PDA

View Full Version : Wolves at War now supports NYGM & Grey Wolves

iblitz
09-06-06, 08:18 PM
The Wolves at War Campaign now supports NYGM & Grey Wolves mods. You can use either mod or both with the campaign. With the upcoming release of the new version of NYGM and GW.... WaW will offer almost all historical flottille featured in the campaign. No politics here boys, just sinking tommies and enjoying the experience of Esprit de Corps and SH3 - NYGM & GW :up:

www. wolvesatwar.org (http://www.wolvesatwar.org)

kylania
09-06-06, 08:21 PM
Oh yay!!!

The Noob
09-06-06, 08:23 PM
What? Both Mods on one Installation, or do i get this wrong? :doh:

iblitz
09-06-06, 08:25 PM
What? Both Mods on one Installation, or do i get this wrong? :doh:

With the campaign yes.. meaning you can have a dual install of SH3 with both mods in place if you want, or just one to use with the campain......

Cdre Gibs
09-06-06, 08:35 PM
Umm, not being familar with WAW(?), can I ask you this question. Why the change of heart about GW. Not that I mind at all, in fact I'm just surprised, since we (GW) have always been called the "Eye Candy Mod" (which is not entirly true). I'd like to hear the reasons for the change of WAW policy.

Thx.

iblitz
09-06-06, 08:40 PM
Umm, not being familar with WAW(?), can I ask you this question. Why the change of heart about GW. Not that I mind at all, in fact I'm just surprised, since we (GW) have always been called the "Eye Candy Mod" (which is not entirly true). I'd like to hear the reasons for the change of WAW policy.

Thx.
During WaW I (The First Campaign) we had an open policy of mods, but during WaW II we decided to rain those in and have a narrow focus working with the NYGM team (which has been great). I have both mods on my hard drive and I feel that by not allowing one we alienate a lot of people.

There has been debate over which mod is realistic, etc.... and I'm not going to get into that, however there is one underlying theme with WaW no matter what mod you use. The experience and the experience is what you make it. I know there is always a possiblity that some will use the external camera in combat or not use a certain mod or will use etc... but in the end it is what the WaW kaleun makes his experience here not what is dictated to him/her from WaW staff. Bear in mind there are some limits of control we have here, but in the end it is what you make it. And it is based on this that we are opening it up to NYGM and Grey Wolves.

We strive for realism, and I believe we can have that with both mods and the current policies (as much as we can) etc.... in place.

Kpt. Lehmann
09-06-06, 08:46 PM

Thx.
During WaW I (The First Campaign) we had an open policy of mods, but during WaW II we decided to rain those in and have a narrow focus working with the NYGM team (which has been great). I have both mods on my hard drive and I feel that by not allowing one we alienate a lot of people.

There has been debate over which mod is realistic, etc.... and I'm not going to get into that, however there is one underlying theme with WaW no matter what mod you use. The experience and the experience is what you make it. I know there is always a possiblity that some will use the external camera in combat or not use a certain mod or will use etc... but in the end it is what the WaW kaleun makes his experience here not what is dictated to him/her from WaW staff. Bear in mind there are some limits of control we have here, but in the end it is what you make it. And it is based on this that we are opening it up to NYGM and Grey Wolves.

We strive for realism, and I believe we can have that with both mods and the current policies (as much as we can) etc.... in place.

Thank you for your equal consideration Iblitz.

The Grey Wolves Salute You! :up: :up: :up:

Cdre Gibs
09-06-06, 10:35 PM
Thx for the reply iblitz.
Hmmm, as I dont even know what WaW is and how its setup pls forgive my ignorence about how it all works. I'm under the impression this is somehow done online in some sort of wolf pack thing, or do I have this wrong and its all single player only type setup where its at the players own discretion about the integrity of his/her install/played game.

The reason I ask is that there has been a few issues about online play. GW1.1a will work online, but certain things must be addheared to for it all to work. No different than say a NYGM online game. Some of these issues have been sorted out in the multiplayer forum under the GW Sticky thread there in, regarding online issues and possible cause/fix. I'd recommend that you cast an eye over this thread so as to be better informed and therefore be able to help any of your members who may run into any drama's. Also feel free to ask me anything about any GW online issues that may not be clear or may need addressing in any future GW releases.

Gizzmoe
09-06-06, 10:39 PM
Hmmm, as I dont even know what WaW is and how its setup pls forgive my ignorence about how it all works.

http://www.wolvesatwar.org/about.htm

Cdre Gibs
09-06-06, 10:53 PM
Well that was as clear as mud, but thx anyway Gizz!

iblitz
09-06-06, 10:59 PM
Thx for the reply iblitz.
Hmmm, as I dont even know what WaW is and how its setup pls forgive my ignorence about how it all works. I'm under the impression this is somehow done online in some sort of wolf pack thing, or do I have this wrong and its all single player only type setup where its at the players own discretion about the integrity of his/her install/played game.

The reason I ask is that there has been a few issues about online play. GW1.1a will work online, but certain things must be addheared to for it all to work. No different than say a NYGM online game. Some of these issues have been sorted out in the multiplayer forum under the GW Sticky thread there in, regarding online issues and possible cause/fix. I'd recommend that you cast an eye over this thread so as to be better informed and therefore be able to help any of your members who may run into any drama's. Also feel free to ask me anything about any GW online issues that may not be clear or may need addressing in any future GW releases.

It's all done off-line. The Flottille Kommandant assigns patrol grids for the uboote of each individual flottille. They have 2 weeks which equals 3 months of war to complete their patrol They send radio communications or posts on the fourm and are answered by BdU which directs them etc... while they are at sea.

Once they are back from the patrol they fill out their ktb (database) and record their activities of the patrol. This data is used collectively to construct the war/campaign data and helps keep track of the progress of the ubootwaffe / war etc.....

Cdre Gibs
09-06-06, 11:13 PM
Ahhh, Now I get it, thx iblitz. In that case GW will certainly be a good addition to WaW with no issues at all. GWX, when released, I feel, will certainly be even better suited for your WaW members experiance.

kylania
09-06-06, 11:17 PM
I'm just psyched I can finally play WaW using my favored mod, GW. I've honestly tried using NYGM and even did dual installs but I'm just far more comfortable with GW. That said, NYGM and WaW did end up making me play GW with far more realism settings on than I'd had before, which has been a challenge, but fun!

iblitz
09-06-06, 11:44 PM
Ahhh, Now I get it, thx iblitz. In that case GW will certainly be a good addition to WaW with no issues at all. GWX, when released, I feel, will certainly be even better suited for your WaW members experiance.

Thanx.... we did some test runs on for using on-line wolfpack encounters :doh: (what a mess) :lol: we never could get our wires just right....... I'm looking forward to expanding operations to the Indian Ocean and Black Sea :up:

Kruger
09-07-06, 02:56 AM
I've wanted to join w@w for some time now...but I like Grey Wolves more than NYGM. So, you're saying that now I can plaw in w@w only with my Grey Wolves install ? No NYGM ?

VonHelsching
09-07-06, 04:33 AM
This is excellent news! And a very nice opportunity for the GWX Team Members to relax and enjoy the game. Some of us are working in GWX before May.

How many active Kaleuns participate in WoW right now?

DanCanovas
09-07-06, 05:09 AM
could anyone explain in a few words how WAW works because i couldnt make end or tail of the website, what realism settings is it played on?

Dowly
09-07-06, 05:41 AM
could anyone explain in a few words how WAW works because i couldnt make end or tail of the website, what realism settings is it played on?

Firstly you sign up, the name has to be German that you use. Then you are assigned to 5th flotille aka training. You download bunch of training missions, you report in when the training mission is complete, how many ships was sunk etc. After that you are assigned to a combat flotilla and your very first boat. You report in to your flotilla kommandant and if there is time, he assignes you a patrol grid. WaW is currently in March 1941 in game. So you must start your patrol in the first week of March. The radio messages are done via forum. Every flotilla has itīs own forum. When you start patrol, you make a new thread called 'U-YourNumber Patrol # Comms (In port/at sea/completed).

Example of radio message:

---------------------------------------------------

1100 01MAR1941 <---- TIME AND DATE

FDU <---- TO FLOTILLA KOMMANDANT

CONTACT REPORT

MULTIPLE SOUND CONTACTS ON BEARING 247. POSSIBLE CONVOY. IN PURSUIT.

