PDA

View Full Version : Plotting on a chart

[dc]Blade
09-27-06, 06:16 PM
Hi all i was wondering the name of a particular chart, Im new to naval sims so you will have to bear with me while il explane the best i can.
The chart i have seen i beleve is to help you plot a target over a given time by bearing rate and distance to target simlar to TMA, but its a chart that looks like a radar with the a ruler at the bottom that you can draw a line through at various points to show distance over time to give you speed, i saw it around a website as a picture or PDF to download, and i have not seen it since i spotted it in a website at work (Lunch Break :)) i am sure it was somthing that was given as an aid or training tool, but i cant be sure, Sorry i cant be more discriptive my knowledge at best is vary low at the moment and im hoping if i can locate this chart it might make my understanding a little easier in the ways of plotting and general trigernometry.

Thanks in advance.:up:

SeaQueen
09-27-06, 06:23 PM
A maneuvering board maybe?

Maneuvering boards are hand. Once you do your TMA, you can use them to do things like plot CPA distance, intercept courses, etc.

[dc]Blade
09-27-06, 06:36 PM
Thats it:D could you point me in the direction of were i could obtain one to print off?

SeaQueen
09-27-06, 08:28 PM
Blade']Thats it:D could you point me in the direction of were i could obtain one to print off?

Here's where you can get some nice reusable ones instead of the paper ones they use in the navy:

http://www.waypoints.com/plottingsheet.html

You can download the radar navigation and maneuvering board manual from the national geospacial intelligence agency's website.

http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/maritime/?epi_menuItemID=22707e6ae3d0c1b25b2a7fbd3227a759&epi_menuID=35ad5b8aabcefa1a0fc133443927a759&epi_baseMenuID=e106a3b5e50edce1fec24fd73927a759

It's actually pretty fun to read if you like geeky navigational stuff...

Narcosis
09-28-06, 06:01 AM
Blade'] i saw it around a website as a picture or PDF to download, and i have not seen it since

Your lucky, I know exactly what web page you mean. Most likely because i use the same Maneuvering board all the time.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/navy/nrtc/14308_ch11.pdf

[dc]Blade
09-28-06, 07:35 AM
Thank you all, it`s nice to have been helped out so quickly most apreciated:up:

Linton
09-30-06, 07:11 PM
Can somebody upload a decent copy of one of the templates?The shipping costs to the UK would prohibit ordering a pad,

[dc]Blade
10-01-06, 04:02 AM
IF you look at one of the link to the PDF wich is one of the above posts then you should be able to print off one of those, i think its on page 4 the only problem is that its not quite as big as your proberbly expecting, in wich case it would be nice to have a larger picture possibly a high qaulity JPEG, But as the saying gose beggers cant be chosers (Ie me begging in the first place:lol:)

micky1up
10-01-06, 04:43 AM
Blade']Hi all i was wondering the name of a particular chart, Im new to naval sims so you will have to bear with me while il explane the best i can.
The chart i have seen i beleve is to help you plot a target over a given time by bearing rate and distance to target simlar to TMA, but its a chart that looks like a radar with the a ruler at the bottom that you can draw a line through at various points to show distance over time to give you speed, i saw it around a website as a picture or PDF to download, and i have not seen it since i spotted it in a website at work (Lunch Break :)) i am sure it was somthing that was given as an aid or training tool, but i cant be sure, Sorry i cant be more discriptive my knowledge at best is vary low at the moment and im hoping if i can locate this chart it might make my understanding a little easier in the ways of plotting and general trigernometry.

if you send me your address i could send you some plotting sheets we use them to find course and speed distance of track and courss and speeds to intercept the target i will post how you use em but they are a bit dated now not used much modern radar duz it for you

[dc]Blade
10-01-06, 09:08 AM
Thanks Micky PM sent :up: