PDA

View Full Version : Grey wolves mod problems...

francozero
09-29-06, 09:42 AM
hi,

after running sh3 for quite a while, i decided to try out the grey wolves mod...
i must say, it looks awesome... but i seem to have a problem with it.

as long as i run a single mission, or start a new carreer, there's no problem at all. but when i try to load a saved carreer, right after the black screen that says "not so long ago...", i get a error msg saying "an error occured in sh3... must close program..."
it doesn't matter if it's a grey wolves saved carreer or a pre-grey wolves saved carreer...

any1 know what is wrong with my install?..
i installed the grey wolves mod on top of a clean (and 1sth) install of sh3, without any addons or updates... exept for the 1.4b no-dvd exe and the 1.4b patch...

another "problem" is that i can't see anything under water... i know the channel (north sea) isn't like the pacific, and the mod is probably more realistic than the original game. but seeing nothing isn't exactly interesting either.
can i make the sea lighter in some way (i installed the 16km light version)?..

any help is welcome... no fun in starting a new carreer every day...

thanx,

franco

bigboywooly
09-29-06, 09:52 AM
hi,

after running sh3 for quite a while, i decided to try out the grey wolves mod...
i must say, it looks awesome... but i seem to have a problem with it.

as long as i run a single mission, or start a new carreer, there's no problem at all. but when i try to load a saved carreer, right after the black screen that says "not so long ago...", i get a error msg saying "an error occured in sh3... must close program..."
it doesn't matter if it's a grey wolves saved carreer or a pre-grey wolves saved carreer...

any1 know what is wrong with my install?..
i installed the grey wolves mod on top of a clean (and 1sth) install of sh3, without any addons or updates... exept for the 1.4b no-dvd exe and the 1.4b patch...

any help is welcome... no fun in starting a new carreer every day...

thanx,

franco

Did you have another install of SH3 before ? one that you unistalled
Did you remember to remove the SH3 folder in my documents if yes to above

Can you post what the error message says exactly - may help

francozero
09-29-06, 09:58 AM
hi,

thanx for the quick response...

it's still my first install of sh3, + the 1.4b patch and the 1.4b no-dvd thingy, as i never needed to uninstall the game for any reason...
and no, i didn't remove any folder in my documents... i probably goofed up there...

can i still do that, or is my game "a bird for the cat"?..

thanx,

franco

bigboywooly
09-29-06, 10:03 AM
hi,

thanx for the quick response...

it's still my first install of sh3, + the 1.4b patch and the 1.4b no-dvd thingy, as i never needed to uninstall the game for any reason...
and no, i didn't remove any folder in my documents... i probably goofed up there...

can i still do that, or is my game "a bird for the cat"?..

thanx,

franco

Lol no leave the folder there
If you uninstall then remove it but it needs to be there otherwise - your careers and other stuff are in there

Well if you can post the error message then

francozero
09-29-06, 10:13 AM
the message says:
"An error occured in Silent Hunter III and must be shut down. Our apologies for this inconvenience."

"You were performing a task. This data is probably lost."

"If you want more info about this error... Click Here"

button: "Track error" button: "Close"

this message might not be 100% exact, as i use a dutch winxp and had to translate it to english... but i'm sure you'll get the point... :)

franco

francozero
09-29-06, 10:30 AM
BTW, i tried the "Track Errors" button... but that didn't have any effect at all (exept for closing the error window).

so much for tracking the error... makes me remind the "windows help function"... :)

franco

raymond6751
10-02-06, 01:49 PM
I had to reinstall after trying that No-DVD patch. Nothing would fix my game.

It was dumb because I have two copies of the game and no problem with putting in a disk. Grrrr.

My advice, stay away from it, reinstall from scratch. Firstly, delete the save.tmp and replay.tmp files from My Documents/SH3/Data/Cfg. Copy the rest off to another folder for later.

After you reinstall clean, patch, and add your mods - making sure to reboot and load up the game at each stage - then copy back in your career backups mentioned above. Again delete any save and replay tmp files.

You will have to start back in port again, but the careers should work fine.

Luck

smoke
10-02-06, 05:14 PM
When you do your uninstall, do a clean uninstall. Use your search to look for any hidden folders. One left cfg. file will mess up your reinstall. You might be surprised at how many shlll files are still hidden, that your uninstall did not remove

Good Luck

Viktor Vogel

U-69

Phantom II
10-02-06, 06:23 PM
I used to get that, I think it may just be a busted saved-game, because when I restarted my career it worked fine. You should try that.

-Phantom

francozero
10-03-06, 03:26 AM
hi,

sorry for the delay... and thanx for all responses btw...

i did try starting a new carreer, and that works. but as soon as i save my game, and reload the saved game, i get the same error message.

i don't mind trying a complete reinstall of the game + patch + mod, but is there a list of files/folders and registry entries i should delete somewhere?
i'll try it without the no-dvd patch this time, but i'd like to be sure everything sh3-related is removed from my system first.

i know this is an issue with several games (deleting all related files/folders/entries), but in most cases there's a patch/tool that removes everything for ta... is there something made for sh3?

thanx,

franco

francozero
10-05-06, 05:19 AM
ok, uninstalled the game completely...
i also got rid of any sh3 related fikes and folders, and even did a reg-clean...

reinstalled the game, and tested it... works like a charm (even with my old savegames).
installed the 1.4b patch, and tested the game again... works perfect (new and saved carreers).
installed the grey wolfs mod, and tested again... works like a charm, untill i save the game and load the (newly) saved game... that's when i get the error message and get kicked back to desktop...

dunno what's wrong, but it must have something to do with the gw mod. if i start a new carreer, i can run the gw mod all day long without any problems. but when i save the (new) carreer, and load it again, the game goes bezerk...
after running the mod for a while (new carreer or single mission), i noticed this isn't the only problem i have with it... my deck-gun sight is way off to the right. if i want to hit a target (even when it's not moving), i must place it at the far right side of the sight (mark before the outher right mark)...
can the deck-gun sight be trimmed, and is yes, how?...

and ofcourse, if any1 know a solution (or workaround) for my "loading saved games" problem... any help is welcome.

thanx,

franco

ref
10-05-06, 08:21 AM
the message says:
"An error occured in Silent Hunter III and must be shut down. Our apologies for this inconvenience."

"You were performing a task. This data is probably lost."

"If you want more info about this error... Click Here"

button: "Track error" button: "Close"

this message might not be 100% exact, as i use a dutch winxp and had to translate it to english... but i'm sure you'll get the point... :)

franco

If you get the ctd again click on ...more info about this error, and take note on what module the error is, It'll help to pinpoint the cause (ie. SH3collisions.act normally a problem with a zone file, etc)

Ref

VonHelsching
10-05-06, 09:25 AM
ok, uninstalled the game completely...
i also got rid of any sh3 related fikes and folders, and even did a reg-clean...

reinstalled the game, and tested it... works like a charm (even with my old savegames).
installed the 1.4b patch, and tested the game again... works perfect (new and saved carreers).
installed the grey wolfs mod, and tested again... works like a charm, untill i save the game and load the (newly) saved game... that's when i get the error message and get kicked back to desktop...

It looks like you havnīt deleted the My Documents / SH3 folder...since you reloaded your old campaigns.

Also donīt upgrade anything (even change the loadout of torpedos) in your first mission.

Regarding the deck gun, IIRC I had this rarely even with the stock game.