PDA

View Full Version : A breath of fresh air?

Notewire
09-01-06, 04:38 PM
Here is an idea I had. I was fiddeling with the crew's fatigue - and I really like the GW 8 hour level. I know from being a military man, that at least on the ground - eight hours of a watch will wear you out - completely. Good soldiers can stand an 8 hour watch, I usually switch them at four on the line.

Anyway, I LOVE micromanagement of my crew, I think it is a big part of leadership - and because I play on pretty slow TC (never above 128, rarely above 32) I don't mind taking the time to do it.

However, I had an idea. It seems that it would be a great boost to the men's morale if I rotated them through the watch tower - giving them eight hours of fresh air and a chance to see the night sky.

Can any of the brilliant modders out there come up with something that either 1. Slows morale decay when they are on the surface watch, or 2. Gives them a slight morale boost for getting some time on the surface?

Has this been done before, if not, it doesn't seem that hard with the cfg files, but I don't want to screw anything else up - any help from the modders out there?

Thanks in advance,
Respectfully,
Yarre Notewire,
U-9

Sailor Steve
09-01-06, 05:22 PM
I use the 24-hour fatigue myself, and you may notice that during a storm a lot of them don't last 4 hours, much less 8, which means you must submerge in bad weather. I like that. Personally, I don't like micromanagement to the point where I tell each man what to do. I would much rather have them rotate stations on their own. Most sailors I've known are smart enough to go off duty at the proper time, and if they didn't the chief would jump on me...I mean them, so the captain didn't have to.

If you want to use the bridge to give your men a breather, make sure that they also spend time in the engine room. They will tire much more slowly on the bridge than down there.

Anachronous
09-01-06, 11:21 PM
For me the micro-management is a little too much. I feel like I need to tell each man when its bed time. Like I spend my time wandering the boat tapping shoulders and saying "Get your jammies on"

Would be great to assign watches (Groups). A group of crew assigned to certain stations during certain times. Which automatically switch over during either time or events.

Still micro managment to a degree, but not so much.

Kpt. Lehmann
09-02-06, 07:04 AM
Here is an idea I had. I was fiddeling with the crew's fatigue - and I really like the GW 8 hour level. I know from being a military man, that at least on the ground - eight hours of a watch will wear you out - completely. Good soldiers can stand an 8 hour watch, I usually switch them at four on the line.

Anyway, I LOVE micromanagement of my crew, I think it is a big part of leadership - and because I play on pretty slow TC (never above 128, rarely above 32) I don't mind taking the time to do it.

However, I had an idea. It seems that it would be a great boost to the men's morale if I rotated them through the watch tower - giving them eight hours of fresh air and a chance to see the night sky.

Can any of the brilliant modders out there come up with something that either 1. Slows morale decay when they are on the surface watch, or 2. Gives them a slight morale boost for getting some time on the surface?

Has this been done before, if not, it doesn't seem that hard with the cfg files, but I don't want to screw anything else up - any help from the modders out there?

Thanks in advance,
Respectfully,
Yarre Notewire,
U-9

Fatigue progression in GW is determined by the crewman's compartmental assignment, sea state, and being in combat are all modelled into the GW 8 and 24 hour fatigue variations. Stress from these variables translates directly into the rate of fatigue progression on the individual crewman. Notably... some compartments are more stressful than others. The torpedo rooms are the worst. Bridge watch is arguably the most important job on the boat... and creates a fair amount of stress... mostly due to environmental conditions.

U-boat bridge watches in real life were only four hours... where as engine room watches were generally six hours on and six hours off... Engine room personnel were exempt from bridge watch.

Surfaced / submerged conditions are modelled in the engine rooms... IE the diesel room is less stressful when submerged... but the E-motor room stress level picks up.

Most of the crew had an eight our watch on station, eight hours on other maintenance tasks, and eight hours off.

The default eight hour fatigue mod in GW is an averaged representation of the same.

Long term "Morale" effects will not be represented in GW as we feel them to be unecessary / redundant in light of all the myriad other reasons that you may need to return to port, and in light of how well we feel the current model works. (Expenditure of all torpedos, fuel, battle damage... etc etc...)