PDA

View Full Version : NYGM Torpedo Depth Error Mod... who's game?

Der Teddy Bar
09-22-06, 01:16 AM
The NYGM Torpedo Depth Error Mod works through SH3 Cmdr and is only possible because of it.

So that would be a yes, the NYGM Torpedo Depth Error Mod will be available for non NYGM users.

As we all know, up until late 1942 the German's had a depth keeping issue that resulted in the torpedoes going upwards of 3 metres deeper than set.

The NYGM Torpedo Depth Error Mod is random value, where with each launch of the game via Sh3 Cmdr, there is a 30% chance that no depth error will occur and a 70% chance that an error from as little as 0.5 metres up to 3+ metres will occur.

PeriscopeDepth
09-22-06, 01:54 AM
As long as the torpedoes function properly after they were historically fixed. Just making sure. :)

PD

Der Teddy Bar
09-22-06, 05:28 AM
As long as the torpedoes function properly after they were historically fixed. Just making sure. :)

PD
We have the torpedo being perfect after late 1942, but thinking about it I would prefer that after late 1942 that there be up to a 1 metre variation to simulate different keel depths.... not done, just a thought, an option I think.

Great thinking there PD :up:

Redwine
09-22-06, 07:21 AM
The NYGM Torpedo Depth Error Mod works through SH3 Cmdr and is only possible because of it.

As suggestion... make the installation as optional, not everybody uses SH3 Commander.

The NYGM Torpedo Depth Error Mod is random value, where with each launch of the game via Sh3 Cmdr, there is a 30% chance that no depth error will occur and a 70% chance that an error from as little as 0.5 metres up to 3+ metres will occur.

Better if you invert the percent chaces, 30/40% of error chance.

Many thanks for the effort and job !:up:

The Munster
09-22-06, 09:20 AM
I,m with Redwine.. I had to bin SH3 Commander because my different versions of the game started to confuse the H@LL out of it :nope:

Jager
09-22-06, 09:28 AM
I did not know this was put into the mod...:up:

Notewire
09-22-06, 09:34 AM
Kpt Munson,

If you do a search of Dual Install SH3 Cmdr - you will come up with a very helpful thread that will clarify how to set the link with a /I switch that allows you to use Sh3 Cmdr for multiple installs easily.

Yarre

The Munster
09-22-06, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Notewire.. I'll look into it as I miss elements of SHIII Commander :up:

John Pancoast
09-22-06, 10:27 AM

So that would be a yes, the NYGM Torpedo Depth Error Mod will be available for non NYGM users.

As we all know, up until late 1942 the German's had a depth keeping issue that resulted in the torpedoes going upwards of 3 metres deeper than set.

Great ! Really enjoy NYGM. Also agree with Redwine; make it available without SC if possible :)

Der Teddy Bar
09-22-06, 05:02 PM
The NYGM Torpedo Depth Error Mod cannot work as an effective mod with SH3 Cmdr or something simular.

To be an effective mod the depth error has to change and be random in such a way as to have the player never knowing if he has a depth error and if he does, so that he does not know how much.

panthercules
09-22-06, 07:16 PM
I'm liking this idea a lot, at least as far as the depth-keeping issue goes. I think it will add some welcome uncertainty to using the magnetic/keel shot approach, especially since the game seems to be set up so that all ships of the same type have exactly the same keel depth as set forth in the recog manual regardless of cargo loading. I'm also cool with the minimum depth fix, although I don't feel a great need for it since it has always been my practice and I am disciplined enough as a player not to set depth any shallower than 3m since that's what I had read was the minimum practical setting IRL.

I'm not too sure about the "always-on magnetic pistol" feature, though - I have liked the fact that in the game you stand a higher chance of failure if you choose to go with the magnetic pistol in the early years, especially in heavier seas, but that you could increase your chances of success by foregoing the magnetic pistol/keel shot attempt (which also meant you needed to make a "better" shot so that your impact pistol had a better chance of exploding instead of bouncing off). It seems that forcing the magnetic pistol to "always on" would tend to remove that dynamic from the game. Unless there was a lot higher failure rate of the impact pistols in the early years IRL than the stock game models (and maybe there was - I haven't researched it), I'd probably prefer to keep the ability to fire with impact-only setting. Will this mod be moddable to defeat this aspect while keeping the others?

In any event, this is some more awesome creativity and I salute you and the NYGM team for continuing to innovate in things like this - well done :up:

MothBalls
09-22-06, 07:46 PM
What if you selected the dud torpedoes option in the realism section of the game menu? Will clicking this option on/off affect the percentages?

Der Teddy Bar
09-22-06, 10:12 PM
I'm not too sure about the "always-on magnetic pistol" feature, though - I have liked the fact that in the game you stand a higher chance of failure if you choose to go with the magnetic pistol in the early years, especially in heavier seas, but that you could increase your chances of success by foregoing the magnetic pistol/keel shot attempt (which also meant you needed to make a "better" shot so that your impact pistol had a better chance of exploding instead of bouncing off). It seems that forcing the magnetic pistol to "always on" would tend to remove that dynamic from the game. Unless there was a lot higher failure rate of the impact pistols in the early years IRL than the stock game models (and maybe there was - I haven't researched it), I'd probably prefer to keep the ability to fire with impact-only setting. Will this mod be moddable to defeat this aspect while keeping the others?

In any event, this is some more awesome creativity and I salute you and the NYGM team for continuing to innovate in things like this - well done :up: These are valid points.

The always on magnetic pistol is to simulate the many torpedo issues that we cannot, such as a gyro compass issues, rudder issues, battery failures etc. Admittedly these were low single figure occurrences. I will also hasten to add that we only have a high failure chance when in heavy seas as compared to always for the German in the early years.

We have the advantage of hindsight and this gives us an unfair advantage as we know for certain the magnetic pistol issue and as such, we always turn it off.

For the historical magnetic pistol failure rate I have seen boats with as little as 10% to as high as 60% of total torpedoes. However, in game the player will not see figures this high.

I hope this helps.

And thankyou for the kind words.

Der Teddy Bar
09-22-06, 10:14 PM
What if you selected the dud torpedoes option in the realism section of the game menu? Will clicking this option on/off affect the percentages?
With 'Historic Torpedoes' off then you divide the above by 4 for both magnetic and impact pistols.

KeldorKatarn
09-23-06, 01:43 AM
The NYGM Torpedo Depth Error Mod cannot work as an effective mod with SH3 Cmdr or something simular.

To be an effective mod the depth error has to change and be random in such a way as to have the player never knowing if he has a depth error and if he does, so that he does not know how much.

What happens if I don't use SH3 Cmdr? WIll I have a certain constant depth error or is the stock 'no error' value default setting?

I'd rather simulate this myself by lets say throw a dice to determine the depth fault even if that takes discipline by the player. I don't want to be forced to use SH3 Cmdr just to have this feature.
Especially since I find that unrealistic. SH3 Cmdr only changes values when you start it, so during a patrol ALL torpedos would run with the same depth error. That would result in 100% torpedo failures on certain missions....

Der Teddy Bar
09-23-06, 01:55 AM

What happens if I don't use SH3 Cmdr? WIll I have a certain constant depth error or is the stock 'no error' value default setting?

I'd rather simulate this myself by lets say throw a dice to determine the depth fault even if that takes discipline by the player. I don't want to be forced to use SH3 Cmdr just to have this feature.
Especially since I find that unrealistic. SH3 Cmdr only changes values when you start it, so during a patrol ALL torpedos would run with the same depth error. That would result in 100% torpedo failures on certain missions.... If you do not use SH3 Cmdr there is no depth error.

You are correct regarding the same depth error will apply for all torpedoes.

While not a perfect solution it works well enough and I am unaware of any other way besides you idea of a self imposed depth error after having decided on your torpedo your depth, but we are human, so that will not work for 99% of us.

I guess game play wise a player could always save and reload after each attack which is a great idea that I will adopt for my personal game play.