PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Dive sequence Mod

The Noob
10-22-06, 03:41 PM
I just would like to post the "Realistic Dive Sequence" mod. Long story short, i have recorded real sounds of a WW2 U-Boat Propaganda Newsreel and put them in as diving sequence. I used the endrass newsreel. I have used parts of the original file to cover a longer period of silence. The file is 39 Seconds long.

Here is the download, and let me know what you think after listening to it. ;)

http://www.mytempdir.com/1014263

(Edit: Updated version, changed above link! How do i change the title of the thread?)

I made this because i found the diving sound in GW a bit loud and weird. No offence against the makers, but it just didn't suit me, so i made this alternate one.

(Feel free to upload to another mirror for the people who can't use this one. I didn't wanted to register on filefront, and rapidshare *grrrrrr* was down, that was the only one i could find rather quick.)

Special thanks to Celeon999 from the Ubi forum for posting the newsreel on Youtube!

Original Thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/6651066984)
The Endrass Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msRahjA5WLc)

Now the obligatory: I am not responsible for anything this might to to your computer, but it should be totally OK. Still, no warranty. Back up your original file in case you want to go back to the original one. Mod-Enabler compatible format. Only install in base, or weird things might happen.

You may include this mod into any modpack or supermod, but it is not to be used in any commercial way. Commie Mod, means it's free and has to remain free. ;) :lol:

Safe-Keeper
10-22-06, 04:23 PM
Great, sounds far more natural than the one extracted from Das Boot.

Sailor Steve
10-22-06, 04:35 PM
Cool! I can't wait until I can use my own computer again; then I can download and hear it.

Hartmann
10-22-06, 10:23 PM
Very nice video, with deck gun action, :o

could be nice in sh3 the camera in the tower and deck gun like in the video during the dive.

in the game when you ordered crash dive is impossible see the bridge view.

Venatore
10-23-06, 01:24 AM
Well done:D

joea
10-23-06, 06:52 AM
Congrats to the forum Moron, uhh N00b uhh sorry. :arrgh!:

Thanks N00B! Will download it tonight. :up:

Jimbuna
10-23-06, 07:35 AM
Nice one...sounds cool...must try this out Thx :up:

The Noob
10-23-06, 10:44 AM
Now thats a response...w00t! :D

SubConscious
10-23-06, 12:52 PM
Nicely done! I think this is much better than the overly emotional and loud Das Boot sequence. :up:

Sailor Steve
10-23-06, 05:49 PM
I'm watching the video, but since I'm at the library I can't hear it. Some observations, though:

1) Contrary to what a lot of gamers say, those seas at the beginning don't look too high, but the deck gun is being completely swamped, at least at speed.

2) Even in a crash dive, they didn't pull the plug until the board was green and the e-motors were on and the diesels were off!

3) I didn't see anybody running to the bow of the boat. I agree, movies about US subs show the crews being a lot more professional than in Das Boot. I always wondered about that, and I'm sure the German crews behaved very competently as well.

4) That merchie WAS shooting back, and one of those shots came pretty close. Not trying to make any point, just observing the close splash.

5) OOPS!:oops: In the second crash dive they DID order "All hands forward"!

6) The captain is conducting his attack with the observation 'scope, not the attack periscope. I'm betting this was done for the sake of the camera, which almost certainly wouldn't fit in the conning tower.

7) During the "flooding" sequence, with the destroyer approaching, the planesmen both lean and so does the camera, but when they straighten up again the shallow dive guage still says 10 meters! Ignore the close-up of it getting deeper, look at it when the guys are leaning.

8) "Depth charges are shaking the boat"...and they're STILL at 10 meters!

Still, quite fun. Thanks Noob.

Reece
10-23-06, 09:01 PM
Hi Noob, very good find!:up:
Many thanks.:D

Hartmann
10-24-06, 04:30 PM
Another good details are the place of de gun ammo and the fire rate. the effects in the steamer and the sound of the incoming counterfire shells .

Razman23
10-24-06, 04:35 PM
I'm watching the video, but since I'm at the library I can't hear it. Some observations, though:

1) Contrary to what a lot of gamers say, those seas at the beginning don't look too high, but the deck gun is being completely swamped, at least at speed.

2) Even in a crash dive, they didn't pull the plug until the board was green and the e-motors were on and the diesels were off!

3) I didn't see anybody running to the bow of the boat. I agree, movies about US subs show the crews being a lot more professional than in Das Boot. I always wondered about that, and I'm sure the German crews behaved very competently as well.

4) That merchie WAS shooting back, and one of those shots came pretty close. Not trying to make any point, just observing the close splash.

5) OOPS!:oops: In the second crash dive they DID order "All hands forward"!

6) The captain is conducting his attack with the observation 'scope, not the attack periscope. I'm betting this was done for the sake of the camera, which almost certainly wouldn't fit in the conning tower.

7) During the "flooding" sequence, with the destroyer approaching, the planesmen both lean and so does the camera, but when they straighten up again the shallow dive guage still says 10 meters! Ignore the close-up of it getting deeper, look at it when the guys are leaning.

8) "Depth charges are shaking the boat"...and they're STILL at 10 meters!

Still, quite fun. Thanks Noob.

You have to keep in mind what kind of movie this is and why it was made. I will bet that all the scenes that you saw did not happen in the way it is protrayed. More than likely it was allot of 'cut n paste' to make the scene as believable as possible even though the people who would see this would have never been on a U-boat before.

The Noob
10-24-06, 07:02 PM
Attention: New Updated version! Changed some things on the file to avoid sound problems with On-Board soundcards, and removed a part of the last bit wich included easily audiable music. First post edited. :)

Steeltrap
10-24-06, 10:52 PM
I seem to recall seeing the footage of that merchant copping it as being associated with activities of Graf Spee or Scharnhorst(the 11" or 5.9" will tend to do that!).

As for 'firing back', seems highly improbable that a u-boat would endanger itself that way. It would only take 1 hit and the boat would be crippled if not lost.

Interesting to note the video claims Endrass to have sunk over 200,000t so far, but his tally from u-boat.net is 118,528t. Ah, some creative accounting for propaganda!!

AVA
10-24-06, 10:57 PM
Sounds great for me.:up:

Safe-Keeper
10-25-06, 05:16 PM
I watched a programme on German propaganda and they said that a lot of the action scenes on u-boats were staged. This due to the fact that in real combat it was very ungainly to have camera teams on board.

Sailor Steve
10-25-06, 05:57 PM
Of course they HAD to be staged, and for that very reason. I just thought it was funny how obvious some of the staging was.

Safe-Keeper
10-25-06, 06:06 PM
I guess the average German couldn't recognize the depth gauge?

Either way, splendid work (the sound file, not the propaganda movie). Again, far better than the Das Boot file.

THE_MASK
10-25-06, 08:49 PM
Sounds much better that any other dive mpg . Thanks:up: