PDA

View Full Version : Gamma setting and SubGuru's toned down stars

Palindromeria
10-07-06, 01:24 PM
I wish i had known about the gamma setting in dangerouswaters.ini sooner :)

having set it to "0.8" i now see much more in narrowband.

This also causes the already ridiculously bright starlight reflections off the water surface ( in daylight !! ) to become absolutely ludicrous.

The subguru "toned down stars" just became an ESSENTIAL
component to my setup. THANKS Bill ! :up:

Bill Nichols
10-07-06, 05:15 PM
My pleasure! :sunny:

Linton
10-08-06, 05:56 AM
Would you give a little more information before I go wading nto the programme files please?

goldorak
10-08-06, 08:11 AM
Would you give a little more information before I go wading nto the programme files please?

Just open with notepad the dangerouswaters.ini file.
You'll find a line .Gamma "" under the [Graphics] section of the file if no value has been entered.
Choose for instance 0.8 as your value so the line becomes .Gamma "0.8"
Thats it.
If the DW.ini file does not contain the .Gamma entry just add it by hand.

Linton
10-08-06, 10:02 AM
Thank you for that.Is it possible to do the same thing with SC?

Dr.Sid
10-08-06, 10:29 AM

Try it ..

Jamie
10-12-06, 01:54 PM

No, it was a new feature for DW... You can change the setting in your video card drivers for SC though (nVidia and ATI both have controls for Gamma in their various driver suites).

kcburyshaker
10-21-06, 10:35 AM
just tried changing my gamma setting and indeed it does make a difference in seeing lines on a broadband display, now im off to subguru to get them toned down stars.

Palindromeria
10-24-06, 10:37 AM
yessiree bob!
gotta get them toned down stars

or be able to pretend the reflected starlight
is actually millions of luminescent life forms :D

thx again Bill

Dr.Sid
10-24-06, 01:11 PM
The file with stars is actualy quite simple textual file. I for example found that stars costs me FPS heavily on my notebook. So I deleted all but the most bright stars and it is much faster now. It is simple because stars are sorted by brightness. The last number in the row represents brightness.

Only do it if underwater view is visibly faster then 'overwater' view. Stars are not drawn under the water.

Palindromeria
10-26-06, 11:48 PM
interesting info,
thx sid !

Stern
10-27-06, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info all, and maybe I can attribute a small percentage of why I suck at DW to that setting (always wondered why an Akula could find me when I was doing 2K and he was at 5K 4 nm away, and i had nothing lol). I now have it set to "0.8" (instead of "") and hopefully next time I play I can actually see something on NB LMAO, well atleast a platform and not an incoming weapon lol.