PDA

View Full Version : Taking SH3 Commander to 2.7 ?

Shahed
08-31-06, 07:37 AM
Greetings !

I've got a suggestion for SH3 Commander 2.7 if it is in development.

It would be truly AWESOME if SH3C recorded in the patrol log all attacks, torpedos fired, damage taken, etc.. by event.

Just thought of it, I'm sure it takes a lot of work.

I appreciate this tool immesly. Thanks for SH3C !!!

JScones
08-31-06, 08:06 AM
I actually have a prototype of an "expanded patrol log" plug-in for SH3Cmdr which I developed back in January this year. Works quite nicely and by supporting user-defined filters and editing, turns the default SH3 event log into a fully personalised patrol log. And it supports any language.

The problem is though, with only one of me, explaining how to edit the filters and the like would be too time consuming (as even the most elaborate readme would go unread). I was contemplating releasing a less functional version, but I couldn't bring myself to releasing anything that wasn't up to scratch.

Unfortunately, I have stopped development on the plug-in and have no plans on ever releasing it.

Enchavado
08-31-06, 08:10 AM
Greetings !

I've got a suggestion for SH3 Commander 2.7 if it is in development.

It would be truly AWESOME if SH3C recorded in the patrol log all attacks, torpedos fired, damage taken, etc.. by event.

Just thought of it, I'm sure it takes a lot of work.

I appreciate this tool immesly. Thanks for SH3C !!!

Maybe not all this stuff but I really appreciate the list of FAILED torps, you know the ones that explode prematurally, the ones that impact and not explode at all, etc.

Great if you could have a bonification for that when x number of torps fail.

Good hunting and calm seas

JScones
08-31-06, 08:15 AM
Being an analyst, I'd love to record details of things like all torps fired, torps hit, torps missed etc etc and chart the results to see how good I am.

This detail can be derived from the event log, but time is never on my side to turn it into something easy to interpret.

panthercules
09-03-06, 01:53 PM
What file(s) constitute the "event log" you mentioned? Does the game keep track anywhere of the nationality of the ships that you attack/hit/sink?

An automatically-generated analysis such as you mentioned working on would be really great, BUT I would certainly settle for less. Based on the work you've done so far, is there any chance of developing something similar to the great companion we had for IL-2 (I think it was called "IL-2 Stab" or something like that)? One of the best features of that applet was a War Diary that allowed the player to make their own log entries for each sortie - I had a blast creating my own entries after each flight with that program.

I would love something "simple"/manual like that, which could be opened up/switched to during play and used to enter details about the target, the approach, the torps fired and tactics used, etc. It would be great if it could pick up some basic info from the game (like patrol number, sub type and number, starting base, grid locations and dates and stuff like that), but otherwise it could be largely freeform text entry, and maybe could then integrate somehow into the "personnel file" aspect of SH3 Commander (which I love, BTW).

I think the absence of a meaningful "captains log" function is one of the biggest gaps left in the game. Would love to see it filled even if it isn't "perfect" or fully functional.

kylania
09-06-06, 02:31 AM
I actually have a prototype of an "expanded patrol log" plug-in for SH3Cmdr which I developed back in January this year. Works quite nicely and by supporting user-defined filters and editing, turns the default SH3 event log into a fully personalised patrol log. And it supports any language.

The problem is though, with only one of me, explaining how to edit the filters and the like would be too time consuming (as even the most elaborate readme would go unread). I was contemplating releasing a less functional version, but I couldn't bring myself to releasing anything that wasn't up to scratch.

Unfortunately, I have stopped development on the plug-in and have no plans on ever releasing it.

Boo! :( I found this thread looking for exactly that! A personalized logger. :(

Can you tell me where the default event log is held? All I can find is the 'ships sunk' stuff, not the "chat log".

Notewire
09-06-06, 05:42 AM
Here Here!!

Even without all the technicalities of torpedo's fired, etc, a log that you could actually type in would be great. I can write in for myself when I fired torpedo's, etc, or at least, I could if I could write in my patrol log.

Heck, I would even settle for somebody telling me where the file is that allows me to edit my old patrol logs, then I could keep a scratch pad and import the information.

This is a great concept that hopefully will be integrated someday.

Thanks for all the SH3 Commander work, it is an awesome program that still makes the game refreshing. I just "discovered" the malfunction function, which I love.

Thanks again,
Yarre.

Shahed
09-06-06, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the replies JScones, and everyone else. Good suggestions there.

It would be great if we could find out where the actual log in, we can just fill it in.

:yep:

Notewire
09-09-06, 07:04 PM
JScones, do you know where we can just manually add to the log by any chance?

Thanks if you do, and thanks for all the mods if you don't.

Highest Regards,
Yarre Notewire

JScones
09-09-06, 09:11 PM
Manually editing the file would be a pain considering how it's stored.

How's this: I'll be interstate with RL work for the next two weeks, but when I get back I'll release a basic log editor.

It will be basic - it won't include auto-filtering - but it will allow you to easily manipulate the file and add, edit or delete entries.

