PDA

View Full Version : Minefields & subnets in GW mod

guforso
08-26-06, 08:48 AM
Hi all,
there's a (realistic) way to detect mines and nets in enemy harbors? Or avoid them is only luck?
Thank you.

bigboywooly
08-26-06, 10:35 AM
Hi all,
there's a (realistic) way to detect mines and nets in enemy harbors? Or avoid them is only luck?
Thank you.

I and a lot of others use SH3Gen which will plot the minefield on the map for you with varying degrees of accuracy

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=93272&highlight=SH3Gen

von Zelda
08-26-06, 07:57 PM
There is another way to see all the minefields and subnets in SH3. Some folks may call it cheating but Id rather think of it as Military Intelligence. It's the same kind of information you get in the pull-down chart of the friendly harbors in GW's navigation map.

Find and open the Silent Hunter 3 directory and locate the campaign.rnd file. The path is Silent Hunter 3/Data/Campaigns/Campaign/Campaign.rnd

Now, COPY the Campaign.rnd file to anywhere under MY DOCUMENTS where you can easily find it later.

With the SH3 disk in your drive, open SH3 Mission Editor. Click on the file icon and locate the copy of campaign.rnd which you saved in My Documents. Double click to open and then you can zoom into any area of the map you want information on. Note: you need to change the time frame on the map because minefields and subnets will appear at different times beginning in 1939 to 1945.

You can even carefully delete all the random ship movements so you have nothing left but the minefileds and sub nets; then resave under a different file name.

There's also a handy measuring tool in Mission Editor. Take 2 or 3 measurements to a particular point on the Mission Editor map and then plot the same point on your SH3 navigation map.

I hope this is helpful.