PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Program

Sebbe
09-18-06, 01:16 PM
Hey,
how do you guys (re)model all those nice ships? What program do you have to use? I would like to do it too...:smug:

chris911
09-18-06, 01:18 PM
Wings 3d See other treads where it is explained how it works...

Sebbe
09-18-06, 01:35 PM
i found a program named Blender. is that any good?

chris911
09-18-06, 01:49 PM
Dont know we all use Wings3d afaik.

Sebbe
09-18-06, 04:43 PM
found Wings, and looks really good. How do you start modeling? Do you have to clone it first (I downloaded Sansal's Pack3D)? What next?

I know, I'm very noobish...:smug:

SquareSteelBar
09-18-06, 04:48 PM
...What next? Export all:know:

Sebbe
09-19-06, 03:24 AM
Is there anything supposed to happen? I press the button and nothing happens...

But I think I managed to create a nice clone of the Hunt 1. How do you view those files with Wings3D? And can you just import Wingsfiles like that into the folder?

MLF
09-19-06, 06:31 AM

But I think I managed to create a nice clone of the Hunt 1. How do you view those files with Wings3D? And can you just import Wingsfiles like that into the folder?

I suggest you look at these threads for instructions on how to use Wings3D

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopi...=43777&start=0 (http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43777&start=0)
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopi...=42918&start=0

MLF

DivingDuck
09-19-06, 06:38 AM
Moin,

So you managed to clone a unit. Thatīs the first important step to make.

Pressing [EXPORT ALL] creates a new subfolder named 3d. It contains all *.obj and *.tga files that are included in the *.dat. You may import these *.obj files into your 3d modelling program (as Wings3D, Maya, 3dsmax) and modify them. Some programs need a plugin to import *.obj. See your corresponding readme or help file. After youīve finished your modification export to *.obj and import the newly modified *.obj into the *.dat using Pack3D.

Pressing [CLONE] has no visible effect. It assigns unique idīs to all parts of the vessel you created by cloning it by hand. This is to prevent the computer from crashing when two different units use the same id ingame.

Itīs not possible to import Wingsfiles or other 3d modelling programm related file formats. The *.obj file format is mandatory.

Regards,
DivingDuck

Sebbe
09-19-06, 09:03 AM
thanks a lot, diving duck! I got it.

Now I altered the first obj. file (gave her a new keel), and have opened the dat file with Pack. I open my boat's file, and then import my new obj.file (I just press the button, nothing seems to change...). But when I start my alternative Happy Times mission (with my new boat), it hasn't changed! What did I do wrong?

PS: Can you change textures too? And will my new boat appear in the campaign?

DivingDuck
09-19-06, 10:20 AM
Moin,
thanks a lot, diving duck! I got it.

Now I altered the first obj. file (gave her a new keel), and have opened the dat file with Pack. I open my boat's file, and then import my new obj.file (I just press the button, nothing seems to change...). But when I start my alternative Happy Times mission (with my new boat), it hasn't changed! What did I do wrong?

PS: Can you change textures too? And will my new boat appear in the campaign?
After pressing the import button you should see a message in the Pack3D status bar that says *.obj imported. If so, youīve imported the corresponding part successfully. Keep in mind that the *.dat contains every object 3 times, the object itself, the SHD_*.obj and the REFLECT_*.obj. Make sure youīve imported your altered object file into all 3 nodes.

Whether your ship shows up ingame or not depends on the unitīs type. If you e.g. clone a merchant vessel (unit type=104) every time a type 104 is called ingame your ship might show up. Since there are others sharing the same type number it hasnīt to be yours all the time. I donīt know the Huntīs unit number. But, depending on, to which countryīs roster youīve put the config file to, the vessel will shop up when called for ingame. To test whether your vessel is working or not I recommend to create a new (test)mission and to give this mission a full load of your vessel. ;)

Yes, you can change textures too. But be aware. Texture mapping is more time consuming than anything else about these projects.

Regards,
DivingDuck

PS: My English isnīt the best. So if you donīt understand something, feel free to ask. My German is better, though.

Sebbe
09-19-06, 12:12 PM
:shifty: Unfortunatly it says: "This object cannot be imported"

how can this be?

iambecomelife
09-19-06, 08:09 PM
:shifty: Unfortunatly it says: "This object cannot be imported"

how can this be?

I have found that I can't import the obj files right after cloning a ship. Here's what I do:

1. Clone ship
2. Click the "Get Dat" button
3. Reopen the DAT file I just cloned
4. Then (and only then) try and import the obj files.

Also, sometimes it won't work if you have the obj file you are trying to import with Pack3d open in Wings3d at the same time.