It will save your edited log as a separate (ie outside of SH3) CSV file so you can take it from there and import it into MS Office, Frontpage or wherever to further format and manipulate. Maybe I'll also provide the ability to export the log into SH3 format, so you can plug it back into SH3 as well. Dunno yet.

It will be a stand alone product, ie NOT integrated with SH3Cmdr.

It will look somewhat like this:
http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/tmp/PatLogEd.jpg

Hopefully it will be considered useful.

kylania
09-09-06, 09:29 PM
THANK YOU!!

I love you and will submit to the proper operations neccessary to have your children.:o

DarkFolle
09-09-06, 10:01 PM
If u do SH3 Commander v.2.7. please hear my pray

with sh3 commander 2.6 u have as always the no fatigue crew option, but....it's too much no fatigue! can anyone make another option like "more power crew" coz i like to manage my crew, but not with the default crew model of sh3, it's too much exaustive, and with the actual no fatigue u do nothing....i know there's "church u boat crew more power mod", that does what i'm talkin abt, but it doesn't work with sh3 commander 2,6 and GW installed, also i dunno where to make changes....hope u can help guys...manage crew is interesting, just add the church mod i told before, in the options of SH3 Commander v.2.7.

Shahed
09-09-06, 11:24 PM
WOW ! THAT'S AWESOME ! Thank you

Myxale
09-10-06, 03:52 AM
Holy crap! Scones!:o

What were you thinking! Such a great tool! You bloody tease!
#must not lookt at that pretty nifty tool# must not# must not!;)

mr chris
09-10-06, 08:00 AM
Thats excellent work JScones:up: :rock:
Cant wait to try it out.

baxter
09-10-06, 01:50 PM
Thanks, JScones, that will be excellent!

Notewire
09-10-06, 02:39 PM
Wow, Talk about answering the mail, that is GREAT!!!

panthercules
09-11-06, 12:44 AM
Man - this sounds awesome! I don't really understand the implications of the statement that "It will be basic - it won't include auto-filtering - but it will allow you to easily manipulate the file and add, edit or delete entries." - but then again, I don't care! Anything like this would be better than what we have now, so I'm really looking forward to this whatever it winds up being able to do.

It would be even more awesome to be able to have some tiny bit of integration or whatever it would take to maybe have the patrol entries in the personnel file created by SH3 Commander be able to have a link to the appropriate war diary/patrol log entry/file for that patrol, but as I said above I'm not about to look this gift horse in the mouth and will be extremely grateful for anything along these lines.

Gonna be tough to wait these next couple of weeks :yep:

I'll even volunteer to perform the necessary operation on kylania if that would help speed up the process :D

Phylacista
09-11-06, 12:59 AM
Jones thank you - I know that you have said you will not work on SH3 commander after all the trouble you had because your support was superior. Answering a lot of our questions had made many ppl thinking sh3cmdr is responsible for quite a lot.
That is not really wrong, but they thought about bugs - and I think there is a lot good potential that has not been explored by us.

So now that you have been talked into doing this great log - any chance 2.7 is a possibility?

Is it impudent of me if I would like to see a feature where you can manually promote your crew - even if experience is not high enough.
I am doing the increase of experience manually for now and then I use SH3 Cmdr. You can award medals as you please but not promotions. And it would be a great thing to promote a long time Stabsgefreiter to a Bootsmann...

GT182
09-12-06, 07:44 PM
Actually JS's SHIII Commander already does most of this, and I just found it recently. If you "Clilck for Available Actions", then "Update Your Personel File", and once in, select a patrol you've completed.
Here's the Captain's Log for my 26th patrol, 16FEB43 - 28FEB43
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/CaptainsLog26.jpg

Once in that section you'll see Date/Time, Grid and Occurances. Even the time you've sank an enemy ship is shown. It's all saved in Internet Explore somehow, but could it saved to a document file without having to use the internet? If that's how it works.

For me everything done while on a patrol and the time isn't necessary as I keep a paper log of dates/times of the important "happenings", like JS has shown above with his new logfile form. Just changing the way it's saved in SHIII Commander JS might save you more work in the longrun, I think. ;)

Notewire
09-13-06, 05:49 AM
Aye, SH3 commander does do all of that, as does SH3, but it misses important events like, getting depthcharged, diving to the bottom for repairs, etc.

I think that is what we were getting at with the Log updates, that and the ability to add things into your log as a Kapitan would.

Regards,
Yarre

Jager
09-13-06, 08:12 AM
Awesome! :up: I am just wondering, is SH3 Commander compatiable with the mod "U-boat War Ace Campaign v1.92" ?

panthercules
09-24-06, 02:45 PM
Can you tell me where the default event log is held? All I can find is the 'ships sunk' stuff, not the "chat log".

I stumbled on this last night while I was looking for something else - the "chat log" seems to be kept in the file called "<savedgamename>.crp" in the My Documents\SH3\data\cfg\Careers\<nameofKaleun>\<highestpatrolnumber> folder.

Been counting the days till JScones returns - his two weeks away IRL should be just about up :) Can't wait to see what sort of goodies he comes up with on this :yep: