PDA

View Full Version : Seawolves editorial

Bis71
09-26-06, 06:53 AM
I'm writing a piece on how modders get ripped off and, of course, Seawolves comes to mind. If anybody here would like to share their experiences, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

pokara
09-26-06, 09:53 AM
I'm writing a piece on how modders get ripped off and, of course, Seawolves comes to mind. If anybody here would like to share their experiences, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

:huh: :stare: :huh: seawolves??? :nope: :damn:

:down: :down:

Dowly
09-26-06, 09:58 AM
Actually, this is a good thing. He writes about the Seawolves and how they stole community made mods and used them.

Bis71: Search the forum with keywords; seawolves contains mods

That should come up with a thread that was made when it seawolves became public, it tells what free mods were used in it.

pokara
09-26-06, 10:05 AM
...seawolves became public, it tells what free mods were used in it.

:o ... free mods.. but you have to pay for the seawolves mod...
dont like it ANYTHING. sorry but thats my opinion..

This modders arent 'share friendly'... :down: and that kind of job (for me) cant be what a modder reallly is.. i dont know if i explain myself cause my poor english dont let me.. but i hope you'll understand what i think about seawolves........

:down: :down:

Dowly
09-26-06, 10:23 AM
Well, ~95% of the people here in SubSim dont like Seawolves because you can get almost everything it has for free.

Down Seawolves!! :down::down::down::yep:

Oh and by the way, your english is not so bad. :)

The Noob
09-26-06, 10:42 AM
Down Seawolves!! :down::down::down::yep:
Wrong Dowly. It's not "Down Seawolves!!", it's "Sink Seawolves!!!!!!!!!". ;) :up:

Date: Spetember 26, 2006
To: BDU
Subject: USS Seawolves

We just sunk the USS Seawolves with a 1 Torpedo lucky shot!
Cool the Beer for us!

Message End.

:rock:

Bis71
09-26-06, 10:59 AM
Thanks, guys. Still waiting for editor's approval.

Boris
09-26-06, 11:06 AM
Pardon my ignorance, maybe I should know this... who are you writing for?

Bis71
09-26-06, 03:17 PM
I'm trying to get SZO/xtrene-gamer but I imagine I can get it published oyher places.

Wulfmann
09-26-06, 06:58 PM
That would be a nice piece!

I am sure you would want to be accurate as stating things that are not actual fact would leave you open for liable and I know your publication would prefer not to lose money.:yep:

I am also sure you would start by saying before there was a SH3 payware add on the free mod community illegally downloaded the first Seawolves files from the private unsecured X-1 site.

Since nothing had yet been published the first act of theft was actually our community.:arrgh!:

I am also sure you will report that since UBI owns all the copyrights to SH3 files and the user agrees to this (every user even mod makers) that even those UBI files that are modified still belong to UBI who has the right to give permission for their use irregardless of who that is and they gave Seawolves permission and no one else.

But, I am sure you know that and will accurately share that unless you write stories like Reuters publishes pictures and Dan Rather (use to) report the News!

Wulfmann

ref
09-26-06, 09:10 PM
Since nothing had yet been published the first act of theft was actually our community.:arrgh!:
Wulfmann

You may try not to generalize your comments, or perhaps, as you suggested give some proof of your statements.

Ref

Rose
09-26-06, 09:11 PM
for their use irregardless of who that is

Irregardless is not a word. Sorry, that just bugged me a little. It's something our president would say.

Bis71
09-26-06, 09:15 PM
Wulfmann,

You post alot on this ttopic. Maybe you can help me with the facts instead of telling me my job. I really don't see how X-1's misfortune with the first file is relevant to the final product.

Cdre Gibs
09-26-06, 09:21 PM
I have learnt to just ignore Wulfmann, he know's not of what he speaks. He thinks he does but than so do most of the insane.

SeaWolf IV
09-26-06, 11:40 PM
He sounds like a dog backed into the corner...

macstu23
09-26-06, 11:57 PM
I may not agree with everything he says either but he has a point mentioning that UBI own the files which the modders modify and give out free to the community.

When UBI handed out their license to X-1, a software company which knowingly ripped off files from modders in the SH3 community, they endorsed theft from their own customers...Maybe not the theft of files, which belonged to UBI in the first place, but intellectual theft in any case, since we took their product and made it work better.

Now that the same fiasco has been repeated with Combat Planes and 'Battle in the Med', draw your own conclusion. Basically, I wont be buying another UBI product.

I have no interest in SH4, which will no doubt be a much better game, when it comes straight out the box at least, than SH3 was, thanks in no small way to the input from the modders on this forum.

This community accounts for possibly 20% of everybody that bought SH3, if even that close. Somebody is laughing all the way to the bank, and flipping us a finger as they go.

MothBalls
09-27-06, 01:07 AM

Wulfmann

So how long have you worked at X1?

He must be 2 people. No 1 person could be that stupid.

sergbuto
09-27-06, 02:19 AM
Good job, Bis71.

Bad should be always identified as Bad in public without hesitation.

Boris
09-27-06, 02:20 AM

I am sure you would want to be accurate as stating things that are not actual fact would leave you open for liable and I know your publication would prefer not to lose money.:yep:

I am also sure you would start by saying before there was a SH3 payware add on the free mod community illegally downloaded the first Seawolves files from the private unsecured X-1 site.

I am also sure you will report that since UBI owns all the copyrights to SH3 files and the user agrees to this (every user even mod makers) that even those UBI files that are modified still belong to UBI who has the right to give permission for their use irregardless of who that is and they gave Seawolves permission and no one else.

But, I am sure you know that and will accurately share that unless you write stories like Reuters publishes pictures and Dan Rather (use to) report the News!

Wulfmann

Legal issues aside, many modders are certain that their work has been used... which makes it a matter of professional ethics.

sergbuto
09-27-06, 03:28 AM
I may not agree with everything he says either but he has a point mentioning that UBI own the files which the modders modify and give out free to the community.

When UBI handed out their license to X-1, a software company which knowingly ripped off files from modders in the SH3 community, they endorsed theft from their own customers...Maybe not the theft of files, which belonged to UBI in the first place, but intellectual theft in any case, since we took their product and made it work better.

macstu23,

This has been answered before.
X-1 software also uses the files and the content which have never been a property of UBI.

macstu23
09-27-06, 03:39 AM
macstu23,

This has been answered before.
X-1 software also uses the files and the content which have never been a property of UBI.

Oh right, apologies Serg. Thankyou for the correction.

Onkel Neal
09-27-06, 08:16 AM
If you were a mod designer and you were impacted by the Seawolves issue; if you were involved with modding during the Seawolves issue and you were approached by Seawolves for permission to use your mod; if you have any insights on the Seawolves issue, I encourage you to PM Bis and share your story. It will be helpful to him and the piece to get a lot of input from people who were in the middle of the SW issue.

best,
Neal

Bis71
09-27-06, 09:07 AM
Thanks, Neal.

Klt_KUrtz
09-27-06, 10:04 AM
But wait a second Wulfmann are you not mentioned in the credits for SeaWolves Mediterranean?
Does that have some bearing on where you stand in the issue?
Are you are saying that the above was not hacked off GreyWolves in its entirety?
Goodbye Wulfmann.
KUrtz.