PDA

View Full Version : AI torpedoes expanded

Safe-Keeper
09-21-06, 05:28 PM
Just a question.

We all (well, many of us) know of the great work of certain modders that allowed AI Submarines (and torpedo boats, if I'm not mistaken) to fire "electric torpedoes" by means of inivisible guns firing ditto shells which, when hitting, created a torpedo impact-like effect.

So I'm wondering if anyone else ([cough] Grey Wolves Expansion team [cough];)) were planning to expand on this idea, giving for example destroyers and torpedo bombers the ability to "launch torpedoes"?

Also, if someone could make a Torpedo Battery shore defence structure (using the same system), I would really appreciate it.

While on the topic of shore defences, is it possible to give them collision meshes so that they can actually be destroyed?

The Noob
09-21-06, 06:03 PM
I hate this solution. It's abstracting so many things. Better no AI Torps than this one...:shifty:

SeaWolf IV
09-21-06, 09:46 PM
I hate this solution. It's abstracting so many things. Better no AI Torps than this one...:shifty:

Yeah because adding more to the game to make it more realistic is stupid.......please :roll:

The Noob
09-21-06, 09:56 PM
No, i mean that Gun solution. Those aren't real torps, only Navy guns. They are Traveling way to fast for Torpedoes and could Kill you instantley. And look Stupid because of the Smoke/Flash underwater.

That was at least what was in the Readme file.

Pants
09-21-06, 09:58 PM
Just a question.

We all (well, many of us) know of the great work of certain modders that allowed AI Submarines (and torpedo boats, if I'm not mistaken) to fire "electric torpedoes" by means of inivisible guns firing ditto shells which, when hitting, created a torpedo impact-like effect.

So I'm wondering if anyone else ([cough] Grey Wolves Expansion team [cough];)) were planning to expand on this idea, giving for example destroyers and torpedo bombers the ability to "launch torpedoes"?

Also, if someone could make a Torpedo Battery shore defence structure (using the same system), I would really appreciate it.

While on the topic of shore defences, is it possible to give them collision meshes so that they can actually be destroyed?

Damn give us more work why dont you..you're almost as bad as the good Kpt :rotfl:

sergbuto
09-21-06, 11:05 PM
And look Stupid because of the Smoke/Flash underwater.

There are only normal torpedo impact effects which can be observed for real torpedoes. Before calling something stupid, it is indeed helps to read Readme carefully or to look at that something yourself before making the judgement, otherwise "stupid" can be applied to the opposite direction.

The Noob
09-21-06, 11:17 PM
And look Stupid because of the Smoke/Flash underwater.

There are only normal torpedo impact effects which can be observed for real torpedoes. Before calling something stupid, it is indeed helps to read Readme carefully or to look at that something yourself before making the judgement, otherwise "stupid" can be applied to the opposite direction.
:damn:

Sorry, i am an RESIDENT MORON. I don't have that Signature for nothing, as it seems.

ichneumon
09-22-06, 08:31 AM
I'm wondering if anyone else ([cough] Grey Wolves Expansion team [cough];)) were planning to expand on this idea, giving for example destroyers and torpedo bombers the ability to "launch torpedoes"?

I have played around with this a bit. I have modified the eqp file for destroyers so they use virtual torpedoes. If you want to try this yourself just find an unused weapons node in a destroyers eqp file (e.g. "LinkName=NULL") and replace it with "LinkName=PTVirtualTorpedo" using notepad. This assumes you have installed the guns.* files in the library from the pt boats or wolfpack mod. If you do not have an unused node you could replace a search light or 20mm machine gun or some other weapon you can live without.

You can also add torpedoes to planes by creating a new bomb loadout. You will have to add the new loadout information to both the planes eqp and cfg files. Just follow the format for one of the other loadouts.

I have tested all of this and it works. However, I was not happy with swordfish scoring torpedo hits from 5000 meters so I do not use the plane version. Long range torpedo hits from destroyers do not bother me as much so I have left them in for now.

FIREWALL
09-22-06, 12:42 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else ([cough] Grey Wolves Expansion team [cough];)) were planning to expand on this idea, giving for example destroyers and torpedo bombers the ability to "launch torpedoes"?

I have played around with this a bit. I have modified the eqp file for destroyers so they use virtual torpedoes. If you want to try this yourself just find an unused weapons node in a destroyers eqp file (e.g. "LinkName=NULL") and replace it with "LinkName=PTVirtualTorpedo" using notepad. This assumes you have installed the guns.* files in the library from the pt boats or wolfpack mod. If you do not have an unused node you could replace a search light or 20mm machine gun or some other weapon you can live without.

You can also add torpedoes to planes by creating a new bomb loadout. You will have to add the new loadout information to both the planes eqp and cfg files. Just follow the format for one of the other loadouts.

I have tested all of this and it works. However, I was not happy with swordfish scoring torpedo hits from 5000 meters so I do not use the plane version. Long range torpedo hits from destroyers do not bother me as much so I have left them in for now.
This sounds great!!! I'm going to give this a try. Thanks & Good Hunting.

sergbuto
09-23-06, 09:32 AM

In principle PTVirtualTorpedo is only optimized for torpedo boats including the number of torpedoes. Yes, it can be used for DDs but they would usually launch larger amount of torpedoes.

As to AI torpedoes for aircrafts, I am trying to work on and optimize that in my Air-attacks mod which also includes 3-inch rockets.

Pablo
09-23-06, 01:53 PM
As to AI torpedoes for aircrafts, I am trying to work on and optimize that in my Air-attacks mod which also includes 3-inch rockets.Hi!

While you're at it, would it be possible to model 5-inch rockets carried by the P-38 as well? In any event, I found a URL with some information that might be useful in this regard:

http://www.ww2guide.com/bombs.shtml

Pablo

Safe-Keeper
09-23-06, 03:18 PM
I have this feeling I'm going to truly fear the torpedo boats in the months to come.

40 knots speed+Small profile+Rockets+Guns+Torpedoes+Depth Charges+Ability to Invite every Plane and Destroyer within 100 nautical miles to come join the hunt=Crash dive upon spotting the bastards.

In the Vanilla (unmodded game), when I saw an Elco I was happy as it was fun to fight it out with them.

In the Grey Wolves mod, I get this "aw, no"-feeling when I see them as they can actually fight back now [note that I do not consider that a bad thing, as torpedo boats should be respected despite managing the incredible feat of being even smaller than my tiny u-boat].

If they are going to fire virtual torpedoes and rockets at me upon detecting me, I have a feeling I'll just go panic and dive whenever spotting one.

The same with whatever else is going to carry torpedoes and/or rockets.

Safe-Keeper
09-23-06, 06:08 PM
Bump (sorry).

Is it possible to make a torpedo rack (you know, like the ones destroyers and cruisers carry) that pivots to aim at its target and then fires virtual torpedoes (or that at least fires virtual torpedoes without pivoting to aim)?

I'm asking because I'm working on making a Coastal Torpedo Battery. I replaced the gun of the Medium Bunker with a torpedo rack, which might look nice (I haven't tested it in-game yet), but of course doesn't actually fire torpedoes. And if I replace the rack with the virtual torpedo launcher, the bunker will be empty.

PS: How will them missiles work?

bigboywooly
09-23-06, 06:21 PM

In principle PTVirtualTorpedo is only optimized for torpedo boats including the number of torpedoes. Yes, it can be used for DDs but they would usually launch larger amount of torpedoes.

As to AI torpedoes for aircrafts, I am trying to work on and optimize that in my Air-attacks mod which also includes 3-inch rockets.

Wow rockets eh Serg
Like to see that one when its ready :up:
Dont think my uboat will though

rasmus1896
09-24-06, 03:21 AM
is it possible to make exentral torps visual on the boat?

sergbuto
09-24-06, 03:27 AM
Bump (sorry).

Is it possible to make a torpedo rack (you know, like the ones destroyers and cruisers carry) that pivots to aim at its target and then fires virtual torpedoes (or that at least fires virtual torpedoes without pivoting to aim)?

I'm asking because I'm working on making a Coastal Torpedo Battery. I replaced the gun of the Medium Bunker with a torpedo rack, which might look nice (I haven't tested it in-game yet), but of course doesn't actually fire torpedoes. And if I replace the rack with the virtual torpedo launcher, the bunker will be empty.

PS: How will them missiles work?

It is all possible. A tracking launcher is more complex. The easist way for you to do a non-tracking would probably be an addition of it to the 3D model of the bunker:

-Extract a 3D model of the bunker with Pack3D
-Extract a torpedo launcher 3D model with Pack3D (version which can do that) from the guns.dat from the Library folder
-Add the torpedo launcher model to the 3D model of the bunker using say Wings3D
-Import the latter model back to the bunker file

For me, the easiest way would be adding an additional #cfg node for the virtual torpedo launcher in bunker's DAT using hex-editing.