all the time it shouldn't be too expensive to pick up a machine that will run at least SH3. Of course I'm despairing at barely being able to run SH4 right now, and SH5 looks like a real loss until I can come up with the money for a brand-new toy.

Anyway, I just wanted to say WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

FIREWALL 01-20-10 12:13 AM

SH5 will be a big seller.

On Ebays bargain bin.

longam 01-20-10 12:17 AM

Nice interview Neal. This should prove to be a new level for the series and the FP view could be a good change from the 2D screens. How boring was it to hit the D key when they reported "Aircraft Spotted".

It seems that content is the only thing ending at 1943, you can still patrol and do the usual find, get in front, sink, method as before after that date.

I always tried to to some routines while going out of port like test diving and such, now this will be a big part of the game.

IanC 01-20-10 12:26 AM

So less choice of U-boats, but the one you'll be in will be more detailed/realistic... Not a bad idea actually. It's a Type VII simulator, I can live with that.
Gotta love the AI boats out there... the game will be more open for modding. Sounds like a winner actually, why are some people saying "fail"?

Sailor Steve 01-20-10 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanC (Post 1240667)
So less choice of U-boats, but the one you'll be in will be more detailed/realistic... Not a bad idea actually. It's a Type VII simulator, I can live with that.

I can't.

Quote:

Gotta love the AI boats out there... the game will be more open for modding. Sounds like a winner actually, why are some people saying "fail"?
Because some people wanted something different. That can't be helped.

TarJak 01-20-10 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanC (Post 1240667)

Because the "Dynamic" campaign sounds more like a scripted campaign than a SH3/4 sandbox type environment, thereby limiting its replayability.

IanC 01-20-10 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor Steve (Post 1240668)
I can't.

:lol: Steve forget that Type II, give the VII a try, you know you wanna.

magick 01-20-10 12:36 AM

Looked forward to play SH5, very nice interview, thx Neal.

IanC 01-20-10 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarJak (Post 1240676)
Because the "Dynamic" campaign sounds more like a scripted campaign than a SH3/4 sandbox type environment, thereby limiting its replayability.

I'm wondering if it's not an Morrowind-Daggerfall thing. meaning it's still a sandbox, just a smaller one (but more stuff in it). :hmmm:

Sailor Steve 01-20-10 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanC (Post 1240678)
:lol: Steve forget that Type II, give the VII a try, you know you wanna.

I've sailed VIIs. In fact my current career is in a VIIb. But ever since SH1 my habit has been to run multiple careers, one from each available command or flotilla, at the same time; or at least concurrently.

So in SH4 I need a Salmon out of Pearl, a Perch out of same, an S-Boat out of Manila and a fleet boat from the same command.

But I'm still in 1939, so I'm running a VIIb out of Wilhelmshaven and another out of Kiel, and a Type II out of Kiel as well.

And that's just SH3. I also have a II and a VII from Kiel and a IX from Wilhelmshaven in Operation Monsun SH4.

No wonder I never get past 1940!:damn:

And that's why I am having problems with the described availabilities in SH5.

TarJak 01-20-10 12:43 AM

I guess we will see in March.