PDA

View Full Version : Discipline on Patrol

Notewire
09-05-06, 10:27 PM
I have read recently that some players do not load torpedo's in heavy weather, a very sensible self applied rule that perfectly models the way Unterseeboot Kaluens worked their external torps.

I realized that my brother and I have a whole system of self-applied rules, and was wondering if anybody else did this? Maybe sharing the rules could enhance gameplay experience?

Here is an unedited list of self applied rules, let me know what you think:

Here are the rules we play by:

1. I never use the HUD, except to check on reports that don't come verbally, and once in a long while to set my exact course or my exact depth. I rarely even use it for depth, preferring to say "dive the boat" and wait until I am at the desired depth, and then I say "Level the boat". So basically, no HUD. It is easy to rely on the HUD when you are pursuing, but I will get to that later.

2. Never pause the game in contact, or for a false reason. The only good reason is if your wife is calling.

3. I never use F12 in contact, every other patrol I let myself use F12 during the patrol because the game is so beautiful I can't miss watching my U-Boat go by - but only every other patrol, and never to cheat in the game.

4. I only use the Mouse to move between stations, for the most part. With the commands.en that I am sending with this email, you can use F3 to get to the conning tower, check your heading (no hud needed), you can set your torpedos and everything you need for the weapons right from there, and then you can click on the periscope to make that work. I use CTRL F5 a LOT, to get to the Navigators station, I use the fakey Navigator map (F5) as little as possible, but you have to use it to zoom and adjust the map, but once it is set, and I am cruising along for the night, I use CTRL F5.

5. I sleep 6 hours a day, or 3 minutes at 128. With the shoot file if you say "I'm going to bed" it puts you in bed and automatically sets it to 128. I put my view directly to my pillow, so I can't see anything else, and let three minutes go by. If the crew wakes me because something happens, I still wait the three minutes - figuring, hey, it would have probably taken me two minutes to get my boots on anyway. The only exception is if there is a airplane sighted. Every time the 128 time stops (you can tell) I click my HUD on and then off real quick, to simulate checking my watch and seeing what they woke me up for.

6. When the red lights are on, the lights in my room go out, otherwise, I play with the lights on.

7. Ok, this is more of a voluntary one, but it is how I play. This has to do with career progression. When I start a new guy, I roll a 1d6 to see what flotilla he is in 1-2 = 1st Flotilla, 3-4 = 2nd Flotilla, 5 = 7th Flotilla, 6 = 5th Flotilla (Training). If I get 5th Flotilla I do an academy mission, any one, randomly selected, and then try again. I ALWAYS start new guys in Sept 1939. Once I have a Kaptain that retires, I allow myself to start a new boat - from the flotilla he retired in - with the Captains name being one of his crew - basically, I only advance through the war by retiring crews. If a U-Boat gets blown up, I roll a 1d6 again, if I get a 1-3, I start another guy from the retired crew of the previous U-Boat. If I get a 4-6, I start the war all over again. This makes the point of a successful Captain moving up through the ranks, getting better boats and better flotillas to leave for your crew, and then living to retirement. Those are my goals in the game.

8. When I have the earliest Sonar, I use the "bubbles" ambient noise that comes with IUB 1.03. Once I upgrade to the second level Hydrophones, I use the ambient "hiss" that is easier to detect ships - and comes with the game (you will find it in your back up files.

9. Oh yeah, I never exceed 128 speed, ever, not for any reason ever. I picked 128 because it allows me to play about a day per day, with the breaks, I usually can get about 24 hours in at 128. Also, 128 is the max speed that you can get aircraft warnings in time to react to the aircraft before being bombed and killed. I set myself a max of 32 speed when in contact with the enemy, but that is rarely an issue.

10. Ok, last one - the Intel dumps from the Intel engine, I allow myself to get an intel dump when I use the radio to report to BdU, I figure, there has to be SOME reason to do that. But, I limit it heavily by rolling a die. In 1939, I need a 1 on a 1d20 to receive an intel update. 1940-1941 - 1 on a 1d12. 1942 1 on a 1d8, 1943 and beyond, 1 on a 1d6. This reflects the growth of German Radio stations and networks of transmitters, as well as German Radar.

11. Man the bridge, when leaving the harbor – enter and leave the harbor under your own command. Take your men out, and bring your men home.

12) Only Steam torpedoes in the external tanks, only reloading on the surface, in daylight, with under 7 knts of wind - as that was the only way it could have been done.

13. Using SH3 Gen to create your intel reports. This should be done at the start of a mission, when you have left the harbor, you will then open your orders and get your intel report. If you have completed all your assigned missions, you may radio in a patrol report and get another intel dump – or, if you have gone for two weeks with no contact, you may radio in a patrol report and get another intel dump. Be advised that these will give away your position.

1939:
Intel Amount - 5 - as the intel community is new to the war, but Germans are known for solid staff work.
Intel Reliability - 5 - because it is average, peacetime intel.

1940:
Intel Amount - 7 - as the intel community develops
Intel Reliability - 7 - as the Germans have the advantage in intel, and are on the move.

1941:
Intel Amount - 9 - Again, better staffs, more spies, etc.
Intel Reliability - 8 - As this is the height of German Power.

1942:
Intel Amount - 10 - Fully developed wartime intel.
Intel Reliability - 6 - Starting to loose the edge in codebreaking/ loosing control of the air.

1943:
Intel Reliability - 4 - Lost the air fight, loosing the electronic fight, German power waning badly.

1944:
Intel Reliability - 3 - Most of what we know, the enemy wants us to know.

1945:
Intel Amount - 8 - High command is understaffed.
Intel Reliability - 1 - They are lying to us!!!

Vader 1
09-06-06, 12:25 AM
Man this is hard core....could you explain #10 I don't follow what you mean by a "I need a 1 on a 1d20 " I understand you need the number 1 but don't follow the 1d20

Thanks in advance
Vader

Notewire
09-06-06, 05:32 AM
Well, it's about using the SH3 Gen to get intel generated, which is really helpful, but gives a lot of information. I physically roll a die (we call that mechanical random number generation) to see if I can get some more intel, every time I make a patrol report.

By the way, has anybody found another reason to use the Patrol Reports?

Yarre Notewire

Darkseed
09-06-06, 06:00 AM
May I ask how you can use higher than x32 TC while not in the navigation screen? I'm guessing you've set 3Drender in the main.cfg to 128? I wanted to do that too but it would tire my men way too quickly.

Notewire
09-06-06, 07:52 AM
Hmm, Darkseed, it has been a long time since I messed with that one. Sometime in 2005 I set my max TC to 1028 in 3D rendered mode in main.cfg, and never looked back, and I did not so I could TC in 3d mode, but because I wanted my crew to fatige realistically.

I currently am using the GW 8 hr fatige mod - which I love because the crew (quite realistically in my mind) gets tired after an 8 hour shift, and is almost useless after a double shift.

I really do like the morale system of the NYGM fatigue, but am looking for a system that works on an 8 hour shift, but still uses the effects of morale (increased morale if you sink a ship, decreased morale if you patrol endlessly without a kill) to determine crew efficiency.

Does anybody know of such a fatigue model, and where to get it?

clive bradbury
09-06-06, 08:51 AM
Man this is hard core....could you explain #10 I don't follow what you mean by a "I need a 1 on a 1d20 " I understand you need the number 1 but don't follow the 1d20

Thanks in advance
Vader

He will be throwing 2X10-sided dice - my guess is that he is a old table wargamer from way back...

kylania
09-06-06, 10:38 AM
don't follow the 1d20
1d20 is a way of saying "roll one 20 sided die to generate a number from 1 to 20". It's based on the set of dice most commonly used for Dungeons and Dragons and more recently the d20 system of games. Rather than use the full D&D set of d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 and d20 they redesigned the system to use mostly just d20.

You can get a 20 sided die for less than $1 at your local hobby store, or use an online dice roller (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm) if you'd like.

SeaWolf IV
09-06-06, 12:27 PM
Dude thats a too hard core for me, but then again I play other games besides this one.

Anachronous
09-06-06, 01:05 PM
I was going to post a thread asking if anyone plays this game in realtime with no fast forward. :P

I guess that would be the next step :P

This definitely is hardcore.

mr chris
09-06-06, 04:03 PM
Love the way you use SH3 Gen. Am think of joining you on that one:up: