SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Silent Hunter V Dev Team Interview: Deeper, Kapitän, deeper. (1/19/10) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160292)

rascal101 01-19-10 06:44 PM

Looking good thanks to Ubi and the devlopers

At last some useable information - though as usual they answer some questions only to raise others.

Firstly the Dynamic Campaign question - the interview seemed at first to be a rather clever manipulation of what the word Dynamic means, seems the word now could mean a series of scripted missions that occur in sequence from 1940 until 43.

What interests me now is how 'dynamic' these missions will actually be once your at sea. Will there still be the element of surprise as you patrol and try to find ships or convoys. Or will it be - go here and wait for x amount of time for that ship to turn up, move on to next place and repeat.

If this is the new meaning of Dynamic then I really so think all the magic and random surprise of the game would be tragically lost and the game would wind up shelved after a couple of turns.

For me the real attraction of SH3 was the campaign covered the entire war and you never new what was going to happen next, was it a convoy or single ship, merchant or military - were you hunting them or were they hunting you - This kept SH3 an attractive game to play years after its release, not to mention the mods etc.

I really hope the dev's or someone can clarify the above

As for stopping the game at 1943- this doesn’t bother me so much if the game play and graphics are improved, as the graphics would certainly seem to be - hopefully enough copies would be sold so Ubi brings out an add-on to cover the latter, more challenging part of the war, ie 1943 to VE Day -

This could be a real selling point as they could then really go to town on covering the technical advances of both sides with the challenge actually being to simply stay alive

I hope some one can clarify the first point and that Ubi and the Dev's might really seriously consider the second.

Until then - thanks once more to Ubisoft and Dev team for continuing with the franchise and for the endless hours of fun I've had with all of the SH series

Regards

Rascal

AVGWarhawk 01-19-10 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens (Post 1240191)
I'm keeping an open mind. One thing that bears repeating, when a game development team sets out to build a new type of game, they may not include "features" seen in previous versions. In this case, they are specializing on the personal element of being a captain and leading a crew of U-bootmen, and they are providing a new type of subsim, an interaction first person subsim. This game appears to be designed to give more of a Das Boot experience than an SH2/SH3 overarching career.

I know Dan is a serious, simulation-oriented developer. And you guys who joined us on the U-995 tour last Sept could see how Dan, Mike, and Mihai were really intent on learning as much as possible, crawling in every crevice and taking pictures. If we had not pried them loose, they would still be there, I bet. :shucks:

My sole concern at this point is the state of the game when released. I think most would say I am pretty forgiving of minor glitches and bugs, and I update reviews with info about patches-- I know no game is delivered 100% perfect. I would feel a lot better if there was an actual preview copy to evaluate before the game goes on sale. Ubisoft protected SHIV until the game was released, and it was pretty messed up until months and patches later. That's my worry. I can buy into a different direction for this edition, with the emphasis on the captain/crew expereience, but SHV must be up to the level of quality of SH3.

After digesting that for a minute I have to agree. It is a different type of sim. Interesting thought Neal! :hmmm:

rascal101 01-19-10 06:52 PM

One person's glass is half empty while another is half full

All of the below is fine with me providing the add-ons are worth the money and fun to play -

I'd like to see Ubisoft make some real money from the franchise so they continue its development and make the game a real and on-going source of entertainment - not least as TV is such a profound bore.

And with the contribution of the modders no doubt there will be lot of suprises for all of us -

Go for it Ubisoft - make a good game and I'll buy it, make some good and real add-on's and I'll buy them, all of them - till the cows come home as long as they are reall and make a real contribution to the game -

Go right ahead keep me interested! or leave it at a single game with no add-ons, no new material and I will drop the game like a stone and move on

Regards to all

Rascal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire (Post 1240219)
After this Interview I won't buy the game on release.

I see it coming:

A half year after release there will be the Type IX Download Content, but without missions, they will cost extra.

And a few months later we will get the "Play-till-45" Campaign upgrade for 24,99 $.

We'll, why am I disappointed.....it's Ubisoft, never expected any other behaviour.... :damn:

Richard G 01-19-10 06:54 PM

Role playing, and great story line. Sounds like an adventure game.

I hope they remembered some important sim related items, like graduated degree markings on the periscope.

Nisgeis 01-19-10 06:57 PM

Did the Germans have radar in May 1943, e.g. the end of the game?

JU_88 01-19-10 07:01 PM

Its starting to sound like b17 the mighty 8th, in a uboat -kinda.

rascal101 01-19-10 07:14 PM

I think you hit it on the head -

I think you hit it on the head - this is what's worrying me as well - have they really improved it or just dumbed the whole thing down and mised the point

Quote:

Originally Posted by JU_88 (Post 1240363)
Its starting to sound like b17 the mighty 8th, in a uboat -kinda.

Méo 01-19-10 07:23 PM

Finally good questions and precise answers!

Finally good questions and precise answers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brag (Post 1240172)
Interesting interview. Thanks, Neal!

The Devs' strategic approach makes a lot of sense, quality vs quantity.

Being able to trigger off wolfpacks adds a new dimension to the game.

Agree 100%

IMHO, this interview brings posivitive (but of course not perfect) news.

