PDA

View Full Version : All files by 'Donots' removed from UBRS DLC

terrapin
10-20-06, 07:37 AM
here's the reason why: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=329735&postcount=67

:nope: :damn:

Dowly
10-20-06, 08:02 AM
Thank you, Terrapin. It was his fault he got kicked from GWX team, but now he is pissed off because he was kicked!? Cant understand it anymore. :nope:

Kpt. Lehmann
10-20-06, 08:03 AM
Theft was the reason for his untimely departure from the GWX dev team.

Reece
10-20-06, 08:29 AM
Don had done quite a lot for the community in the past & find it hard to believe,:huh: It's a shame, maybe He could come clean with an apology, or a rap on the knuckles, would be a shame to see him go!:cry:
Regards.

Kpt. Lehmann
10-20-06, 08:33 AM
Don had done quite a lot for the community in the past & find it hard to believe,:huh: It's a shame, maybe He could come clean with an apology, or a rap on the knuckles, would be a shame to see him go!:cry:
Regards.

Reece, one of your Das Boot loading screens is included in the same mod. I saw no credits or mentions of your name.

KL

Dowly
10-20-06, 08:35 AM
Regards.

This isnt his first time. He was spreading some of the GWX content while still on the GWX team, thatīs why he got kicked. Now, he did it again. Apology is not enough to clean his reputation in my eyes. :nope:

JScones
10-20-06, 08:39 AM
Thank you, Terrapin. It was his fault he got kicked from GWX team, but now he is pissed off because he was kicked!? Cant understand it anymore. :nope:
The package in question has been up since 30 August, not long after his departure from the team. I think by that stage too he'd already released the other very early GWX alpha files, which the Kpt "caught".

BTW, the flaggen.tga in Onboard_Int[1]._1.0.rar is JCWolf's. You would have seen it before too. :nope:

Reece
10-20-06, 09:07 AM
Reece, one of your Das Boot loading screens is included in the same mod. I saw no credits or mentions of your name.
What!! Make him walk the plank!:arrgh!:

Dowly
10-20-06, 09:30 AM
Lol :rotfl:

kylania
10-20-06, 09:55 AM
:down:

danlisa
10-20-06, 11:16 AM
It's a shame, that in a community which prides itself on openess and the willing to help others achieve what they imagine, something like this can happen.

We will now see less & less beginner modders air their achievements and ask for help in fear that someone may come along and plagerize their work.

I live in hope that this will not in anyway effect the high standard that this forum maintains.

Shame:nope:

Jimbuna
10-20-06, 11:23 AM
It's a shame, that in a community which prides itself on openess and the willing to help others achieve what they imagine, something like this can happen.

We will now see less & less beginner modders air their achievements and ask for help in fear that someone may come along and plagerize their work.

I live in hope that this will not in anyway effect the high standard that this forum maintains.

Shame:nope:

I second that dan :yep:

bigboywooly
10-20-06, 12:01 PM
I - for one - hope it doesnt deter anyone from making mods of their own
This game is big enough for more than just the " supermods "

Dont let one foolish [ insert word of your choice ] put anyone off

This community is neither blind nor stupid and these people always get found out in the end :yep:

The Noob
10-20-06, 12:30 PM
All Files? You also mean the Bordinstrumente/Funkraum updates? Sh**.

I would not like to see him banned, he did good work on the files not stolen...but he needs to be punished. Give him a 1 and a half month ban would be a good thing.

Tschuldigung freundchen aber so gehts halt bei bestem willen nicht.

I am Shocked!

Dowly
10-20-06, 12:59 PM
If he is banned from SubSim, he still can release them in the Ubi forum. Tho, I heard that he has time to Monday, to explain this or he will get banned from Ubi.

SquareSteelBar
10-20-06, 01:07 PM
Hi mates,

for me he was suspect since a long time ago, when he released 'his' OFF.HelmetMod which is identical [I made a checksum check] with a file offered at a Russian web site many weeks before. In the german forum he was already caught in the act. I'm afraid the most of 'his' mods are stolen. There are too many indications of theft...

SSB:down:

gouldjg
10-20-06, 01:25 PM
Thats terrible news, I have missed all this despite my few brief few visits to the forums.

There really is no excuse for the behaviour though

When I had to take a back seat from GW dev due to new job, my hard drive mysteriously packed in with all dev work and tools upto that period.

Me thinks KPT and senior devs are smart and had a secret device planted in my pc whilst working for him :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Now I sit here like the rest of you guys and I am completly in the dark as much as the rest of you.

From what I know (which I aint saying) this mod is well worth the wait.

Well done GWX team and bloody hurry up

Bye the way, what does GWX stand for (you guys really did my pc over)

bigboywooly
10-20-06, 01:36 PM
Well done GWX team and bloody hurry up
Bye the way, what does GWX stand for (you guys really did my pc over)

I believe the Kpt has hinted at 2 weeks before Beta testing then another 3 weeks or so before release

X = Xpansion
To pastures new lol

kylania
10-20-06, 02:05 PM
I've got a pristine copy of SH3 installed and just waiting for GWX calling to me every day.. "FINISH INSTALLING ME! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY FINISH ME!" hehe

Ducimus
10-20-06, 02:52 PM
Oh, the drama.

Yeah, sure, theres a competition between the two "supermods". You have some personalties in one corner, and other personalities in the other corner. Joe modders like me in the middle. Every now and then the mud slings from one corner, and it hits you right in the face. This is what sort of prompts one to take a side.

The problem is once you take a side, and put some work into it, some of your best stuff becomes proprietary out of just common decency to others. Once you commit to an effort, you can't just release anything once it's become part of the whole effort.

So, you know, its a good idea to check with the people you worked with before you go and run off and do something which might be related to the collective efforts of many people. Its just the civil, honest thing to do.

I'd have released my own "supermod" by now, but the best key aspects are part of GWX now. So i can't release anything without compromising the GWX project and the collective efforts of many people. My releasing my own mod is pointless because once GWX is released, why play anything else?

It's a shame not everyone who was part of the team can take a similar stance, if at the very least, only to not be thought of as a backstabbing bastard

My 2 cents.

ref
10-20-06, 03:01 PM
Ducimus, it would be impolite as you says, but forgivable if he release his own work, but he took others work without permission, and released it as his own.

Ref

kylania
10-20-06, 03:13 PM
Yeah, sure, theres a competition between the two "supermods".

It's a shame not everyone who was part of the team can take a similar stance, if at the very least, only to not be thought of as a backstabbing bastard

Just to be clear about this, neither the GW nor NYGM Devs teams had anything to do with donot's actions. Everything he did he did on his own. He "released" all this stolen work after being dismissed from GW Dev and before offering to join NYGM Dev. An offer which I'm sure won't be accepted after these events.

This is not a GW vs NYGM issue.

Ducimus
10-20-06, 04:04 PM
If there wasnt a GW vS NYGM thing going on, releasing stuff from GWX, even if its your own work, woudlnt be an issue. (and if i released what work i did, there'd be issues).

If there wasnt a GW vs NYGM thing gonig on, do you think he'd turn around (try) and join the other side? Theres a certain degree of "product integrity" that's desired to maintain so that when it is released, it's a stellar achievement. Bleeding out stuff takes the punch out of it. It's a constant battle of one-ups-manship.

But thats just one aspect of it. Toss in some plagurism, and a little back biting and you get threads like this one.

Like i said, Oh, the drama.

Dowly
10-20-06, 04:14 PM
The main thing I am concerned about this current situation is not what he has already released, but the things he STILL HAS on his HD. As part of the dev team, he had priviledge of downloading some very cool stuff that GWX team developed.

I know he is talented guy, but Der Teddy Bar, think about it. It might be that some NYGM exclusive stuff might be released by letting him download them. But anyways, itīs your call. You do what you think is right, just thought to give you a warning.

Boris
10-20-06, 04:25 PM
All I can say is that I'm really dissappointed by this whole thing. My dissappointement is threefold.

Firstly my work, and the work of others has been released and claimed as Donot's own, without so much as a change (bar the removal of the das boot text).

Secondly, Donuts has betrayed the community's trust. I had never had any problems with Donots and our contact was always amiable. This was kind of out of the blue for me.

Lastly he released stuff that was not meant to be seen for at least another 6 weeks, thus ruining some of the overall effect GWX might have had.

Ducimus
10-20-06, 04:27 PM
It just occured to me that kylania took me out of context.

Anyway, its not my intention to fan the flames on this bonfire, just stating the facts as i see them. Im leaving it alone now, nothing will come of this. I enjoy the forums more when this crap is on a back burner and not on the front burner. The whole incident is just a crying shame, and i wish it hadn't have happened.

edit: Figured id tone it down some. :D

Mr.Werner
10-20-06, 04:53 PM
you people need girlfriends. :lol:

supposedtobeworking
10-20-06, 05:00 PM
Personally I don't know why everyone gets so worked up over this. I think if he did what he's being accused of then it is certainly dishonest and he should have the integrity to take credit for his own work and not others. But these are not payware mods and since he is the medium in which I have recieved some pretty cool mods, I wish I could say I was truly upset about this. My work wasn't stolen though so that's also why, but if you want my advice everyone should get over this and just keep making mods. At the very worst, Donots will release a bunch of cool GWX mods early and give us a chance to play some of them before N. Korea nukes us. If not, then they will be useless when the full GWX comes out, cause everyone will want the real deal and the total packagel. Just keep modding for crying out loud and have fun.

Coda
10-20-06, 05:07 PM

they have each other

Coda
10-20-06, 05:10 PM
Personally I don't know why everyone gets so worked up over this. I think if he did what he's being accused of then it is certainly dishonest and he should have the integrity to take credit for his own work and not others. But these are not payware mods and since he is the medium in which I have recieved some pretty cool mods, I wish I could say I was truly upset about this. My work wasn't stolen though so that's also why, but if you want my advice everyone should get over this and just keep making mods. At the very worst, Donots will release a bunch of cool GWX mods early and give us a chance to play some of them before N. Korea nukes us. If not, then they will be useless when the full GWX comes out, cause everyone will want the real deal and the total packagel. Just keep modding for crying out loud and have fun.

Sad that this is creating such a stir. I agree, get over it. It's not like the plans for the next generation nuke were leaked, or some project worth 100 million was comprimised. Some perspective ..........

Lynch mobs are dangerous things.

SquareSteelBar
10-20-06, 05:11 PM
Too much fuss about a paltry pompous ass :roll:

bigboywooly
10-20-06, 05:14 PM
Maybe when you spend weeks making something which ties in with an overall release you will understand how people feel

Payware\freeware matters not - if anything its worse for freeware as Boris spent his OWN FREE time making those screens for GWX not for Donuts to release as his

And its not a question of " IF he did what he is being accused of " its fact
I have been looking at Boris's screens every time I fire up GWX so it was an easy spot when I opened Donuts " mod " to see Boris's work in there

Its easy for people to sit there and say get over it and keep modding but why?
Why keep modding for someone else to release it as theirs ?
Free time dont grow on trees and every member of the GWX team has given every free minute we have and more on working on this

Perhaps if it was your work you may understand - just hope it never is

Boris
10-20-06, 05:19 PM

Dammit, I know! :rotfl:

Pants
10-20-06, 05:20 PM

I dont think my wife would approve.:rotfl:

Coda
10-20-06, 05:39 PM
I do think that removing all of donuts work is appropriate and the right thing to do. This way the appropriate author gets credit.

Klt_KUrtz
10-20-06, 07:12 PM
"Well nice work if you can get it."
I thought his/whoevers work was brilliant and I have a lot of his/whoevers stuff running on my computer.
Great that he was caught!
KUrtz

Der Teddy Bar
10-20-06, 07:37 PM
I have just seen the Subsim threads regarding the latest concerns of Donots76 stealing. In this instance it appears that the issue is beyond doubt and as such I could not have him as part of the NYGM Team.

I can understand & sympathise with how disheartning this type of situation can be for a moder and/or mod team. I wish to extend my support and best wishes to the GW team and know that they will overcome this hurdle and deliver a knock out package in GWX.

CCIP
10-20-06, 08:43 PM
I would also add that although there have been allegations before, none of the work directly attributed to (and marked as exclusive content by) GWX has ever been released as part of NYGM, or would be without the creators direct permission.

Personally I think the 'exclusive content' is a non-issue. I don't believe in exclusive content. I do, however, believe in full credit and disclosure of sources. There are two levels of this - one is failing to state sources accurately (this was true of NYGM at one point when there were some omissions in crediting), the other is knowingly taking direct credit for others work. The 1st one is excusable provided it's addressed, the latter is inexcusable.

The issue boils down to an individual's wrongful credit claims, and that's a simple violation of mod ethics. No need to tie it to anything outside the direct issue.

kylania
10-20-06, 08:45 PM

GWX will include girlfriends?! YAY!

Ducimus
10-20-06, 09:47 PM
I. I don't believe in exclusive content.

It's a shame that, exclusive content, up until a mod is offically released, is the norm. How often do you see the two mod teams exchanging ideas openly here these days? Id argue that until a mod is released for public consumption, all content they're working is exclusive property of either mod team. I dont like it, i dont neccessarily agree with it, but thats just how it is.

I do, however, believe in full credit and disclosure of sources. There are two levels of this - one is failing to state sources accurately (this was true of NYGM at one point when there were some omissions in crediting), the other is knowingly taking direct credit for others work. The 1st one is excusable provided it's addressed, the latter is inexcusable.

I too belive in full disclousre of sources. I feel that even if you don't know what the orginal source is, you should at least state that the orginal work was not of your doing. As for NYGM at one point omitting sources, that isn't past tense, thats present tense. Ive brought it up often, purely out of principle. The mod in question i feel is a minor one, but again, its just the principle of the matter. I'd call your attention to one NYGM TW 2.2's optional mods located in the documentation directory. 3rd flotilla mod. No documentation on that at all, no source cited. Then id call your attetion to a mod i released 5 months ago:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=93647

I dont expect anything to be done about that, i just find it amusing in an odd way given the lack of response regarding my claims with supporting evidence.

The issue boils down to an individual's wrongful credit claims, and that's a simple violation of mod ethics. No need to tie it to anything outside the direct issue.

It become feasibly tied into other issues the instant he volunteered to join the other mod team. So long as he's more or less outcasted from either mod team and not allowed to "bring the goods" from one team to the other, then it's not an issue. My intrest in this is primarly to see that the integrity of GWX remains intact.

CCIP
10-20-06, 11:57 PM
Yes, I understand with what it connects to. But I don't think it'd even be fair to have the discussion about NYGM/GW issue in the same thread as donots, since these problems are obviously not in the same league.

And oh, I don't mind professional secrets! If there is one really good reason for keeping stuff restricted to developer only - it's that unfinished mods could potentially be flawed or in need of improvement/fixing. Nothing worse than a half-done mod that could break your game without you even knowing. Before release, I think the mods HAVE to stay closed until the modder decides to put them out, even as beta.

Also, as I have good relations both with GW and NYGM, I have to say that I've always respected and will continue to respect requests for secrecy. I have no problem if people want to keep something secret, even if I don't agree (and in this case, I do agree) :)

What I meant is that I think once done, developments should be available for fair use by others. As long as noone makes money from it, credit is given where it's due and how it's due, and it helps improve the game - then I think it makes no sense to be a snob and say "you only get it this way and no other". Let's not forget that we'd never even have supermods if modders had total control of what their mods ultimately end up combined with...

As for the NYGM issue - I'm starting to wish that the now-unused intro movie was taken and replaced in that mod with a full roll of credits. I think that's the only way to avoid the problems with crediting. It'd either be there up front for everyone to see, and if someone was not there then it'd be a definite problem.

kiwi_2005
10-21-06, 01:16 AM
What the hell? I must come here more often theirs more drama here than in generals! :lol:

So from what ive read this guy is from the GW team, steals some of the mods then puts them up somewhere else saying he made them? Is he nuts!:yep: Wasn't being a member of GW fame enough:hmm:

Just to make something clear i am allowed to rip apart GW on my machine and add what i want into my SH3 game - the crashes and reinstalls are my fault not GW:D

But no trying to take claim of someones elses work is simular to traitorism:nope:

The Munster
10-21-06, 01:54 AM

That's great news; I'm sick of sheep :oops: !

Ducimus
10-21-06, 01:56 AM

http://inaustralia.com.au/images/Sheep%20on%20bike.jpg

Hylander_1314
10-21-06, 07:54 AM
Maybe the poor guy just needed an ego boost. Is there a shrink in the house?!

Really, ripping other folks work off isn't very nice at all. I did a lot of skinning for B-17, which included making new panel lines and aircraft insignia that were more accurately designed and positioned, and it took weeks, and sometimes months to get it all right, and then update previous versions, or squadrons. And if someone made a mod that was great that would enhance what I was doing, I always asked for permission, and if granted, I made darn sure they were credited for their work before including it. If permission wasn't given, or they were no longer around, I would make mention of the mod, and then recommend it's use for more enhancement. You do those things out of respect, especially if others are doing this for no paycheck, and continue to do so for the improvement of the game.

So these folks have a definite reason to be upset, and downright P.O.ed at the traitor. I say nothing less than tar and feather, and run 'em out of town on a rail. But that's just the old cowboy way of making the point.

I definitely understand what the DEV teams are upset about, as it's not cool at all to screw others especially if they are still working on a particular mod. That really bites the big one. Man what a low blow. That was below the belt.

d@rk51d3
10-21-06, 08:22 AM

Kryten!!....... Unpack Rachel and bring me the puncture repair kit.:rotfl:

The Munster
10-21-06, 08:30 AM

http://inaustralia.com.au/images/Sheep%20on%20bike.jpg

How did you get that photograph of me ? That's from my "Private Collection". :rotfl:

d@rk51d3
10-21-06, 08:33 AM
Just remember that guys, next time you sit down to a lamb roast. There could be a little bit of Kpt. Munson in every bite.........:huh:

The Munster
10-21-06, 09:13 AM
Just remember that guys, next time you sit down to a lamb roast. There could be a little bit of Kpt. Munson in every bite.........:huh:

:rotfl:

Sailor Steve
10-21-06, 11:23 AM
WOW!:o I miss one day and here's this three-page thread! Shocking!

I have one question: how does this affect the first work that he claimed-the additions to Bordinstrumente? Were those his work? At that time there was never any reason to doubt it, and if that good stuff wasn't his, whose was it?

FIREWALL
10-21-06, 12:23 PM
WOW!:o I miss one day and here's this three-page thread! Shocking!

I have one question: how does this affect the first work that he claimed-the additions to Bordinstrumente? Were those his work? At that time there was never any reason to doubt it, and if that good stuff wasn't his, whose was it?

Hi SS That's a good ?. And what also worries me is with his mind, did he also add something a little xtra for down the road that can cause comp probs. I probably sound peri...pari...crazy !!! :hmm: Ave a good day & Good Hunting.

donots76
10-22-06, 11:48 AM
@ Terrapin.

Can u please delete all of my mods from u-boot.realsimulation.com (http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/) ?The Hafenkran mod its from me.Thx Guys for the nice time.Good bye and good luck with Sh3 and Sh4.I dont play Sh3.i have delete all my mods and uninstall my Sh3.Sorry for this..........Shi..

Shame on me............:nope:

The Noob
10-22-06, 12:49 PM
Thx Guys for the nice time.Good bye and good luck with Sh3 and Sh4.I dont play Sh3.i have delete all my mods and uninstall my Sh3.Sorry for this..........Shi..

People can change donots. And that includes you. I don't know about the rest of the community, but i would give you a second chance.

Don't stop playing subsims because you screw'd up. I would apologize and wait what will be the Authoritys next move.

In eines der supermodteams wirst du wohl nichtmehr aufgenommen werden, aber daran bist du selbst schuld.

MothBalls
10-22-06, 01:03 PM
@ Terrapin.

Can u please delete all of my mods from u-boot.realsimulation.com (http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/) ?The Hafenkran mod its from me.Thx Guys for the nice time.Good bye and good luck with Sh3 and Sh4.I dont play Sh3.i have delete all my mods and uninstall my Sh3.Sorry for this..........Shi..

That took courage to admit. It sounds like you are genuinely sorry and feel remorse for your actions.

I hope you don’t quit subsim or quit playing the game over this. I say we should all let bygones be bygones and just move on like it never happened.

You may want to consider a new thread, started by you. I think it would be appropriate.

Safe-Keeper
10-22-06, 01:08 PM
Good man.

Pants
10-22-06, 01:16 PM
Would of been better if he apologised to the individuals in question instead of a generalised apology.Just IMO

The Noob
10-22-06, 03:06 PM
Yes. The worst thing he could do now is to sneak away and get banned.

Jimbuna
10-22-06, 03:39 PM
Much credit to you for the apology :up: .....how about apologising to the individuals concerned then maybe everyone can move forward positively in the right direction ? :D

Soviet_Warlord
10-22-06, 10:25 PM
Much credit to you for the apology :up: .....how about apologising to the individuals concerned then maybe everyone can move forward positively in the right direction ? :D

I agree.

By the way, his apology should be split into a new thread.

The Munster
10-23-06, 11:47 AM
@kiwi 2005.. I've sent you a PM; please take a look.

The General
10-23-06, 12:04 PM
GWX will include girlfriends?! YAY!Excuse me gentlemen, did this furore over stolen files further delay the release of (the already long awaited) GWX?

Pants
10-23-06, 12:15 PM
Nope no delay:up:
Update soon.

_Seth_
10-23-06, 01:11 PM
Nope no delay:up:
Update soon.

*puhhhh* (catching my breath......good news....):up:
You guys are marvellous! :yep:

FIREWALL
10-23-06, 01:16 PM
I hope it doesn't or... " The Beatings Will Continue... Until The Morale Improves":arrgh!: :) :) :)

Kpt. Lehmann
10-24-06, 10:07 AM
GWX will include girlfriends?! YAY!Excuse me gentlemen, did this furore over stolen files further delay the release of (the already long awaited) GWX?

Not at all... Thank you for caring though. It is always good to see guys like you taking such an interest in matters and keeping the interest level high.