PDA

View Full Version : GW : Keil Canal - cool but too slow

Achtung Englander
09-19-06, 04:52 AM
Upon remembering on my fourth mission from Keil that GW has the canal mapped - "wow" I thought this will save me a lot of time

and it did - virtual time that is !!. I saved almost 2 days and a one hell of a lot of fuel

BUT

because it canal is narrow time compression was limited to x4 for most of the journey. So in actual terms it took me an hour. If I used the long route passed Denmark I could have done it in about 20 mins

so the funny thing is I spend more real time to save on virtual time :damn: :stare: :lol:

DanCanovas
09-19-06, 04:54 AM
hehe and mind the unmarked lighthouse thing on the Wilhelmshaven side! i hit it and sank! :o

Achtung Englander
09-19-06, 04:56 AM
:lol:

you will not believe it - I sank too

I left it running to watch some telly - came back 30 mins later to find I collided and sank by colliding into that bloody lighthouse !!

stabiz
09-19-06, 05:28 AM
Use SH3 Commander, it lets you tweak tc-settings. I have set my close-to-land-setting at 256x.

von Zelda
09-19-06, 06:20 AM
You will find a SH3 folder under "My Documents" on your computer.

The path is my documnts/SH3/data/cfg/main

Open the "main" file and locate the time compression settings (second section from top I believe). Change the setting for proximity to land from 4 to 32 and you'll be pleased with the canal. This will cut the trip down to 10 - 15 minutes.

Achtung Englander
09-19-06, 06:40 AM
thanks

Darkseed
09-19-06, 08:16 AM
I think most people crashed into that unmarked lighthouse on their first time through the canal, I know I did. :oops:

Jimbuna
09-19-06, 08:37 AM
Lighthouse, what lighthouse? $%*"^BANG... Oh, that lighthouse! :oops:

Finnbat
09-19-06, 12:42 PM
There are two peers and lighthouses also in the middle of the canal (there where the canal is nice and wide for a chance. You just think that oh´how nice... then bang bang and hiissss, down you go.

kylania
09-19-06, 01:01 PM
How to exit safely:

http://www.kylania.com/sh3/kiel-exit.jpg

Note, the structure seen above is not visible on the in game map, so make sure you take the green route out of the Kiel exit, not the red one. :)

Albrecht Von Hesse
09-19-06, 02:35 PM
While you're changing the time compression for LandProximity from 4 (or 1) to 32, you might also want to change EnemyDetected from 8 to 1 as well (better safe than sorry).

Also, the default game setting for max speed is 1024. You can change that to 2048 (or 4096 I suppose, if you want to really speed) to make those long patrols to the East Coast USA or tip of South Africa a bit faster.

Albrecht von Hesse

_Seth_
09-19-06, 02:46 PM
Someone talked about modding their subs, so that they could reach speeds up to 80 or 90 knots. Think about this challenge: The fastest through the Kiel-canal!
The winner gets a years supply of virtual uboot-coctails!:D

Zero Niner
09-19-06, 09:55 PM
Lighthouse, what lighthouse? $%*"^BANG... Oh, that lighthouse! :oops:
:rotfl:

Torplexed
09-19-06, 11:51 PM
At least the Kiel canal in the game doesn't have locks in it like the real one. Talk about time-consuming. Flood up...flood down. :lol:

JScones
09-20-06, 02:42 AM
Also, the default game setting for max speed is 1024. You can change that to 2048 (or 4096 I suppose, if you want to really speed) to make those long patrols to the East Coast USA or tip of South Africa a bit faster.
Or 8190 if you don't mind 1 fps and a minute delay between pressing a key and SH3 reacting.

I use 4096 all the time.

P_Funk
09-20-06, 02:47 AM
Imagine a U-boat in the middle of a lock that's changing water levels and then suddenly an airplane comes into view...

HunterICX
09-20-06, 03:09 AM
Imagine a U-boat in the middle of a lock that's changing water levels and then suddenly an airplane comes into view...

:rotfl: ALAAAAAAAAAARM...Ow....crap...we cant crash dive....

Jimbuna
09-20-06, 04:09 AM

:rotfl: ALAAAAAAAAAARM...Ow....crap...we cant crash dive....

ALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARM.....Oh ...feck it.....what's the point!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

HunterICX
09-20-06, 04:50 AM
:D back to the lighthouse.
wouldnt it be funny if you pass the lighthouse you'll see a lot of wrecks of U-boats that didnt saw the Lighthouse on time :rotfl:

stabiz
09-20-06, 05:18 AM
And one of them is pinned right through the lighthouse, and has U-9 painted on the conning tower. :D

HunterICX
09-20-06, 05:22 AM
And one of them is pinned right through the lighthouse, and has U-9 painted on the conning tower. :D
:stare: that must be the old IIA U-9 and swimmed to wilhelmshaven to get an VIIC....
Yep...I let bernard plot the course for 1 time...

stabiz
09-20-06, 05:41 AM
:rotfl:Hunter, we can be like the competing news crews in The Anchorman, and throw obsceneties (I know that is wrong) at each other when we meet in port.

HunterICX
09-20-06, 06:04 AM
:D well make sure Bernard isnt steering the Uboat Stabiz...or else we colide for sure...and that would be something unheard of, 2 U-boats colided against eachother. and in those times they hadnt invented Airbags yet....

stabiz
09-20-06, 06:46 AM
I suck up to Dönitz all the time, so YOU would be in trouble. :D

Torvald Von Mansee
09-21-06, 03:40 PM
WELL, I changed my land proximity setting to x256 for TC and just swooped through the canal!!! I think I'm going to enjoy my Flot. 1 campaign!! :up:

Hybris
09-21-06, 06:56 PM
I like the canal but I think some should release a stright line canal that had no ports (Invisible Lighthouses inculded) at is wide enough that you can go at whatever top time compression you have set for your game at flank speed and deep enough that if you do put traffic in the canal you can go under (I suggest 25 to 50m deep)