PDA

View Full Version : Respect

Safe-Keeper
09-02-06, 12:31 PM
Dang. wrong forum:damn:.

I got to thinking about the respect system in SWAT 3 during a Silent Hunter III patrol. The way I remember it (it's been a long time), your team started with a collective level of respect towards you (measured in percents). Depending on your achievements in-game, respect either increases or decreases. Make mistakes, and it goes down. Lose squad-members, and it goes down. And on the other hand, when you pull off a textbook operation and free all the hostages without casualties, their respect goes up.

Respect is important in SWAT 3 as it influences how well your men carry out their orders from you. If it decreases too far, they'll be less responsive and may even choose to disobey an order altogether. Not a good spot to be in.

I was wondering if you'd like this come Silent Hunter IV. Your crew starts with so-and-so much individual or collective respect of you, and as the career progresses, you gain or lose respect.

Butt kicked by unarmed fishing boat? Too many hours spent discussing tactics with Grigory Liarchin's ghosts? XO not believing that Mercury's retrograde affects your vulnerability to enemy fire? Respect goes down.

Entire convoy of two destroyers and twelve merchants sunk by your submarine while you were on-deck? Respect goes way up.

I think this could work pretty well in Silent Hunter IV. I'm not sure how much of an influence it'd have, and I'm not sure about how to implement it, but I think Ubisoft could make it work.

What I'd not want to see is mutiny as a result of poor low respect. As far as I know, there's never been a mutiny on an American warship or submarine, except from in Robinson's (?) The Shark Mutiny (which was a splendid book:up:) Maybe you could lose your command out of poor respect, but no mutinies.

Marriott
09-02-06, 12:43 PM
hmm that seems like an interesting idea. That would add another aspect of realism to the game. Maybe even make it so that crewmembers are randomly chosen to be easier to respect/disrespect you, so some are loyal to the end, another might take a while to lose or gain respect and another might lose/gain respect quickly.

mountainmanUK
09-02-06, 02:22 PM
Wow!!! Interesting idea!!

You would really have to be careful not to leave Fritz up on watch during a storm for 24 hours without relief!! He might possibly lose a little respect for you!;)

Dunno how it could be implimented into SHIV, perhaps along similar lines to the fatigue, or renown, systems??

Cheers