SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Silent Hunter V Dev Team Interview: Deeper, Kapitän, deeper. (1/19/10) (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160292)

mookiemookie 01-20-10 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danji (Post 1240917)
Say something vague that seems like an answer.

You guys have elevated that to an art form. :O:

IanC 01-20-10 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elanaiba (Post 1240797)
Let's stop that right there.

The campaign will be much more dynamic (not to mention moddable in a very powerful way) than SH3/4. (BTW those were not dynamic, but random)

People keep turning words around trying to find proof that their greatest fears come true: Scripted Campaign.

Yes, you have a crew. Yes, there's a storyline to it.

But the campaign is dynamic and that's the end of it :) I wouldn't have it any other way.

:rock:

SNAKE1937 01-20-10 10:39 AM

FPS, for me is not going to happen

My "name" SNAKE1937 is from my military call sign and birth year. Therefore my hands do NOT take to rapid repetative motion as needed in a FPS style of a game. The key strokes for overall actions, for me, are needed to play the game---- as found in SH3 and 4! In real service the CO gives orders and the crew responds. He does NOT run to a station and takeover a crew station. That said the game B17 had a great aspect that the player could take over a crew position and leave it improved and more skillfull ( hopefully) thus leading to a great crew.

My big gripe in SH4 was the lack of sailors, and CPO's remaining as such,but gaining skills and experence ( Not going up the rank chain to become a bunch of "shave tail officers" ). The thought of an all "officer and gentleman" crew doing the everyday grub work is comical and scary
to all who have served there country in uniform.

Have to go now and soak my old stiff hands( LOL).

SNAKE1937

elanaiba 01-20-10 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1240921)
You guys have elevated that to an art form. :O:

Again, if I give an answer, its a problem.

Now... If i offer a supposition based on already available info...

TDK1044 01-20-10 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elanaiba (Post 1240933)

With a few folks here, Dan, the egg slipped off the toast long ago. :)

Dallas 01-20-10 10:47 AM

I have no problem with the modeling of only the Type VII for now. I hope all the detail is there. I do appreciate the work on the crew and being able to interact with them and visit all parts of the boat. A definite must buy here!

ricnunes 01-20-10 10:48 AM

WHAT???
- Only 1 U-Boat type (Type VII) and no TypeII and Type IX in SH5??
- The campaign end in 1943!!
- Scripted campaigns instead the awesome and the best campaign style (IMO) of SH1, SH3 and SH4?? DIDN'T UBISOFT LEARNED SOMETHING WITH SH2?

- Ubisoft just lost me as a customer for SH5!!
SH5 will be the only SH game that I will not buy even because Ubisoft will not fool me with SH5 like they did with SH2!!

Iron Budokan 01-20-10 10:51 AM

First of all, excellent interview. Neal really did a good job of pinning them down on some points.

But....am I hearing this right?

Let's say you want to replay the game. SH3 had great replayablility factor. But in this installment, to replay the game, you have to do the tutorial again. Is that correct?

Nothing but VII. I know I heard that right. Can't say as I'm warming up to that idea.

Game ends in '43. That gets a big thumbs down from me.

I was going to buy this game the instant it hit the shelves. Now I think I will wait and see how it plays out, what you guys think as you test/play it. I trust you guys and I know you will render a fair judgement on the game.

I support the genre. But I have to admit after reading this interview a lot of the wind has gone out of my sails regarding this iteration of the Silent Hunter series.

Boris 01-20-10 10:58 AM

I think people are misinterpreting the scripted campaign thing... by the sounds of it, the campaign now is MORE dynamic than before.

mookiemookie 01-20-10 11:01 AM

Quote:

I understand your hands are tied and its not your call. I'm sure you'd love to answer all of our questions if you could.

But I can still tease you about it. :03::O:

Sailor Steve 01-20-10 11:04 AM

Quote:

Sorry, Dan. Anything you say can and will be taken the wrong way, and obviously by more people than we ever suspected.:dead:

johan_d 01-20-10 11:06 AM

So nothing about BDU ? nothing about more uboat control, like engines etc, nothing more about interaction with other uboats ? pitty..

Besides the fancy graphics, some FPS views its SH3 in a new coat ?
:hmmm:

elanaiba 01-20-10 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1240958)
I understand your hands are tied and its not your call. I'm sure you'd love to answer all of our questions if you could.

But I can still tease you about it. :03::O:

Just wait till I come back to America, you ....

danurve 01-20-10 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onelifecrisis (Post 1240689)
Great interview, thanks Neal.

I for one really like the approach they're taking. I'd rather have one u-boat done right than six of them half baked. I'd rather have 4 years of well constructed, historically accurate campaign than 6 years of same old, same old. Sounds to me like they have prioritised quality over quantity, which makes me happy! Looking forward to March...

:rock:

Good post :up:
I'm also looking forward to the months following March where your talent as well as others may be put to use. Although, you may be thinking, "not again.." :arrgh!:

Richard G 01-20-10 11:09 AM

You should have asked him if he has ever calculated a manual torpedo attack with SH5. That would shine some light on how many essential sim elements are in the game.