AI Uboat firing torpedoes on convoys are in this time!!! :up:

First Focus on Quality then release add-ons for Quantity. :yep:

I can already see it coming:

SILENT HUNTER 5: THE FIGHT FOR SURVIVAL

Add-on for Silent Hunter 5 that extend the Battle of the Atlantic to its final days and include:

- More types of Uboat
- New Allied ASW Weapons
- New Theaters of Operations
- Several enhancements and much more!

Thanks Neal!
Thanks Dan!
...and Thanks Alex!

Snestorm 01-19-10 07:33 PM

Frankly, it looks like a giant step backward from SH3.

As it stands now, SH5 is not worth my time and money.
Big dissapointment!

Ducimus 01-19-10 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rascal101 (Post 1240369)
I think you hit it on the head - this is what's worrying me as well - have they really improved it or just dumbed the whole thing down and mised the point

I don't think they missed anything. I think they're giving exactly what alot of folks have been clamoring for, for years now. More roleplay, more graphics, and more Das Boot.

Uber Gruber 01-19-10 07:44 PM

I can see where they're going with this, it's an interesting yet challenging idea with little room for error on the 'life of a u-boat commander' theme. Get it wrong, coupled with Stuka Squadron style woilfpacks, and it will bomb big time.

But we shall see....i'm keeping an open mind cos if they get it right such that modders can easily create a rich interactive world for the captain then the other short comings will come with time.

Good to see some of the old grey heads ranting for a change :smug:

THE_MASK 01-19-10 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducimus (Post 1240382)
I don't think they missed anything. I think they're giving exactly what alot of folks have been clamoring for, for years now. More roleplay, more graphics, and more Das Boot.

I agree 100% . I dont think you can compare SH5 with SH3/4 anymore . Its a diffrent type of game after reading the interview . But they said it will be more moddable than SH3/4 so who is to say after 6 months modders dont give the hard core simmer that wants a SH3/4 type game what they want anyway. I said in another thread that 1 type of sub would be sh1thouse but i can see now what they are trying to do and how it all fits together . cheers sober out .

Oberon 01-19-10 08:07 PM

An interesting connection to make is with the World War One Aerial Combat sim Rise of Flight. It gained contraversy for a number of reasons.
Firstly, you have to be online to play the game, this put off a number of people, and secondly, the game shipped with two or four (can't remember off hand) aircraft to fly.
However, the graphics, flight and damage model are said to be superb. I do not own it because of financial and hardware incompatability issues (Likely the same reason I won't be buying SHV until two years or more down the line).
ROF has gained quite the fanbase amongst its users, just take a look down in the Air sim forum, Stealth Hunter in particular swears by it, however it has and probably always will have those who will not buy it because of what they view to be shortcomings, shortcomings which other people have put to one side, brought it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I strongly suspect, as I have already said, that the Type IX will come in a DLC pack, possibly the Type II. I should imagine that '43-'45 will either come as a DLC too, or the Devs will let the modders put it in. This is, fortunately or unfortunately as you see it, how a lot of games seem to run these days, which is a bit of a problem with those of us who can barely afford to buy the original game to begin with, but then again there are always winners and losers in the gaming community and eventually as time, hardware and financial depriciation passes, the losers become winners.
I think, like Neal, that this is an interesting new direction, quite exciting really if they manage to pull off the interaction right. For those of us who have always wanted that Das Boot experience, we are one step closer. We can walk the boat from bow to stern, we can stop and talk to the crew, monitor their work, they celebrate with us and they feel our depression at being days at sea in the middle of an Atlantic Swell with no idea where we are or where the enemy is.
It'll be the first SH not to feature multiple boats (Unless SHI didn't, I never played it :doh:) however it will also be the first SH to feature a fully modelled interior and interactive crew. It won't go until the end of the war, but it will fill the years inbetween with dynamics which we have not encountered before. I suspect that if we were to choose to raid a harbour then the next time we tried they would have put up sub nets, searchlights and increased patrols. No more raiding with impunity. The enemy will react, not on a tactical level like a destroyer changing its tactics to detect you, but on a strategic level. If a large amount of shipping is sunk in one area, you might attract a hunter-killer group. It's this kind of dynamics that I strongly suspect (and hope) that Dan is talking about as opposed to the dynamics that, say, affect the outcome of the war.

One thing though, and I speak to all of you, even those who say that they will not buy the game when it comes out. Go out there, go to the Ubi forums and request, politely, that Subsim.com receive a preview copy to review. As the top submarine simulation website on the internet and with tens of thousands of subsim fans, it is vital, imperative that Neal be given a copy to review and give us the honest facts.

So, go forth and tell Ubisoft and the marketers, Subsim.com needs a preview copy of SHV!!

V.C. Sniper 01-19-10 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 1240408)
it is vital, imperative that Neal be given a copy to review and give us the honest facts.

So, go forth and tell Ubisoft and the marketers, Subsim.com needs a preview copy of SHV!!

here here

Carotio 01-19-10 08:14 PM

Actually, I know ONE subsim member has been given a preview copy of the game, but I'm not going to tell who. He can come forward himself if he chooses to....

And no, it's not me.