PDA

View Full Version : A Thought

SeaQueen
09-09-06, 09:36 AM
A DW LAN party? It'd be easy to come up with a scenario that would last all night (statistically) and it might actually be quite realistic.

goldorak
09-09-06, 10:10 AM
If you're thinking about cooperative multiplayer missions with 6-10 people, we had those matches months ago on cadc and it was a real blast.
After Furia, nobody else stood up to the challenge of developping cooperative multiplayer missions.

SeaQueen
09-09-06, 11:17 AM
If you're thinking about cooperative multiplayer missions with 6-10 people, we had those matches months ago on cadc and it was a real blast.
After Furia, nobody else stood up to the challenge of developping cooperative multiplayer missions.

Cooperative or not isn't what's important to me. I was just thinking the game had good potential for chips-and-dip while geeking and was wondering if anyone had tried it?

JgzMan
09-09-06, 01:18 PM
I would LOVE to do somthing like that, although I would prefer several faster missions. Say, four two-hour missions rather than an eight-hour mission.

Molon Labe
09-09-06, 02:15 PM
A DW LAN party? It'd be easy to come up with a scenario that would last all night (statistically) and it might actually be quite realistic.

Sounds interesting

SeaQueen
09-09-06, 02:19 PM
I would LOVE to do somthing like that, although I would prefer several faster missions. Say, four two-hour missions rather than an eight-hour mission.

How come? The thing that I think would be cool would be the whole planning process. You get together with a bunch of friends and figure out what you're going to do, then do it. The nice thing about DW and LAN parties is that since the action typically unfolds slowly, you can be a little more social than something like say... Americas Army, where you've got to be COMPLETELY focused on the game at all times. DW... I go... get a soda... get some chips... chit chat a bit... probably nothing's going to happen.

Maybe put people in different vessels in different rooms?

goldorak
09-09-06, 03:19 PM
Whats the problem with having players over the internet, maybe even doing multistation ?
If you only want to do a local lan party you'll loose a lot of potential players.:shifty:

JgzMan
09-09-06, 03:36 PM
My problem with an eight-hour mission is skill, and attention span.

If I were better at the gaem, an eight hour mission would be fun.

If I had a longer attention span, an eight hour mission would not be intolorable.

But together, it's a no-go.

Also, I think seprate rooms for seprate vesels would be cool. Plus a common room for chips and meetings.

Bellman
09-09-06, 03:56 PM
Yep thats a party I'd like to join but my leads are a bit short. :huh:

You could run it on the internet with 'mother ships' maintaining comms - there would be inevitable dropping wasteage but the initial allocation
of team members could attempt to allow for this. 3-4 hours is the best I've done.

Sorry they're just playing 'Land of hope and glory' at the last night of the Proms - always fires me up............................................a bit !

Molon Labe
09-09-06, 04:07 PM
Yep thats a party I'd like to join but my leads are a bit short. :huh:

You could run it on the internet with 'mother ships' maintaining comms - there would be inevitable dropping wasteage but the initial allocation
of team members could attempt to allow for this. 3-4 hours is the best I've done.

Sorry they're just playing 'Land of hope and glory' at the last night of the Proms - always fires me up............................................a bit !

I think I played in an online Empire Earth match that ran over 6 hours. That was a killer!

SeaQueen
09-09-06, 04:34 PM
If you only want to do a local lan party you'll loose a lot of potential players.:shifty:

I love you guys, but uhm... the internet is a rotten substitute for actual real ilfe interaction with human beings.

SeaQueen
09-09-06, 04:47 PM
My problem with an eight-hour mission is skill, and attention span.

If I were better at the gaem, an eight hour mission would be fun.

I don't think lack of skill is really an issue. Given the time span, and the presense of other people, a party like that would probably be probably fairly cooperative.

If I had a longer attention span, an eight hour mission would not be intolorable.

But together, it's a no-go.

This worries me because people do have to pay SOME attention to what's going on and I'm worried that if it takes too long for things to happen, that I'll lose people.

goldorak
09-09-06, 05:03 PM
I love you guys, but uhm... the internet is a rotten substitute for actual real ilfe interaction with human beings.

Ok, you're paying me the air ticket to come to Washington Dc to your lan party ? :rotfl:

Bellman
09-09-06, 05:09 PM
G :rotfl:...but my leads are longer than youres ! :rotfl:

SeaQueen
09-09-06, 05:36 PM
Ok, you're paying me the air ticket to come to Washington Dc to your lan party ? :rotfl:

Uh no.

I was more thinking about how to actually make a DW LAN party work with people I know in the area.

Sea Demon
09-09-06, 06:21 PM
Uh no.

I was more thinking about how to actually make a DW LAN party work with people I know in the area.
If I'm ever in the area, I'll bring my rig and you can let me know where to report. :up:

Are you saying that we would be able to search and conduct real time naval ops on a map large enough, and a situation robust enough, where firing of weapons would occur hours after we begin? Where we get to become totally involved in all phases of detection, tracking, and building a fire control solution? Sounds great.

SeaQueen
09-09-06, 08:19 PM
If I'm ever in the area, I'll bring my rig and you can let me know where to report. :up:

Are you saying that we would be able to search and conduct real time naval ops on a map large enough, and a situation robust enough, where firing of weapons would occur hours after we begin?

I was unaware there was any other way to play the game. :know:

But yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's NOT THAT HARD. To me, the scenarios that are contrived are the ones where people start shooting within a few minutes.

Bellman
09-10-06, 01:32 AM
SQ: With alluring siren sounds drifting over the water I have insisted that the crew fill their ears with wax and lash me to the mast. :D...............But good luck - it sounds a great idea.

Kapitan
09-10-06, 04:28 PM
Co-op and team missions are great in DW also multi station games are intresting however you take a big chance on multi station incase your partner drops.

Hawk66
09-14-06, 01:18 PM
Alternative: Perhaps a weekly, fix time, for a wan party :sunny: and who likes and has time just joins?

But there is one problem, called time difference... :hmm:

goldorak
09-14-06, 02:06 PM
Alternative: Perhaps a weekly, fix time, for a wan party :sunny: and who likes and has time just joins?

But there is one problem, called time difference... :hmm:

Time difference is no problem at all, we already had wan cooperative multiplayer missions on cadc.
Once per week, friday or saturday at 20 or 21 GMT
Mostly european and american players participated.
We just need a good multiplayer scenario that can be carried out in max 3-4 hours.