PDA

View Full Version : Sailing Kiel canal

Finnbat
09-15-06, 04:58 AM
With my IID boat I like to take shorter run to save fuel.

Sailing Kiel to west goes much less than coming back towards east.
The time compression drops to 16 for some reason differently depending the direction you sailing the canal.

I try to link my route very carefully and avoid that 16 dropping, but do others have any hints around this issue.

Today I use the routine that sailing around Denmark when going out, but coming back thru canal route.

mr chris
09-15-06, 05:53 AM
Finnbat if you use SH3 Commander you can set the TC when you are close to land higher if you wish so you can travel the canal at a faster speed should you so wish.
Here is a link to learn more about SH3 Commander.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=95448
Hope this helps:up:

HunterICX
09-15-06, 05:58 AM
I did the kiel canal once...didnt use SH3cmdr...so the whole bloody time TC on 4....it took me 2 hours for real to get out of that:x the next thing I did was transfering myself to the 2nd Flotilla Wilhelmshaven...

mr chris
09-15-06, 06:04 AM
I did the kiel canal once...didnt use SH3cmdr...so the whole bloody time TC on 4....it took me 2 hours for real to get out of that:x the next thing I did was transfering myself to the 2nd Flotilla Wilhelmshaven...
I remember thinking just that when i started by current campagin do i want to spend ages using the canal? Or just start in the 2nd Flotilla? I chose i latter and then after about 4 patrols i found SH3 Commander!:rotfl:

Finnbat
09-15-06, 07:53 AM
So far I did use SH3 Commander, but with the model II boat it prevent torpedo reloadings. So this campaign cant use it.

I come to a idea that tweak .cfg file by myself to higher setting.

SubSerpent
09-15-06, 09:07 PM
I wonder if GWX is going to implement the 'kiel canal' auto waypoint system like the NYGM mod has?

JScones
09-16-06, 12:21 AM
So far I did use SH3 Commander, but with the model II boat it prevent torpedo reloadings. So this campaign cant use it.

I come to a idea that tweak .cfg file by myself to higher setting.
No, that's not SH3Cmdr preventing the type II torpedo reloads, it's a typo in Basic.cfg installed with the GW 24 hour fatigue option.

There's a fix for it on this forum. Check out... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=95549

BTW, my Near Land TC setting is x512 - I have no probs going through the Canal at between x128 and x256 TC.

Warmonger
09-16-06, 01:47 AM
I always take the Denmark Strait no matter what. Quite often I expended my torps there already on Polish or Norwegian loners. They are pretty abundand there.

Jimbuna
09-16-06, 06:52 AM
I wonder if GWX is going to implement the 'kiel canal' auto waypoint system like the NYGM mod has?

Now that would be very handy..excellent suggestion SubSerpent :up:

SubSerpent
09-16-06, 09:52 AM

Now that would be very handy..excellent suggestion SubSerpent :up:

Thanks, I try!

I hope a GW developer sees it and adds it into the next installment of GWX. That would rock! :rock:

I get tired of always having to add a million waypoints just to get through the bloody canal when it's just easier to go the long way around with less than a quarter of the waypoints needed for the Kiel Canal. A good navigator back in the day would have known how to plot a course for getting through the canal without the Captain having to do it himself. This is why I think GWX should include it. It would simulate telling the Navigator to plot a course for the canal and to begin following it.

bigboywooly
09-16-06, 10:13 AM
Duly noted :rotfl: