SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   AI working acoustic torpedo ("fido")? Take a look! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=197919)

Captain Nemo 08-29-12 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troublous_Haze (Post 1927532)
BTW I hope everyone agree to the fact that torpedo hit to a u-boat in RL was deadly by all means. 100% destruction of the hull that is.

You might like to look at these statistics which show that 100% destruction was not always the case.

From US Navy OEG Study No. 289, 12 August 1946 provides the following data related to Mark 24 effectiveness:

Number of attacks in which Mark 24s were launched - 264
Total number of Mark 24 torpedoes launched - all targets - 340
Number of Mark 24s launched against submarines - 204
Number of Mark 24 attacks on submarines by US aircraft - 142
Number of Mark 24 attacks by Allied (primarily British) aircraft - 62
Number of German U-boats sunk by FIDO - 31
Number of German U-boats damaged by FIDO - 15
Number of Japanese submarines sunk by FIDO -6
Number of Japanese submarines damaged by FIDO -3
Total number of submarines sunk by FIDO (German & Japanese) -37
Total number of submarines damaged -18

Nemo

Troublous_Haze 08-29-12 01:58 AM

Thanks, you're right reading about Fidos at Wikipedia currently

sublynx 08-29-12 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troublous_Haze (Post 1927532)
BTW I hope everyone agree to the fact that torpedo hit to a u-boat in RL was deadly by all means. 100% destruction of the hull that is.

This reminds me of story of a soldier who was shot between the eyes by a sniper and survived...

One possible explanation for this very odd finding that Fido hits were not always kills is the size of the warhead. Fido had only 100 lb of explosives, when the warhead of MK 14 torpedo was 640 lb. I would also think that in a way submarines would have to be more durable than merchant ships as submarines are designed to be able to deal with water pressure at great depths. I think that that would mean that they could endure more pressure resulting from an explosion as well. Probably not as well as a warship with armor, but perhaps better than an unarmored steamer?

Sailor Steve 08-29-12 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublynx (Post 1927541)
I would also think that in a way submarines would have to be more durable than merchant ships as submarines are designed to be able to deal with water pressure at great depths. I think that that would mean that they could endure more pressure resulting from an explosion as well. Probably not as well as a warship with armor, but perhaps better than an unarmored steamer?

Actually armor on a warship is no protection against torpedoes at all. The fact that the armor plate is a lot thicker than the 1/2" hull plates normally used helps some, but it is also more brittle, plus because of its weight the area covered by the armor is limited, and even a shallow-running torpedo will hit below the bottom of the armor. Near the end of the First World War they began experimenting with anti-torpedo bulges. These involved an extra section of steel (unarmored and usually no thicker than the hull plates), the idea being that the explosion would take place away from the hull itself. I imagine that a submarine would have a small chance of surviving a FIDO hit because of the same principle - the gap between the outer hull and the pressure hull.

Gammel 08-29-12 02:32 PM

Outstanding!

So will we see one day ship fired torpedos too?

Rubini 08-30-12 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gammel (Post 1927817)
Outstanding!

So will we see one day ship fired torpedos too?

Hi Gammel,

Yes, the virtual particle approach can be adapted for any ship or plane, so you can see it (the torpedos) being released in good shape...but not the torpedo itself running just after it hit the water. The Ai torpedos on sh3 continues with only being spawed looking north...a engine limitation without fix yet (Iīm close...:D) but some seconds later it will be armed and will appears runing near your target. Itīs in truth a compromise solution as we yet have not a complete one. Anyhow, the overall feeling/visual and results are very good. The player will not notice these tricks.

Now some update on the mod:

I spent the last 4 days just trying the best adjust for all the stuff to run ok on the campaigns (for SM or simple SCR scripts itīs ok since first release). So after hard time (fu*&% good game!) i achieve to have all aspects solved and itīs now totally problems free running at the Campaign_RND.mis!:up:

Kpt. Lehmann 08-30-12 08:44 PM

Rubini is just too cool for school!:arrgh!:

TorpX 08-30-12 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublynx (Post 1927541)
One possible explanation for this very odd finding that Fido hits were not always kills is the size of the warhead. Fido had only 100 lb of explosives, when the warhead of MK 14 torpedo was 640 lb. I would also think that in a way submarines would have to be more durable than merchant ships as submarines are designed to be able to deal with water pressure at great depths. I think that that would mean that they could endure more pressure resulting from an explosion as well. Probably not as well as a warship with armor, but perhaps better than an unarmored steamer?

Another possible explanation is that the Fido is homing in on the sound the screws make, and so is likely to hit near the stern. This, I think, allows a much better chance to survive than a hit amidships.

orlos2 09-02-12 03:09 PM

Will this mod be playable with GWX? Can't wait for it!

Missing Name 09-02-12 03:35 PM

This is... amazing. I don't know what else to say.

Rubini 09-03-12 01:27 AM

New version is on the way. See the mod [REL] main thread, post 40 for what is comming! ETA tomorrow. See you!:up:

Rubini 09-03-12 07:41 PM

New mod version released (v2)! See here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=197762