PDA

View Full Version : Question about weather.

Hylander_1314
09-12-06, 09:37 AM
Having been on boats since the age of 2, yeah Dad was Navy. and with 40 years under my belt on the Great Lakes, and the Atlantic, some of the worst fog happenned when there was no wind. It seems that the only time we get foggy conditions is when there's a storm, with high waves and winds. I've seen fog in absolute calm, with no waves that was so thick, you could see the swirls if you waved your hand through it. And I'm wondering if it is possible to modify the weather in the game to reflect these conditions, since what is refferred to as fog in the game is more like the "haize" you get from moderate to heavy rain, which does interfere with distance vision, but fog wouldn't last long at the high wind speeds prevelent, unless it's a hurricane (hugh squall) of course.

If this has been brought up before, I do apologise.

But it would be nice to see nothing but a silohuete of the bridge crew in true foggy conditions, and the frustration of knowing there are ships nearby, that you can do nothing about.

kylania
09-12-06, 10:43 AM
I think the "fog" in SH3 isn't really fog, but more of a "low visibility" thing. As in "the conditions are so bad, this is as far as you can see".

Hylander_1314
09-12-06, 03:07 PM
Yes that's exactly what it is. Mist from the rain, but not true fog persay. That's what I'm wondering about as far as being able to add it into the game to give just one more variable to the frustration of sinking enemy ships. As that stuff can last for days on end, with no trade winds blowing. But is useful if you can stay on the edge of it, and attack a convoy, then duck back into it again, which lets you change course, to foil the DD's. As it would affect how the surface radar works. Atmospherics can play @$%# on the old electronics of the time.

Redwine
09-12-06, 03:51 PM
Your observation is correct, :up: normally fog is present with no wind, or as much 1 to 3 knots, cause by condensation of humidity by a saturated mass of air, when the temperature and the dew point are near to similar or the same, and it is off when the sun rise, and has no too much height.

You can have a very clear and springy day over it at may be 200/500 feet above land, except if you have stratus in contact with land, then its height is much more.

The SH3 "fog" is more... a reduced visibility caused by dense rain.

Sadly it is what we have, and what we must to enjoy.... may be in SH5 :p

P_Funk
09-12-06, 07:18 PM
Remember how the SH4 devs saiud in the interview that they had to re write alot of the engine coding because of changes they have made. Even though its the same engine its possible that the weather will be different and more realistic. But it won't be seen in Atlantic conditions so it might be a moot point until the the devs revisit the Atlantic.

von Zelda
09-12-06, 07:47 PM
The SH3 "fog" is more... a reduced visibility caused by dense rain.:p
That's exactly why I modified the word "fog" to say "visibility" when you ask for the weather. Go to data/menu/en_menu.txt and change fog to visibility in line 4128.

Then, revise the modifiers as follows: 4100=Unlimited, 4101=Moderate, 4102=Reduce and 4103=Extemely Low (or any description you like).

To me, this makes more sense than fog being none, light, medium or heavy when you you ask for the weather. Just my opinion.

Hylander_1314
09-12-06, 08:02 PM
Cool,

Thanks for the responces!:up:

I was just curious about that, and if it was something that could be modded, or if it was hardcoded in the gamefiles.

von Zelda,

Danke, danke! I like your solution, it makes more sense, then having it say fog, etc, etc, etc.

Almost forgot, there are times where there does seem to be a haizy mist on calm clear days, and the if you ask for a weather report, it will say fog is light. What I was wondering about, is if there would be a way to adjust the settings to have random values other than clear or light fog conditions on calm days.

Thanks again all!