PDA

View Full Version : deck gun question...

Crawlerz
10-02-06, 03:37 PM
i got a bit of a historical/ingame question.

why would u (and the german commanders) want to UNinstall the deck gun from their uboats:ping: ? is it for the obvious speed/hydrodynamics benefits? why else? can u post a link to a historical document? thnk u.

also! why, although i M the commander of the uboat why OH WHY is the game calling me leutenant? shouldn't i be the commander/kapitan?:arrgh!: plz explain.:doh:

kylania
10-02-06, 03:42 PM
From http://uboat.net/technical/guns.htm

From June 1943 the Atlantic-boats left their bases without the deck gun. Only in the Mediterranean (http://uboat.net/ops/mediterranean.htm) and the Northern Sea boats kept their guns for a few months longer. In July 1944 some of the VIIC boats from the 8th Flotilla (http://uboat.net/flotillas/8flo.htm) in Königsberg got their guns back for the patrols in the Baltic Sea against the Russians.

The end of the deck guns

After the massive anti-submarine build-up by the allies in 1942 and 1943 the deck guns were removed from almost all the boats in 1943 and 1944. A few commanders were allowed to retain them though, esp. the ones who commanded the boats in the Indian Ocean (the Monsun boats (http://uboat.net/ops/monsun.htm)). But, in effect, from 1943 the deck gun was for the most boats a thing of the past.

_Seth_
10-02-06, 04:41 PM
Well, it has to do with Bernards gunnery-practice.... Unfortunately, one of the star-shells hit Dönitz's summer residence, while Dönitz's wife was inside. After she came running out of the house with her dress on fire (to all the uboat-crew at the docks great pleasure), all the deck-guns were removed from the boats. Weird that they didnt remove Bernard instead, but i suppose he's related to Dönitz in some way...

Warmonger
10-02-06, 05:22 PM
Well, it has to do with Bernards gunnery-practice.... Unfortunately, one of the star-shells hit Dönitz's summer residence, while Dönitz's wife was inside. After she came running out of the house with her dress on fire (to all the uboat-crew at the docks great pleasure), all the deck-guns were removed from the boats. Weird that they didnt remove Bernard instead, but i suppose he's related to Dönitz in some way...

No no no, that is one of the biggest historical misunderstandings. Bernard accidentally fired a starshell near Doenitz's house, illuminating his bedroom where he was wearing a maid's costume during a very special roleplay. Suffice to say that was the end of all deck guns...

_Seth_
10-02-06, 05:33 PM

No no no, that is one of the biggest historical misunderstandings. Bernard accidentally fired a starshell near Doenitz's house, illuminating his bedroom where he was wearing a maid's costume during a very special roleplay. Suffice to say that was the end of all deck guns...:rotfl::rotfl:Scheisse, thats good!!!!!! :up::up::up:

edjcox
10-02-06, 11:57 PM
It was simply a matter of noise and utility.

They perturbed water flow and gurgled a lot making a DD's listening easier. The guns were not as important once the torpedoes rang and lethality improved. The deck area was also employed for spare's storage..

Donitz hat nichts damit zu tuhen..

Crawlerz
10-03-06, 10:16 AM
but how does all this relate to the INGAME experience???:ping: does removing the deckgun ingame make the DD hard of hearing? does it make the boat "more streamlined"? does it decrease diving time? does it have any effect?:doh: :damn:

Sailor Steve
10-03-06, 10:19 AM
Probably none of the above, but they did it in real life, so there!:p

No, honestly I'm not sure of all the reasons. Probably one good one was that 150 3.46" shells take up room that could be used for extra storage, maybe even freeing up that extra toilet. Now THERE's a good reason.

Of course that doesn't have much effect in the game, either.

HunterICX
10-03-06, 10:36 AM
:-? Well because later on all the merchants have Deck guns, and they probally have more firepower then you do with ur single cannon....

I pressed ''S'' (accidently :damn: ) once when I was in the middle of a convoy late '43....sunk couple of minuts after with the IXD-2

Warmonger
10-03-06, 11:08 AM
:-? Well because later on all the merchants have Deck guns, and they probally have more firepower then you do with ur single cannon....

That and the ever increasing threat by planes and hunter-killer groups made deck guns obsolete over the time so they were removed (unfortunately not along with Bernard).

SteamWake
10-03-06, 11:56 AM
No no no, that is one of the biggest historical misunderstandings. Bernard accidentally fired a starshell near Doenitz's house, illuminating his bedroom where he was wearing a maid's costume during a very special roleplay. Suffice to say that was the end of all deck guns...

NO I refuse to belive this. Bernard cant get anything right even by accident !

Besides Doenitz preferred the nurse outfit.

HunterICX
10-03-06, 12:20 PM

:nope: No, No and No

Doenitz preferres his fashionable Catwoman Suit with a leather string up his butthole and then he has his haircut, his moustache and Hat the same as Hitler and put on his favorite record ''ABBA'' Mama Mia

Jimbuna
10-03-06, 01:03 PM

ROFLMAO :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Crawlerz
10-03-06, 02:40 PM
very funnY!:rotfl: ROFL!

bookworm_020
10-03-06, 06:18 PM

:nope: No, No and No

Doenitz preferres his fashionable Catwoman Suit with a leather string up his butthole and then he has his haircut, his moustache and Hat the same as Hitler and put on his favorite record ''ABBA'' Mama Mia

I don't care what Doenitz was wearing, Erich Raeder always had better style!! :rotfl:

Safe-Keeper
10-03-06, 06:41 PM
Couldn't SH3 Commander be made to check if your boat had a deck gun or not and reduce the speed of it if it did:-?? I realize it'd globally affect all boats of the type, but still.