PDA

View Full Version : Landlubber Noob in need of assistance! :)

Belfrahn
09-27-06, 01:05 AM
Ahoy, Captains!

I recently purchased Silent Hunter III and (on Gamespy's recomedation) downloaded and installed the Greywolves supermod. Now I'm having trouble with... the second mission in the Naval Academy! (Quick reminder: it's the Naval Artillery one)

It seems that no matter how much I pummel the ships with my deck gun I can't sink nor disable a single ship! I mean I've blown the Command Tower repeatedly, various smoke stacks are coming from many parts of the ship, I repeatedly gorge it's water line and the damn thing just keeps putt-putting on! :damn: I've wasted almost all my ammo on a single ship and the thing will not sink.

Could it be the Greywolves supermod? With the modified damage model, couldn't it have made it impossible to sink 5 ships with the Deck gun?

If not, can someone point me in the right direction? I've read the community manual but to no avail...

Thankyou!! :arrgh!:

Finnbat
09-27-06, 01:13 AM
Yes, you are right.
You need to get hole under waterline.

kylania
09-27-06, 01:27 AM
The Grey Wolves mod was not designed with the tutorials in mind, which makes them extremely difficult compared to how they would run in Vanilla SH3.

You don't actually need to complete the training missions, and in fact the only reward you get will be quickly gained after your first career patrol.

If you feel confident using the deck gun, and realize how difficult it is to sink anything larger than a few hundred tons with it, you should consider the training mission complete and useful.

Grey Wolves, and other "supermods" like NYGM 2.2, certainly makes SH3 more difficult but it adds so much to the game and being successful on a patrol where you knew real risk is much more of a reward than a few quick explosions. :)

Dantenoc
09-27-06, 01:28 AM
edited: nevermind... Kylania already answered

VonHelsching
09-27-06, 06:24 AM
Ahoy, Captains!

I recently purchased Silent Hunter III and (on Gamespy's recomedation) downloaded and installed the Greywolves supermod. Now I'm having trouble with... the second mission in the Naval Academy! (Quick reminder: it's the Naval Artillery one)

It seems that no matter how much I pummel the ships with my deck gun I can't sink nor disable a single ship! I mean I've blown the Command Tower repeatedly, various smoke stacks are coming from many parts of the ship, I repeatedly gorge it's water line and the damn thing just keeps putt-putting on! :damn: I've wasted almost all my ammo on a single ship and the thing will not sink.

Could it be the Greywolves supermod? With the modified damage model, couldn't it have made it impossible to sink 5 ships with the Deck gun?

If not, can someone point me in the right direction? I've read the community manual but to no avail...

Thankyou!! :arrgh!:

Welcome aboard! Regarding the damage model, you will have to concentrate your hit under the waterline to enable the ship to sink faster. Also, when torpedoing, try to hit the ships in different parts, to flood more compatrments.

HunterICX
09-27-06, 06:30 AM
An good tactic with the Deck gun against an Large ship is:

first fire an torpedo, and try to criple the ship so it stops moving and start to lean towards one side...then get a good distance (1000 meters is good) and shoot below the water line for a while, stop shooting when you see the the deck of the ship under water , after a while she will roll over on her side and sink :arrgh!:

homeless1
09-27-06, 08:13 AM
Definately go for the waterline. You should get an "Average" grade at least. Quick tip - if you want to shorten the time this tedious exercise takes, dl SH3 Commander and use the option to reduce the deck gun reload times.

HTH

Mike