PDA

View Full Version : GW Opening Screen Music

scrapser
09-10-06, 09:54 PM
Can someone tell me what the music is that plays once Grey Wolves is loaded?

Thanks

scrapser

Captain Nemo
09-11-06, 06:43 AM

Thanks

scrapser

See http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=96571&highlight=music

Nemo

scrapser
09-11-06, 07:03 AM

Thanks

scrapser

See http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=96571&highlight=music

Nemo

That thread doesn't answer the question either.

What is the name and artist (composer) of the music? Is it Wagner's "The Ring"? I'd reall like to know so I can buy the full work.

Thanks

scrapser

poor sailor
09-11-06, 07:24 AM
"Escape from Mantua" from the movie "Romeo and Juliet" composed by Craig Armstrong

scrapser
09-11-06, 02:57 PM
I just checked the listen files on Amazon for the CD and that title sounds nothing like the music in Grey Wolves. Are you sure this is the track?

Thanks

scrapser

poor sailor
09-11-06, 03:21 PM
I just checked the listen files on Amazon for the CD and that title sounds nothing like the music in Grey Wolves. Are you sure this is the track?

Thanks

scrapser
Information about this music title I was founded in TGW readme and I don't know nothing else about that.:hmm:

scrapser
09-11-06, 06:33 PM
Thanks...I just dug down and found the same document. I guess the clip provided on Amazon is another segment from the track (sounds like disco music...really!).

scrapser

Pablo
09-11-06, 08:10 PM

Thanks

scrapserHi!

The music is "Escape," composed for the movie soundtrack "Plunkett and Macleane" by Craig Armstrong. You can find it on a CD of Armstrong's collected movie soundtracks at Amazon.com, here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B8J0ES/qid=1137092052/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-7465403-3512714?n=507846&s=music&v=glance

Pablo

scrapser
09-12-06, 11:14 AM

Thanks

scrapserHi!

The music is "Escape," composed for the movie soundtrack "Plunkett and Macleane" by Craig Armstrong. You can find it on a CD of Armstrong's collected movie soundtracks at Amazon.com, here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B8J0ES/qid=1137092052/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-7465403-3512714?n=507846&s=music&v=glance

Pablo

Bingo! Thanks to everyone for the help.

scrapser

Safe-Keeper
09-12-06, 11:53 AM
And good music it is, too. Very atmospheric.

What surprised me was the Suicide Run theme from Call of Duty being used in the Death Screen. I never saw that coming.

oRGy
09-13-06, 12:11 PM
I'd point out that unless the GW team have express permission from the copyright holders of those music pieces, it is illegal to distribute them with the GW mod.

Kpt. Lehmann
09-13-06, 02:31 PM
I'd point out that unless the GW team have express permission from the copyright holders of those music pieces, it is illegal to distribute them with the GW mod.

Kind of like the Das Boot sound elements in your mod right? (Improved U-boat 1.2) ... or the ones in NYGM.. or any other mod that uses Das Boot imagery. Many of the big modders here have pushed right into the "grey area" including yourself.

Your versions of IUb also use a Das Boot periscope movie sequence by W_Clear. (That I had the pleasure of working on with him more than a year ago...)

Were you granted legal permission to use Das Boot footage? ...Or were you doing it for the love of the game for no profit like the rest of us.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

kylania
09-13-06, 02:38 PM

It's not being used to commercial purposes, and in fact judging by this thread it's inclusion has actually sold more copies of CD than had it not been featured. :) Free advertising!

GT182
09-13-06, 03:52 PM
No matter if it's in a free mod or one for profit, it's illegal to use unless you have been granted permission by the original artist, or whomever hold the copywrite. Why do what we're all against. It only adds fuel to the fire of the copywrite issues that have been ongoing.

Kpt. Lehmann
09-13-06, 03:57 PM

Kind of like the Das Boot sound elements in your mod right? (Improved U-boat 1.2) ... or the ones in NYGM.. or any other mod that uses Das Boot imagery. Many of the big modders here have pushed right into the "grey area" including yourself.

Your versions of IUb also use a Das Boot periscope movie sequence by W_Clear. (That I had the pleasure of working on with him more than a year ago...)

Were you granted legal permission to use Das Boot footage? ...Or were you doing it for the love of the game for no profit like the rest of us.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

To oRgy and all concerned...

Strictly speaking, you may be correct. However, using tracks and video segments in mods is pretty common practice (for example, you use tracks and video from Das Boot in your Iub 1.2). Also, GW and GWX are not a commercial enterprises, so we are not selling the tracks any more than they are sold through the radio. If the copyright owner objects, we would gladly remove the tracks.

In the meantime we are more than happy to ensure that proper crediting and reference to the full original works is given... so that users may be able to find and buy more than the little teasers they get from us.

What we have done in the end is nothing more than give these guys free advertising, and helped sell their product.

Dowly
09-13-06, 04:24 PM
Ok, these are my personal opinions, nothing to do with the rest of the dev team.

If IŽd make a list of all the mods that use something copyrighted, the list would circle the earth 50 times. Of course, you are right that we, and you and some other modders here have broken the copyright law. But think about it. Almost everything in commercial games, movies and music records have been copyrighted. Most of the soundpacks made for SHIII are breaking the law, what about the gramophone packs?

The copyright owners have much bigger things to worry about than a one of their tracks used in a freeware mod; piracy.

oRGy
09-13-06, 06:26 PM
I don't maintain IuB anymore but there was no music or video from Das Boot used, just a few short sound samples (from other mods, I didn't sample them myself). This would probably fall into the "fair-use" category. Some old 1920's gramophone music was there too, most of which would be public domain by now. I believe the video was added by the maintainer of 1.03, nothing to do with me. I was also going to make a "copyright-free" version of the mod for inclusion on magazine CD covers and so on but never got around to it.

In this case the music tracks are added gratuituously in their entirety and are done so entirely knowingly. It is risky to have that sort of music as part of any mod, so my advice would be to remove it and replace it with original or non-copyrighted music. The music industry has a notorious record for prosecuting even minor cases, which is why I bring this up.

Dowly
09-13-06, 07:32 PM
But can you give me one example where mod has been sued for having copyrighted music on it? The loss to copyright owner is so minor, that it is not worth the money nor time to sue a mod. Even Youtube has videos taken from movies and the site is still standing and the videos are there. There is of course always a chance that the copyright owner of the music/movie clip plays the mod and takes action. But I find the chance to be almost as low as winning in lottery.

Pants
09-13-06, 07:41 PM
Dont want to listen to so called " copyrighted " music / sound bites simple
A) Download the mod and remove the sounds
B) Dont Download the mod
C) Download the mod and play with no speakers / headphones plugged in

Boris
09-14-06, 02:03 AM
The very worst thing that can happen is that... if in the very unlikely event that the copyright holders find the mod and actually care about enforcing it in such a fickle thing... then they will ask us to remove it. No big deal.

We are certainly not using their material for profit, we acknowledge it's use, and if anything it's publicity and is to everyone's advantage.

The fact is that GW is better with this material than without it, and it hurts no one.

stabiz
09-14-06, 04:06 AM
I dont have any music in GW. Strange, maybe my cpu is censoring.

kylania
09-14-06, 02:15 PM
I dont have any music in GW. Strange, maybe my cpu is censoring.

The music during the main menu and u-boat office screens. I do like no music while at sea though. Hard to hear where that destroyer is otherwise! :)

kapitanfred
09-14-06, 08:58 PM
Not this copyright issue AGAIN!!!!!! If people are so damned worried about it, then I suggest DON'T use mods, DON'T change ANY aspect of the stock game and DON'T bother buying ANY type of game 'cos as sure as hell there will be some element of copyright issues involved. If you listen to a sound track on your computer via the web, isn't that a breach of copyright seeing that it wasn't purchased?????

As far as I'm concerned, nothing is breached as no profit is gained from it. Perhaps start looking at mods that you do have to pay for Hmmmm!!! :nope:

This is my opinion to it all. :down:

scrapser
10-28-06, 02:06 PM
Just a little update here. I purchased the soundtrack to the movie "plunkett & macleane" and recieved it yesterday. The opening music used in GW is the title "Hanging" on the CD. I love this music and thought it was part of some classical opus but it isn't.

Anyway, it's an excellent choice to the mod's movie played in the beginning.

scrapser

Safe-Keeper
10-28-06, 02:13 PM
What we have done in the end is nothing more than give these guys free advertising, and helped sell their product.With all due respect, why would we buy their product when we get it for free with your mod?

I dont have any music in GW. Strange, maybe my cpu is censoring.Latest trick from the music industry:rotfl:.

If you've watched my NorOps trailer, you've gotten a hint at my policy ("music sampled from [...] Oblivion, legally owned by the maker of the movie"): Using retail music, movie scenes and so on is fine as long as you've paid for them. If you illegally download an MP3 and use it in your work, then that's wrong in my eyes. If you legally buy it, fine by me.

Sounds fair to me: You use their product, they're paid for it.