PDA

View Full Version : Steps to install Grey Wolves?

Goat
10-03-06, 09:21 PM
Those of you that have it all down pat, please forgive an Old Guy that is trying.

I really just want to have Grey Wolves in SH3. I don't want to add any other Bells and Whistles... at least until I learn the Game.

I have the Grey Wolves Set-Up 'exe' and four (4) Bin files extracted into my SH3 Data Folder. Then I 'ran' the EXE. It sure LOOKS like it is 'installed' when I run the Game, but this 'way' is not discussed anywhere that I can find. There ARE a few other 'methods', but for the life of me I can't follow the instructions.

As I said above, I don't want to get into JSGME, SH3 Commander, Minitweaker, nor NYGM... I just want a nice, stable install of SH3 / 1.4 patch / GW

Can some kind soul tell me if I accidentally did it right ???

Deimos01
10-03-06, 09:48 PM
Ok, 1st of all you need to have a Clean install of Sh3. That means, any previous installs you have need to be un-installed. Then go into */program files/ ubisoft and delete the folder. * being whatever drive you have Sh3 installed on. This is a vital step as the un-install program will not remove all aspects of SH3 and it will cause conflicts when you re-install.

Next load patch 1.4b compatible with whatever version of SH3 you have.... ie US DVD, Euro DVD, Download version... etc. So if you bought the DVD version in the United States then you want the patch the corrisponds to it.

Ok, now Im assuming you have downloaded all the GW files. Next step is to extract them into a common folder. I made a new one in "My Documents" Titled GW mod. Once you extract all the file into that folder, open it up and you should see an .exe icon. Run it and you should be good to go.

When GW loads you will get a window asking about options. The Das Boot intro is way cool. Sea floor textures will kill yer frame rates.

If everything loads properly then you will get the GW intro screen and when the game loads up it will say "not so long ago" instead of "initializing"

Goat
10-03-06, 10:04 PM
Thank you SOOO much ! Yes, that's what I did...exactly. It just didn't agree with the more complex things I saw, so I wasn't sure. If the total of FIVE files are the whole GW package, I'm set.

Great game. I hope I can 'live' until I get to the Patrol Grid !!!

Thanks ag'in

Tuddley3
10-03-06, 10:12 PM
About the Sea Floor Textures, I use the Stock Sea Floor. Like he said above, they kill your frame rates, like a Slideshow.

Goat
10-03-06, 11:11 PM
Hmmm... is there anywhere you can change your selection? I clicked for the GW Sea Floor...:cry:

shegeek72
10-03-06, 11:19 PM
About the Sea Floor Textures, I use the Stock Sea Floor. Like he said above, they kill your frame rates, like a Slideshow.
The water density (transparency) is so dark, i.e. more accurate, in GW anyway that I don't see how the hi res bottoms would add much. I missed being able to see my sub (I especially like the bubbles, though I don't know where they're from, maybe ballast trim or the crew farting). :p So I set the transparency higher in SH3 Commander and my bubbles are back. ;)
--
http://users4.ev1.net/%7Etaragem/frauleinvomAmtsm.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A4ulein)

Hueywolf123
10-04-06, 12:08 AM
Well flatulence is definately one cause for bubbles, but, when you push a solid object through water at speed, depending upon the density, you will cause the water to oxegenate. This is what causes cavitation when you spin your props too hard. This is where your bubbles come from.
This is also how fish gills work, as water is forced across and through them, the water oxeygenates, the bubbles stay behind allowing the oxeygen to be absorbed and the rest moves on.
just more useless knowledge from my underworked brain

Goat
10-04-06, 07:53 AM
Thanks, Fellas... I'd like to know if there is a way of changing some of those GW selections that were made at Install ??

danlisa
10-04-06, 07:58 AM
@Goat

Just re-run the installer and select different options.

stabiz
10-04-06, 08:12 AM
Yes, you dont have to uninstall or anything, just install gw on top of the one you just installed.

Goat
10-04-06, 08:16 AM
Okayyyyy.... I'm not the most experienced, but it is seeming that most of the 'tricks' in this Game are done just a little different than the few other games I have.

I appreciate your assistance, and NOW.. I think I'm ready to just Play and Learn... and read some more !

T U

Tuddley3
10-04-06, 08:29 AM
Here is the Stock Sea Floor file http://files.filefront.com/Stock_Sea_Floor_Modzip/;5972414;;/fileinfo.html

I thought what a silly thing, Sea Floor effecting above sea level. But no more Slideshow, only when I'm in port, near large convoy, or a massive ship explosion(Mainly due to Real Damage Mod). I have the GW 1.0 from UBRS, 6 part download, not an exe. That's how I found the Stock Sea Floor file.

Goat
10-04-06, 08:30 AM
:D :D :D I see my "Q" was moved... That's fine, I didn't know where it belonged!

By the way, it is my intention to install SH3 on another computer here, and ultimately 'catch-up' with the many ....things that are added-on. Just not on THIS machine, Now. I need one to simply run the Game on....

Bye...