BE5425 <----- GRID YOU ARE

U-27

----------------------------------------------------

The other players are very helpfull in WaW so dont worry, theyīll help you with anything they can.:up:

mr chris
09-07-06, 05:59 AM
I looked at this WaW before but it was only for NYGM. But had a look around the site and i was the same as DanCanovas. I could not make out what realisim settings it used. I would love to join up now but would like to know what realsim settings you have to use before joining as i dont play at 100% because i have not mastered how to use manual TDC.

Dowly
09-07-06, 06:10 AM
I looked at this WaW before but it was only for NYGM. But had a look around the site and i was the same as DanCanovas. I could not make out what realisim settings it used. I would love to join up now but would like to know what realsim settings you have to use before joining as i dont play at 100% because i have not mastered how to use manual TDC.

If I remember right, everything else must be on apart from the external camera and the manual targeting. :up:

mr chris
09-07-06, 06:12 AM

If I remember right, everything else must be on apart from the external camera and the manual targeting. :up:
If that is the case Dowly im in:up: Off to join up now:rock: :arrgh!:

U-snafu
09-07-06, 06:21 AM
Great news and thks iblitz:up: . can't wait for GWX with Wolves at War. I imagine you will have many new members.

VonKlausevitz
09-07-06, 09:34 AM
Hi guys!
These are the things that MUST be checked to play at WaW:
Limited Batteries
Limited Compressed Air
Limited O2
Limited Fuel
Realistic Vulnerability
Realistic Repair Times
Realistic Ship Sinking Times
Realistic Sensors
Dud Torpedoes
Realistic Reload Times

Everything else is optional, however, we encurage to play with as many option checked possible ,wich will only add reality.
We play with honor & integrity in mind ,and at the end, is up to you if you want to "cheat" and make it easyer to get more tonnage than somebody else will only hurt yourself.
IMHO, WaW is a great way to refresh your taste for sub-sim comunity, and the immersion factor is great.
Added bonus,you can still play with your favorite mod:rock:

Dowly
09-07-06, 10:10 AM
Now that WaW gets alot of new members from the both camps, it is time to remind you that dont bring your problems to WaW! Thatīs not the place for it, keep to yourselves.

VonKlausevitz
09-07-06, 10:48 AM
Now that WaW gets alot of new members from the both camps, it is time to remind you that dont bring your problems to WaW! Thatīs not the place for it, keep to yourselves.
Quote m8!!!
That is a great comunity,let's say, to quote the site admin,BDU" is...military,not political!!!"

mr chris
09-07-06, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the advice Dowly. Im just happy that i can take part using GW. I joined WaW today and done my training straight away. Am just waitting to be sent to the front. Everyone over there seems very helpfull. Am looking forward to taking the fight to the tommies with them:arrgh!:

NeonSamurai
09-07-06, 12:25 PM
I would assume we would have to use stock NGYM or GW (other then non game play affecting stuff).

I use a tweaked version myself which changes some stuff i personaly dont agree with :)

FUBAR295
09-07-06, 03:54 PM
I would assume we would have to use stock NGYM or GW (other then non game play affecting stuff).

I use a tweaked version myself which changes some stuff i personaly dont agree with :)

Your correct, you would have to use a untweaked version of NYGM or GW. You can have mods that do not effect game play.

Good Hunting,
FUBAR
aka von @ WaW

CCIP
09-07-06, 03:56 PM
A VERY fair decision I think, even if I'm personally a little biased to NYGM (as a player. I've always been a supporter of both as a modder, and if I manage to recover my 'community spirit' after a long leave in the last two months, I'll enlist in assisting both again :yep:)

Plus GW has the advantage of being a rather big team, so their work has huge prospects for expanding in many ways (GWX!) (and it's also a disadvantage - compiling their final releases seems to come far slower than NYGM with its smaller staff and narrower focus).

Anyway, I strongly invite all the GW players out there to try it out. Type IX fans - 2.Flottille in WaW is a must (yes, I'm biased, being its commander :p)

CCIP
09-07-06, 03:58 PM
As far as tweaks - depends on what you mean by tweaks.

Personally, my NYGM is also 'tweaked' - with graphics mods and a few small enchancements, like my own camera setup and control/interface adjustments. I also tend to experiment with adding various traffic bits into my campaign.

As long as it's not major tweaks that make combat significantly easier per se. No uber-torpedoes or stupid DDs please :yep:

zzsteven
09-07-06, 06:17 PM
As far as tweaks - depends on what you mean by tweaks.

Personally, my NYGM is also 'tweaked' - with graphics mods and a few small enchancements, like my own camera setup and control/interface adjustments. I also tend to experiment with adding various traffic bits into my campaign.

As long as it's not major tweaks that make combat significantly easier per se. No uber-torpedoes or stupid DDs please :yep:

Are UC-GW, Longer Repair Times mod, and Assisted Plotting mod major tweaks? My own tweaks consist of changing the torp loadout to reflect steam torps in externals, neutral ships sunk are 0 reknown, and the return to base is the major reknown earner.

zz

CCIP
09-07-06, 07:46 PM
The UC is most welcome, assisted plotting (as I understand it since I don't use it) is something that GW has and NYGM ought to have, and Longer Repairs - both future versions of GW and NYGM will have them! :)

kylania
09-07-06, 07:56 PM
Does anyone know a method of disabling the renown buy system for GW? Changing that is needed for the upgrade methods of W@W since it was using the 'no time/no renown' system of NYGM.

Lacking that, does anyone know how to manually change your current RANK and RENOWN?

Tied in with that, I need to know how, using SH3 Commander, to change the current date for the patrols so I can "catch up" with the current W@W date of Mar 1, 1941. SH3 can apparently set those options with a single mission, but not a career?

I've tried to apply the trivial renown system (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=92453&highlight=static+settings) through the static_settings.cfg file from SH3 Commander, and it did absolutely nothing. I've manged to edit my career files to change my dates, but after each patrol it reverts right back to what it should be in 1939 instead of remaining 1941.

Please help, I've been trying to get W@W working, but I just don't know enough and there's too many files I have no idea how they work to get anything to act like it seems it should. :nope:

zzsteven
09-08-06, 05:11 PM
The UC is most welcome, assisted plotting (as I understand it since I don't use it) is something that GW has and NYGM ought to have, and Longer Repairs - both future versions of GW and NYGM will have them! :)

Thank you, I'll look into WAW this weekend. :)

zz

The Munster
09-08-06, 05:31 PM
Does it have to be a German name ? What about a Norwegian one ?

@kylania.. the renown thing is why I favour NYGM over GW.. sinking ships for tonnage that equals renown is far more motivating than the GW structure.

poor sailor
09-08-06, 08:13 PM
I don't understand one thing. I always use the manual tageting system, based on assisted plotting mod. For example merge two or more dots and have a line and than I can read the course of the target...But in option I've seen in WaW, the option "No map update" must be checked, all right, but than I miss the assisted plotting mod (in manual of NYGM v.2.0 wrote that this option must be unchecked)?! Than I can't see anything on the map, only black dot which represent me. I can't see contact line and how in that case to do (manualy of course) reading of basic data of the target (course, speed, range) ? I'm think that I was clear on explanation. The assisted plotting mod is great for me, don't see contact on the map, when the target is visible on the bridge or from periscope then the circle is show on map, I mark the center of the circle, 3:15' stopwatch... in TDC menu I can't see the torpedo track when it launched and in generaly I think that already is enough real, but could be I'm wrong:hmm: And of course I use NYGM v.2.01. Any ideas about this?

NeonSamurai
09-09-06, 07:09 AM
As for what ive tweeked, well its quite extensive, but none of it exactly throws off game balance. In some areas its harder then stock GW, in others its a bit easier. Ive done tweeking to hedgehog and depthcharge decent rates (to match my own research), removed reloads from some uboats, and added to others, ive also messed with the damage system a bit (which ill revert if the new damage system in the next version of GW agrees with me). Ive also done other stuff like increase stock wave heights (which makes things harder in a bad storm), alterd the 24 hour crew so its a bit less anoying, changed some of the torpedo loadouts (mainly to get rid of some of the torps i dislike), I also uped the reload speed to match my data on reload speed (and i pretty much never rapid fire more then 20 rounds with out a long pause to assess damage and move more ammo up), plus a pile of other ones i dont remember, or arnt worth mentioning

All of my own tweeks are generaly small ones :) And none of them are cheat ones (i honestly dont see the point even in private play). Just my interpretation of what is realistic.