PDA

View Full Version : Grey Wolves optional installs

RedMenace
09-13-06, 09:53 PM
What do all of the optional updates in the latest TGW do? Some of them arnt very well described and I'm not sure what they're for. Can someone tell me what each one does and why/why wouldn't I want it?

Thanks in advance.:up:

kylania
09-13-06, 10:32 PM
Can you list 'em so i don't have to find my install again? :)

RedMenace
09-13-06, 10:46 PM
Sure, buddy:

-Das Boot Background Movie

-Enchaned sea floor textures

-Atmosphrere 8km Dark OR

-Atmosphere 16km light OR

-Atmosphere 16km dark

-Generic ship contact names

-24 hour fatigue model

-Remove friendly mines

-No torpedo TDC tracking

-Remove swastikas

-------------

Mostly, I'm wondering about the No torpedo TDC tracking, teh 24 hour fatiuge model, the generic ship contact names, and the whole atmosphere thing. I got no idea what those are about.:oops:

kylania
09-13-06, 11:01 PM
Sure, buddy:

-Das Boot Background Movie - Wonderful little clips of the films that play during the main menu in the periscope area. You want this. :)

-Enchaned sea floor textures - MASSIVE lag inducer that as far as I could tell didn't add a lot, than again I never really looked at the sea floor.

-Atmosphrere 8km Dark OR - 8km visual range for DARKER monitors (CRTs I think)

-Atmosphere 16km light OR - 16km visual range for LIGHTER monitors (LCDs I think)

-Atmosphere 16km dark - 16km visual range for DARKER monitors (CRTs I think)

-Generic ship contact names - Makes all contacts grey, so you need to visually identify them. No more blue = friendly, green = neutral, red = enemy. Edit: Actually, this might be the radio reports ship name is "Ship" or "-" rather than "Warship" or "Type 34 Destroyer" or "Merchant". I think the grey contact thing is hardcoded, but there is a 'fix' for it.

-24 hour fatigue model - Crew fatigue works on a 24 hour schedule rather than 8 hours. Not really sure how this works, hopefully a GW dev can explain.

-Remove friendly mines - I believe this removed minefields from friendly bases so you don't need to worry about hitting them.

-No torpedo TDC tracking - Don't see your torps on the F6 TDC screen as they move.

-Remove swastikas - Remove the swastikas from German flags replacing them with nothing. So a German Merchant looks like an inverse Japanese flag.

-------------

Mostly, I'm wondering about the No torpedo TDC tracking, teh 24 hour fatiuge model, the generic ship contact names, and the whole atmosphere thing. I got no idea what those are about.:oops:
See the orange sections above. :)

Monza
09-13-06, 11:10 PM
Thanks heaps for those answers, although still don't quite get the 'atmosphere' ones...:hmm:

RedMenace
09-13-06, 11:23 PM
So, other than the Das Boot clips (definetly getting that one, love the movie :D), what else do you think I should get? Right now I was thinking that other than the das boot one, I should leave everything unchecked, what do you think?:hmm:

kylania
09-13-06, 11:33 PM
The optional ones I use are Das Boot Background Movie, Atmosphere 16km light, Generic ship contact names, 24 hour fatigue model and No torpedo TDC tracking.

I also have SH3 Commander, Fubar's U-997 VII skin loaded, Fubar's Harbor Personnel and Mapped Convoy Routes mods. Oh, and DD's Cutter model and Bunkerrat's Ships but those I manually installed. Rest is through JSGME. I also use SH3Gen with my main career there.

On my NYGM install I have NYGM 2.01, Periscope and Visual fixes, Military Marches, 1500m bearing overlay, Alternate Dial Faces, Harbor Traffic, Minefield JPGs, Single Merchant Contact, Enhanced Nav Map Plotting Tools, Fubar's Plain UBoat skin pack and Mapped Convoy Routes. Most of those mods are optional ones from NYGM's install. Also replaced the picture of Dönitz and replaced it with a pin-up (Tikigod's #11). I also use SH3 Commander and SH3 Weather and SH3 Patrol.

kylania
09-13-06, 11:34 PM
Thanks heaps for those answers, although still don't quite get the 'atmosphere' ones...:hmm:

Using one of the 16k ones means your watch crew will be able to see out to 16km instead of 6km or whatever the default is. Use DARK or LIGHT depending on your monitor. If your monitor is really bright such as a LCD you'll want to use the LIGHT one I believe.

Monza
09-13-06, 11:48 PM
Using one of the 16k ones means your watch crew will be able to see out to 16km instead of 6km or whatever the default is. Use DARK or LIGHT depending on your monitor. If your monitor is really bright such as a LCD you'll want to use the LIGHT one I believe.

Great, that clears it up. Wasn't sure what the default value was so wasn't sure if making it harder or easier for myself. If I want to change options do I just install GW again over the top?

kylania
09-13-06, 11:50 PM
Yeah, when I changed my options I just deactivated GW through JSGME. Blew away the GW folder, reinstalled (for JSGME) then activated it again. I seem to remember someone saying you can just reinstall GW if you didn't use JSGME though, don't have to uninstall SH3 at all.

P_Funk
09-14-06, 01:21 AM
Yeah, when I changed my options I just deactivated GW through JSGME. Blew away the GW folder, reinstalled (for JSGME) then activated it again. I seem to remember someone saying you can just reinstall GW if you didn't use JSGME though, don't have to uninstall SH3 at all.
I've read a few times that as long as you roll back all non GW mods you can just install over the original GW mod to change settings. Though this only works for enabling new functions or overlapping existing ones with different ones (like atmousphere to dark over light) and wont disable options selected previously that you wish to disable.

JScones
09-15-06, 10:54 PM
Sure, buddy:

-Generic ship contact names - Makes all contacts grey, so you need to visually identify them. No more blue = friendly, green = neutral, red = enemy. Edit: Actually, this might be the radio reports ship name is "Ship" or "-" rather than "Warship" or "Type 34 Destroyer" or "Merchant". I think the grey contact thing is hardcoded, but there is a 'fix' for it.

-------------

See the orange sections above. :)
Just to clarify, the "Generic ship contact names" option simply replaces the ship names with the word "Contact". The all grey contacts on the nav map is a feature installed by default in GW1.1a.

JScones
09-15-06, 10:58 PM
I've read a few times that as long as you roll back all non GW mods you can just install over the original GW mod to change settings. Though this only works for enabling new functions or overlapping existing ones with different ones (like atmousphere to dark over light) and wont disable options selected previously that you wish to disable.
If you use the auto-installer, you can re-run it at anytime to enable or disable any of the options. The ONLY exclusion to this is the enhanced sea floor textures: once they are installed, they can only be removed manually. But every other option can be removed simply by keeping the option unselected.