PDA

View Full Version : The Grey Wolves campaign

Ian_L
08-29-06, 08:46 PM
Good evening gentlemen (and ladies)!

This is my first post at subsim. I am more of a flight sim enthusiast but I love history and had gotten SH3 when it came out. After a few months I had switched back to flight sims, but recently I checked out the mods and was amazed by what I saw. I just downloaded The Grey Wolves and installed it.

My question relates to the campaign. In the readme, there are several mentions about a mediteranean campaign, scripted / non-scripted italian campaign, etc. Are these just included in the career mode (for example, if you patrol these areas you will possibly see this action on the correct historical dates), or it's a completely new campaign mode that I may have missed in the menus?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Shahed
08-29-06, 10:04 PM
Welcome ! I'm new here too and to SH3 but I'll give it a shot. I think you can trasnfer to La Spezia later in the war and operate from there in the mediterranean. GW 1.2 will have an anhanced Med campaign, more bases etc.. check the mods workshop for details. If you do go through Gibraltar, there is a lot of action in the Med. The theater is definetly alive. Give it a shot if you have the range. Around late 42, Oran, Algers, Tobruk are rich in troop transports. I've met a BB task force near Malta as well, too fast to catch but got witin 8 kms of them. Great place to play, you do need to be patient, as always.

edit: Forgot to mention, I also ran into a huge convot of tankers, troop transports just inside the Gibraltar strait.

Another place which can be interesting if you are extremely patient is the area around Trinidad, Liners and tranports can be found in convoys there as well. Although I never found the Curacao-NY-Curacao convoy after searching for it for more than a month.

Pants
08-29-06, 10:11 PM
Hi and welcome to you both to subsim :up:
We ( GWX devs ) are continuing to make the game more realistic ( within game engine ) and more fun to play..can't say much about the new GWX however you will find alot more things to do in campaign mode :up:

Load those fish and happy hunting :arrgh!:

kylania
08-30-06, 08:21 PM
New player here too, but I ended up installing Grey Wolves my first night (after doing 3 of the training missions) so pretty much have played it exclusively my whole time. I love it.

I also sense, and maybe one of the devs can confirm, that they are going for realism while at the same time remembering it's still a game and still has to fun to play. I play SH3 because it's a challenge and almost freighteningly fun. I enjoy the realism mods, but while 80% failure rates with throwing oily rags at news reporters might have been true in WWII, it's no fun to model that exact failure rate when you're playing a game in which tossing an oily rag at someone is fun. :) There's a fine line between a realistic simulator of commanding a U-Boat and a realistic simulator of losing a war.

That said, I also have a NYGM install, but it's set to 100% realism for Wolves at War, and quite frankly it's a wonder my crews haven't mutineed against me!! I think I'm going to give that another shot with some of the more "gaming friendly" features turned back on soon before discounting it totally.

I'd definately suggest that you install Generic Mod Enabler (http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html) and test out any mods that strike your fancy. It makes uninstalling ones you don't enjoy a snap. The community of SH3 is genious and very inventive with the mods for this game.