PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding distant visual contacts on Nav map with GW.

von Zelda
09-02-06, 07:59 PM
Here's my problem: I'll site and lock (L button) a distant (in excess of 4km+) contact with the periscope. By the time I switch to the Navigation map to mark the spot of the contact, I can see the little red square with tail disappearing from the map. Obviously, the lock mechanism is going off as I switch to the Nav screen but it seems to me that the little square contact mark should stay on a little bit longer. When the contact gets closer, the periscope will stay locked all the time and the problem therefore does not exist, but I like to have the targets course, the intercept course and AOB figured out well before this close range. It seems to me that in the stock SH3 the contacts stayed on the screen longer than in GW.

Is there a way to go into any of the cfg files and increase this detection time? If that'is even what it's called.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Kpt. Lehmann
09-02-06, 08:20 PM
Well, first off... all of the contacts in GW should be grey.

If you have further modded your copy... it is more than difficult to address the possible causes. There could be millions of combinations.

Shahed
09-02-06, 08:25 PM
Yes you can decrease the detectioin time. It's in the /data/cfg/sim.cfg.

If it's red on your map it's not GW or it's modded GW (e.g wiht a ship mod and/or the map files themselves).

Also it can sometimes go off the map quickly if it's ouside the allowed detection parameter (visual) under the current conditions (weather).

von Zelda
09-03-06, 09:10 AM

If you have further modded your copy... it is more than difficult to address the possible causes. There could be millions of combinations.
I stand corrected, the contacts I referred to in the original post were in deed grey not red. I must have had a senior moment!

In the stock SH3 I found a way to increase visual sensitivity. I just tried it out with Grey Wolves by making a comparison with and without the minor change. I used the single mission "Happy Days" submerging a type VII to periscope depth with the convoy at zero bearing. I raised the periscope and made sightings of ships that were furthest away. Using the weapons officers help, I requested TDC information.

The results of an unscientific test were: stock GW mod allowed me to get targeting data at about 6000m+/- with repeated attemps while my small change in a cfg file resulted in targeting data at about 8900m+/- fairly consistently.

Open the sensors.cfg file with notepad at the path SH3/data/cfg/sensors and locate the line visual range factor=1.4 ;0.5 and change it to read visual range factor=0.0001

Don't forget to backup the original file before making any changes!

I believe this will also increase the range at which lookouts will spot contacts as well.

Would appreciate any comments.

kylania
09-03-06, 11:33 AM

I had a wierd thing the other night, the map icon was indeed grey, but when you zoomed in on it and the little ship "line" drawing for the ship itself was red!! At least I think it was my GW install.. it's a bit foggy.